Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another question..re. settlements vs. perm. disability
I am confused about a couple of terms.
1. Re. settlement...is a settlement done just for people who's mmi says they can go back to work or does everyone get one.

2. Re. permanent disability...is there a seperate hearing for this and is the amount like a settlement, in the way that you get a certain amount of money ea. week, or is it a 1 time lump sum.
Also, what defines a perm. disability? If I am told that I will never work full time again and a p/t may be possible with restrictions...what would that fall under?

I read in one of the earlier posts that a perm. disability was if you have any body part/function that is lost. If that is the case, but you can still work P/T with the loss of that function...then what would happen?

Any other differences, similarities other info. on these 2 terms. would be greatly appreciated, since I am obviously very confused between the 2 terms.

OK lets see if I can muddy the waters......your disabilty is for the amount of funtion you have lost...say you can no longer take a 36 in step but only a 24 inch one you have lost 33% but that is just your stride and it may only effect your walk not your whole body so they discount your rating cuz you can be retrained or so they say....ie say you were a dog walker and got hurt and you can no longer walk dogs but they can retrain you to clean cat litter boxes at the same rate of pay ....you have lost 33% of leg stride but not earning potentional....now it makes no difference that you dont wanna clean cat boxes or that you loved walking dogs just that you can be retrained and
earn money so that will drop your rating....and then they will offer you a discounted sum to settle....it their way of letting you know they dont give a rats (Jayne's lame attempt to bypass the Bad Word Filter) on the fact you hate cats and dont wanna clean litter boxes fact is you can sooooo you are crapped out....are you know totally comfussed
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Oh Jayne LOL LOL LOL ROTFLMAO !!!!

LillyWink
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

jayne was wore out last nite......and excited about a pa trip wasnt thinking real well but I do believe its pretty accurate......changing a job you love to a crappy one ....just cuz you got hurt doing your job yep thats about it

foster
in your mind what's the difference between a settlement and impairment benefits?
I think some get them confused.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I was listed by my doctor as a " Permanent Impairment". I am working full time 40 hours a week and then some. I am currently at MMI and had my rating done which was a 19% whole body loss. I have recurring carpal tunnel syndrome/tendonitis/neuropathy. So to answer one of your questions: yes you can be permanent impaired and still work full time. I had to change my career in order to still work. If you cannot do the same job because of your injury, you are entitled to Voc. Rehab. Alot of people on this forum have had that and could tell you what you would like to know about it if interested. Luckily my husband found a job with his company for me which is very easy on my injury to still be employed.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

Thank you for you insight. I can see how there may have been some confusion about what I was asking...I just re-read my post and it must have been my meds. or something, because I was all over the place. Wink.

I had my FCE, which stated that with long term PT, I should be able to work my way back up to a 20 hr. work week, with a load of restrictins.

As for finding work, that is not a concern...my P/T job from prior to my injury, took me back with my restrictions 2 weeks after the injury. They made up a position for me, which is flexible in both the hrs. and the job. So, I won't need any re-training since this job is here for me.

Now that I am getting close to an MMI, what can I expect to happen next. I have heard the words settlement and Perm. disability. What do each of them mean?

Does everyone get a Settlement? (If a person is found w/ a PD, will they rcv. anything monetarily, over and beyond a settlement? )

Will the i/c have to pay for having to self-catheratize myself for the rest of my life? (Perhaps this is part of the settlement.)

I hope that clears up some of the questions about my original post.

Thanks again.

there is no pain and suffering $$ in workers comp. There is only money for benefits.
when someone is MMI there is only permanent impairment and future medical benefits available.
some people call it a "settlement" when they get a lumpsum buyout of the impairment and medical. That of couse requires a guess as to how much medical you will need.
otherwise you get the impaiment benefits in regular checks and the medical when you need it.
so in many states the difference in a workers comp settlement is whether you get the "guesstimate" all at once or an exact amount periodically.
does that make sense?
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Oh, thank you so very much, that is just what I was wondering. I had a different idea of what a "settlement" was and thought that everyone had to take one. But the way you descibed it, make much more sense now.

And it looks like what I was calling Permanent Disability is really a Permanent impairment.

Does the injured employee have the choice if they don't want to settle and just keep taking checks, or will that be detrmined by W/C? (Or does it vary for ea. case?)

Thanks again.

no one can make you settle ever, but each state has a limit on weeks you can collect you may come to the end of that.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Process for Settlements in Illinois InjuredinIllinois 8 1,602 11-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Disability Rating question -lumbar spine 57% RootsGal 14 8,763 12-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Last Post: RootsGal
  NC - perm partial disability - multiple MDs to rate the part for different Dx HeyNowNC 3 3,016 07-31-2016, 01:02 PM
  Back at work but now issued P& S with perm. Restrictions Worriedgirl 52 21,878 05-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  perm total disability awarded/atty fees lisawilson7991 4 5,911 07-29-2014, 10:17 PM
  MSA - Settlements- SSDI and\or RTW vinga 3 5,243 02-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Quick question about Lumbar injury, rating, and state disability Frayed 17 28,258 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Frayed
  settlements/mmi/fce FunPops 1 2,630 10-14-2013, 06:19 PM
  Question regarding Appeal of MMI and Disability kerrtxgjg 1 4,675 07-22-2013, 11:07 AM
  finally getting perm rating, now what?? constantpain 5 5,265 06-12-2013, 11:32 AM