Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Kitty puppy problem...
so there was this cat that we saw around our house quite a bit. He wouldn't come near us but I fed it a few times and it took up residence on our front porch. We let him in on really cold nights and is really lovable now. Turns out he is a she and I think she is pregnant! We obviously don't have the money to take her to the vet. If I take her to a shelter they will spay her ...regardless of pregnancy. I'm all for spay/neutering but I don't think I could do that. I wouldn't mind keeping her while she had them and trying to find them homes but I have never had a pregnant cat before. Any advice?
I know that God will never give me more than I can handle.
I just wish he didn't trust me so much.
-Mother Teresa

well pregnant momma cats USUALLY do pretty well on their own; by that i mean nature takes its' course. momma cats need extra nutrition in the form of quality cat food; table scraps are a no-no.

if the cat is pregnant the gestation period is usually about 2 months. momma cat will disregard whatever excellent birthing area you provide and decide to have those kittens where SHE thinks is best, be it a basket of freshly laundered clothes or your lovely expensive lingerie drawer.
again MOST momma cats birth their kittens just fine but there can be complications just like in humans..........

i know how you feel about this stray (my ex always called me the patron saint of wretched animals everywhere) but there are some other things to consider:

momma cat may still be a he or a she who's not pregnant-when my dgt was younger and excitedly told me "sophie is pregnant" I knew something was wrong because 18 y/o sophie was spayed years earlier; turned out she had a tumor. there are other conditions that could cause the stomach/abd area to be enlarged..........do a little on-line research........the internet is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

i don't know what type of area you live in (urban, rural etc.) but if you're near/in a large urban area you and cat (what are you calling this poor creature?) may be in the best situation. you may find vets/programs for people with reduced incomes; no-kill shelters (which would include no-spay); vet schools who may offer services (although some only offer services for very sick/injured animals or non routine problems); some of the larger chain pet stores also offer more reasonably priced vet services.

IF you keep cat and she is a momma cat I would urge you to make contact with a shelter that will not adopt out the kittens without having the adoptive parents agree to spay/neuter them at the appropriate age (usually a voucher is given for this surgery); if you adopt them out yourselves please screen the adoptive parents well. Spay momma cat after she has the kittens.

i would love to say send me some kittens but don't imagine that is very pratical. i hope that some of this helps. Plus let me say thank you for cat for feeding and taking cat in---------goodness knows, cat isn't going to say it!
nurse83

"After all, tomorrow is another day." Wishing you a better tomorrow!

Wow, I think you should have been a vet Nurse83 Smile That was great advice and since I have only ever had one kitty puppy and she is spayed I know NOTHING about kitty puppies who might or might not be having kitty puppy babies. Let us know what you find out and thanks for giving her/him? such a great home Smile
Please click the link below to help provide food for homeless animals. It's free and only takes a second of your time! Thanks Smile
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

[IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l298/dominic1964/smokieonbed.jpg[/IMG]

Then after the kittens are weined, send them to Jayne. She loves them.

there is a site called spay and stay..usually will do momma and the babies either free or very small donation..they also help in finding good homes for the babies...let me know

http://catsinthenews.blogspot.com/2004_1...chive.html

admin Wrote:Then after the kittens are weined, send them to Jayne. She loves them.
ADMIN TO THE WOODSHED NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Admin you better build a bigger woodshed for our visit to your house ... We dont like flying huge bugs

Can we have a huge tv and spa in it please ...

The cat, we'll call her Tranny for now since she was a boy and is now a girl, would have gotten pregnant sometime in January. I did some research online and this is why I think she's a she and she's pregnant... First, that week or so in January she wasn't hanging around our porch that often and we would hear the mating screeches all the time. At first we thought it was another cat then we found out it was her. This hasn't happened since and I found out their cycles are about every 10-14 days. She eats a lot more now. Her tummy is bigger and has that round shape like she ate too much. She is also more affectionate. The best I can guess is that she would be no more than 4-5 wks along and full term is about 9wks. Here is a photo of her and one from above so you can see her belly. The only other thing I think it could be is just gaining weight from eating regularly. I have tried to feel her tummy to see if I can feel anything move but can't feel anything and don't want to poke. I'm kind of worried about how I handled her before I knew she was pregnant, picking her up by her mid section and kicking her out of the way when she wlks right in front of me while I'm walking. Not forcefully kicking, more like putting my foot up against her mid section and pushing her out of the way... but now that I think about it, I have kicked her when I don't see her and accidently kick her with my walking motion. An ex-boyfriend's cat had kittens once and none of them lived. That was my only experience with this so I can't help feeling like it going to happen with her. Right now she living in our garage I leave the door up a few inches so she can get out but rarely leaves and sleeps all the time. I know cats do this but before she would go roam a few times a day. I would keep her inside more but I don't have a litter box. I took a large box top and put in some of this corn cob stuff we have (bunny litter) and put it in the garage but she has not used it. So I'm worried that she is not litter trained and is 'going' or gonna start going in my garage and house. Why no table scraps? I've always given my cats sandwich meat and tuna but I know tuna isn't good for pregnant people so probably not cats either. Thanks for the link crabby I will check it out. Thanks to all for the advice. Sorry it's so long but you know how I ramble...
-Mother Teresa

Let momma have her babies. By instinct she will know what to do. Enjoy the babies for 6 or 7 weeks. They are so much fun, especially if you have children around. Then, take a very tall box. Write in felt tip "Cute Kittens, $5.00 each". Now sit out in front of WalMart or a very busy grocery store, or have your kids do this if they are old enough.

People will stop and look if you have a price. It puts a value to the babies. If anyone says they would love one but they don't have $5, then say, "if you promise to provide a good home, I will let you have one for free." What a bargain.

Then, have momma sprayed and live happily ever after.
Let Go, and Let God......

I don't think I could do that. Too many horror stories about what happens to them...
-Mother Teresa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Got myself into a HUGE problem....just by being nice! bagpussinamerica 3 2,373 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Last Post: bagpussinamerica
  My injured kitty Kiowa bodybuilder1958 0 1,279 01-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
  My poor sick kitty bodybuilder1958 1 2,213 03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Last Post: jayne
  New Puppy Cervical_Fusion 2 2,496 01-26-2011, 03:48 AM
Last Post: NVworker
  The puppy (bronco) is growing bronco54501 2 3,208 09-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  New Puppy Cervical_Fusion 30 11,203 01-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Houston, we have a problem Bad Boy Bad Boy 10 5,505 05-22-2009, 07:26 PM