Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injured nurse.......doctor cancelled spine surgery
I posted several months ago about my best friend whom worked as a floor nurse at a local hospital.

She was injured last spring when a patient went to fall and was injured blocking the fall.

My friend has nerve pain and herniated disc in her back. She was scheduled to for surgery last September although it was cancelled due to the wc ins not approving the surgery.

The pain has gotten worse for my friend, medication has been increased and she works light duty half days at the hospital.

Surgery has been cancelled twice since September with wc denying treatment. She went to court last month with the judge approving treatment and surgery.

Surgery was scheduled for next week and the ortho called my friend today and told her he wanted her in his office immediately.
When my friend arrived at the doctor's office he was going over her MRI. The nerves in my friend’s spine have fused together from inflammation and the doctor says no medical treatment.

Surgery has been cancelled as it will make the pain worse and there would be a high risk of being left paralyzed. The doctor told my friend she is likely totally disabled with the only treatment being pain management.

The doctor's office received a call from the ins co today....they approved surgery.

I hope your friend has a good attorney, and that her Ortho will give testimony to this problem. I hate the fact that the W/C I/C can have so much control over what the doctors are allowed to do and when they can do it. Too many people become worse because of the delay in necessary treatments or surgeries. It totally SUCKS. Sorry for the rant, but your friend story hit a nerve. I hope that they find some way of helping her.

Thanks vichinat

It has been a rough afternoon. My friend signed on with my attorney and he is very good, I know him well enough to know he will be very mad when he hears about today.

My friends back problems have been very bad for months, there are days she has trouble moving her feet and she has been unable to work much lately.

The diagnosis is called arch something.

I understand what you say about this hitting close to home.

BK - I am so sorry to hear of this. Pisses me off so badly I don't even know what to say. Will put her in my prayers. I hope atty is able to take IC co. for as much as he possibly can on her behalf...not that money replaces her health but maybe it will teach them a lesson.
Please click the link below to help provide food for homeless animals. It's free and only takes a second of your time! Thanks Smile
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

[IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l298/dominic1964/smokieonbed.jpg[/IMG]

My prayers are going out to your friend hun. I hope the attorney can help her.
GOD BLESS OUR COUNTRY AND OUR PRESIDENT!

What a bunch of Bull****!
So what is it? WC/IC are now allowed to totally disable people??
I hope the lawyer can sue the pants off someone! They should be held accountable for not allowing her the medical assistance she needed so badly, in a timely manner!
Lilly
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

I just returned from my visiting my friend, her diagnosis is - arachroiditis.

From my understand the doctor is saying one of two things caused the condition

Spinal epidurals - When the last two were done peron doing it got spinal fluid and had problems "getting in"

Lack or delay of medical treatment "surgery"

BK,

first, my prayers are with your friend: that she will be able to have a comfortable existence both with her pain and that she will receive the largest settlement in history!

this is so maddening------for years in the private sector I have seen the insurance companies take away more and more of the patient's choices and the doctor's choices of treatment but now that I'm in the w/c system and am connecting with so many others I am appalled--------it seems that w/c and the i/c (not to mention our employers) are so upset that we were injured that they decide to make us pay, in more ways than one....

most of us were working to earn a living and provide for a family and the injury not only impairs our ability to provide for our daily needs but threatens our long term financial situation.............our health is suddenly everyone's business but ours................now i know that someone with the voice of reason will say that the system works most of the time, but i say when it goes wrong it goes wrong in a big way......................

being a nurse myself I know that your friend has probably had to struggle to continue working with the problem she had and while she was doing the i/c and w/c were dragging their heels with the result being that she will probably never work again and be in pain and have a reduced quality of life both personally and her family and friends will also be affected.

I am so mad right now!!!!!!!!! This is so wrong!!!!! I also find it interesting that the treatment may have caused this condition along with the delay in surgery...................I have a back injury and have already been put on the delay merry-go-round and epidural injections are being discussed (I have a big problem/prejudice against epdiural injections in any form of long standing)

Best wishes to your friend and I hope her attorney is the biggest shark of them all and takes a chunk out of everybody's (Jayne's lame attempt to bypass the Bad Word Filter) he can!
nurse83

"After all, tomorrow is another day." Wishing you a better tomorrow!

Nurse

You are right on target with my friend. She has struggled to work and never knows from day to day where her job in the hospital will be located. (A desk job) Until recently the doctor kept her at an 8 hour day, I can not think of one day in months that she made it 8 hours. The norm is going to work for 3-4 hrs and the pain gets so bad that she can't continue working. Then she is off work for the next 2 or 3 days due to the pain levels.

The doctor would not change her work restrictions so there has been no pay comming in from wc until January when she went to half day.

This truly is an example of a failed system.

IC are an example of a failed system.............sorry guys blew my top on injured worker.....limping myself off to the woodshed.......may have to stay a week or so this time.....anyone got an extra magazine or a banana
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trip to Dallas with my friend the injured nurse. Bummer Knees 4 1,816 08-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Question on cervical spine Bummer Knees 10 4,333 05-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Last Post: jayne
  MRI of cervical spine Bummer Knees 4 2,584 04-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  The transplant has been cancelled Bummer Knees 3 2,103 05-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Cervical_Fusion
  Question about CT scan for cervical spine Bummer Knees 7 5,834 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM
  Cervical spine Bummer Knees 22 10,609 03-27-2012, 04:59 PM
  Never had this happen, cancelled interviews bodybuilder1958 4 3,354 08-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Questions about the cervical spine Bummer Knees 2 2,362 06-30-2011, 10:26 AM
  Another discussion with Dr's nurse bodybuilder1958 1 2,141 04-25-2011, 07:37 PM
  My doctor's opinion....surgery is needed Bummer Knees 17 8,850 09-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958