Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyrica users

Hi all.....saw my PCP today and he suggested I start taking Lyrica for the nerve pain, insomnia and Until today I didn't know that I had a dx of Fibromyalgia by the rheumatologist I was seeing. Now we all know why I can't get any relief. People with Fibro are med sensitive and pain meds don't work. Hence chronic pain that there is no relief from. Lyrica has just been ok'd by the USDA for treatment of Fibro. Please share your stories with me good and bad. I have heard alot of bad about this drug and nothing good so I'm a little frightened to start it but feel I have no other choice. My PM Dr. is the one prescribing it. I will call my attorney and let him know that since the injuries have flared the fibro up , it must be added to my WC case. Thanks for anything you can give me about this drug. I have already done a search and learned what I could from that, but always prefer hearing it from real people.

CAP

Cap:
DH was on Lyrica after the neurontin didn't help. Unfortunately neither did the lyrica. His chief complaint (besides it not helping) was it made him 'fuzzy' and sleepy, minor complaints compared to some.
Hope it helps you, though.
DH had posterior spinal decompresion, Bi-Lateral laminectomy L3-S1, Excision of L4-5 on L/side. 2/07

Hi Cap, This is my experience with Lyrica:

1st try: Couldn't handle it and after 3 days I became very ill. I felt like a zombie, so I quit taking it on my own.

Went to Neurontin and it worked pretty well.

2nd try: My doctor wanted me to try Lyrica again because he said it is a better drug than neurontin, with less long term side effects. I was very leary. So far there is no generic for Lyrica so you get the real stuff.

To my surprise, it works great. I take 300 mg. per day. At first, it made me a little loopy but not sick. Just enough so I felt like I shouldn't be driving. Now I don't have that feeling. It helps me sleep and controls a lot of the RSD nerve pain. You don't really know how well it is working untl you miss a dose. OMG!

Good luck with it Cap. I've seen the commercials abut Fibro. It makes sense that this is a dx for you, after all your compounding aches and pains. TongueTongue
Let Go, and Let God......

http://www.drugs.com/lyrica.html
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

I was paced on Lyrica immediately after my tarsal tunnel release on 10/22/07, along with vicodin. I started getting very sleepy from the get go, and continue to stay that way after 3 months. I have had my medicines changed up over the past three months with Lyrica being the only one I was on constantly.

I still get very sleepy, although I can only sleep 2 to 3 hours at a time. Along with that, I experience dizziness and disorientation. Since I went back to work on the 16th, there have been several times when I have found myself in the parking lot at work and didn't remember the drive. Others have told me that I have done things that I can't recall, and at times I find myself grasping for even simple words when I talk.

I call Lyrica my 3d med... dizzy, drowsy and ditzy (other wise known as disoriented),

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

made my feet and hand swell so bad my toe nails turned black (like I had stubbed them)
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

I have been taking it for several months without any side effects. It has helped quite a bit with the nerve pain. Took it from such constant and complete nuisance down to a level of generally just a bother. It has not made me sleepy in the least bit. As a matter of fact I ended being given another prescription to take at night so I could sleep.

Cap, I forgot to tell you. Lyrica is notorious for putting the weight on. You really need to drink a lot of water with it, and watch what you eat. Ugh! Tongue

Jayne, I have one black toe nail (my big toe) and can't imagine how it got that way. It's been like that for about 3 months. Doesn't grow out, doesn't hurt, and it's just under the toe nail. Doctor said I probably bruised it and just forgot how it happened. How did you find out it was related to the Lyrica? Tongue

Hi all and thanks. DOesn't sound like a drug I really want to or should be taking. I am a diabetic and if it peaks your appetite so you tend to eat more and gain weight it's a bad deal for me. I have my diabeties diet controlled and do very little to mess with that.

Angel...I understand what you mean about the 3d's. I loved CYmbalta BUT I suffered from the 3 ds's on that.

I'm going to try it. Go into with an open mind and pay attention. This is for pain relief and sleep so unless it does a great job for both I won't continue IF I have side effects. If I can't sleep it's done. I can't sleep taking nothing so there's no point. Here's hoping this works. I have started to excercise about 10 minutes a day. That's as far as my legs will goright now. I was always very physical so maybe if I feel better I can get back into moving and no weight gain will appear. I'm trying to lose 30 pounds since the injuries not gain anymore. Again , thank you all.

CAP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Insomnia and worse pain (Lyrica)H sonny1 0 3,685 03-09-2011, 02:09 AM
Last Post: sonny1
  Lyrica benefits vs. side effects? sonny1 4 7,887 03-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sonny1
  Regular insurance/Lyrica and Tens unit Cookiecrum 9 9,837 12-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Cookiecrum
  Lyrica Bummer Knees 21 11,061 08-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Last Post: sweet tooth
  News on the Lyrica BS Sithie 12 7,173 05-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Sithie
  AOL USERS - PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT EMAIL NOTICE admin 5 5,960 04-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Babebahn