Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh, no she didn't!!
Toungue 
Well gang, i just had a phone call that really has me going....and i'm going to try and calm down, in part, by posting this........and it's 5 o'clock somewhere so maybe the extra bottle of champagne from new year's gets added to some OJ..........anyway, this is what happened....

i called in sick 2 days this week, just couldn't take the pain, could barely go from the bed to the bathroom and just wasn't up to going in to work.........i had a suggestion on here that i should try to work and leave and go to ER if needed but there were some twists to that.........as a nurse you can't leave without proper relief to care for your assigned patients, otherwise it's considered abandonment of patients and the state board will NOT be pleased with you..i knew that my supervisor would not relieve me unless i could answer "yes" to at least 2 of these questions

1) are you in cardiac or respiratory arrest?
2) do you have blood spurting out from an artery?
3) do you have a broken bone poking out from your skin?
4) are you pregnant and is the baby's head out?

my supervisor, who is the administrator of the facility and the corp. HR person called me to inform me that the company would be within its' rights to terminate me because i was "not allowed" to call in sick with a w/c injury?! so i ask them "what are you saying--are you terminating me?" "no" they said but we could..............but i didn't remark on that i just asked what was the "not allowed" part about and got this answer...............

"the doctor said you could work full time with restrictions, so you can't call in sick, you HAVE to come to work"

well i said, "the doctor hasn't seen me in almost two weeks, you mean to tell me that I am NOT capable of knowing if I feel I can come in or not. that my condition could have changed and the doctor couldn't see me until tomorrow."

so they say again "but the doctor didn't give you permission to be off work"

"I don't understand" I said..........any employee can call in sick; what if i called in with a stomach virus or a sick child or a family emergency?

"Oh," they said, "that would be alright" "Yes," said my boss, "you should have lied about why you didn't want to come in, but saying it was because you were injured on the job, well you can't do THAT"
huh?! i should lie-----that's definitely grounds for termination!

so i realized that i was probably going to lose it because i'm convinced that these two are either idiots or just playing idiots so i said "well i'm seeing the doctor tomorrow before i'm scheduled to come into work why don't we see what he says"

"okay" they say but you can't miss work because of an injury unless it's "approved" by the doctor ahead of time conversation over! i can't say i ever heard of this practice before; i think it's just a ploy to intimidate me, in part, because i'm a single mother with prexsisting health issues and they probably think i'll do anything to keep my job and benefits, but they have picked the wrong chick-a-dee to mess with, i detest bullies, always have, and will stand my ground!

i know, i know, i need to assert my right to appropriate medical care(which in my opinion I have not been given) and i need a w/c attorney (a great one) but i can see that this is going to be, as my granny would say, "a long row to hoe" i've only been dealing with this for a couple of months-------- -how do ya'll do it for years?

i'm sorry this is long but i feel better already........and would love to hear some other views on this...........
nurse83

"After all, tomorrow is another day." Wishing you a better tomorrow!

ahhhhhhhhh please be so kind as to tell the Doc that floor nurses were making his decisions for him....if he is anything like the docs around here he will blow a gasket and put you off work for awhile....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

jayne Wrote:ahhhhhhhhh please be so kind as to tell the Doc that floor nurses were making his decisions for him....if he is anything like the docs around here he will blow a gasket and put you off work for awhile....

well, i'm not very impressed or satisfied by him at this point........but it's worth a shot to appeal to the BIG DOCTOR EGO in him, i guess...i'm going to try to get in with my reg. docs......i know both of them would be furious about this.........i hate to be seen as a whiny, slacker (even tho i know i'm not) and goodness knows i need my full income incl. overtime to keep the wolf away from the door (wouldn't you know i finally bought a new car after 15 years and also moved just a couple of months before my accident) but i truly believe i'm just not fit to work right now?
nurse83

I say tell the doctor that they are making you go outside of your restrictions at work and when you called in because of the increase in pain, they threatened to fire you. The way I understood it, and I could be wrong, is if the dr gives you restictions and your work can't stay inside those restrictions, you are supposed to be out of work until they are able to give you work within the restrictions. Tell me if I am wrong guys. Nurse, you really do need to talk with an attorney so you can learn your rights and protect them. I am very thankful I found one. I wish you the best and let us know what the dr says.

I would drink mimosas with you!

did you by any chance put disabilty insurance on that car?

call your regular docs and see if they can speak to this doc maybe they golf together

It's tough, but whether your boss is an idiot or not, you still have to abide by what the WC doctor's note communicates. Otherwise your employer and the IC is going to put you through hell for not following protocol. Your employer could terminate you and the IC would have you where they want you and possibly delay or deny further medical at any hint of refusal. It would have been better to have gone into work and left early due to pain than to have called in sick. Hopefully, the doctor will change your restrictions as you need and wish.

Wink Wrote:It's tough, but whether your boss is an idiot or not, you still have to abide by what the WC doctor's note communicates. Otherwise your employer and the IC is going to put you through hell for not following protocol. Your employer could terminate you and the IC would have you where they want you and possibly delay or deny further medical at any hint of refusal. It would have been better to have gone into work and left early due to pain than to have called in sick. Hopefully, the doctor will change your restrictions as you need and wish.

well, you're right, i don't want to be see as non-compliant because i know how that label sticks with you and can prejudice your caregivers/employers............and truth be told, even tho jobs for nurses grow on trees around here, I don't want to change jobs, I got off the fast track when i took this job and i want to stay off preferably right where i am.........the only thing about going in sick is my boss thinks if u made it thru getting up and getting in u should stay..........plus she likes to come in late and leave early and dump all her unfinished work on me! and she can't come in late/leave early unless i'm on duty.........
nurse83

nurse83 Wrote:well, you're right, i don't want to be see as non-compliant because i know how that label sticks with you and can prejudice your caregivers/employers............and truth be told, even tho jobs for nurses grow on trees around here, I don't want to change jobs, I got off the fast track when i took this job and i want to stay off preferably right where i am.........the only thing about going in sick is my boss thinks if u made it thru getting up and getting in u should stay..........plus she likes to come in late and leave early and dump all her unfinished work on me! and she can't come in late/leave early unless i'm on duty.........

You may have to bite the bullet for a while until you find some way manipulate the situation to your rightful benefit. What ever course you choose, make sure it's in a stealth mode. You're a smart woman. Just try not to let certain emotions override that.

here in okla they cant work you more than 8 hrs in a day while on light duty maybe you can string it out

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CBS Didn't Stop Him Bummer Knees 11 9,195 06-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Last Post: MJC
  If I didn't ahve bad luck... monster 17 6,464 05-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Last Post: MJC
  A crazy morning, the Dr. appointment that didn't happen! Bummer Knees 0 2,480 02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  we didn't start the fire!!! CRABBY 1 2,259 02-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Last Post: CRABBY
  Sorry guys, I didn't mean to monster 8 5,413 04-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Babebahn