Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking for answers
Hi ya'll,

If you've faced this siituation I would really like to hear what you did,
if you know anyone who faced this, if you just have an opinion or if you just want to let me know I'm not alone, I welcome all replies.....

My injury was not as horrific as many, my injuries except for the bruising were not visible to the naked eye but the pain and limitations I have are difficult to deal with.

The company doc sent me back to work on "modified duty" My boss did not tell my co-workers about my restrictions so there was some grumbling when I had to refuse to do certain things until I explained.

Each time I've seen the doctor he's added to my restrictions. He ordered PT but after a few visits the therapist put me "on hold" stating I needed a MRI to make sure that therapy wasn't making an injury worse or if I could work thru the pain. I think this is why the doc finally ordered a MRI (which was finally approved and will be done this Thurs)

At the end of the day (and sometimes the beginning) I'm in so much pain that I'm hobbling around like I'm 150 years old....Last Friday my co-workers were grumbling that I wasn't working fast enough or even enough. I was slowing the process down because I was the only nurse on duty, except for my boss who was in her office doing paperwork. My boss asked me what the problem was and I pointed out that I was working as the doc ordered and he had put a limit on how long I could stand at one time. My boss stated she "had no idea and never heard of such a thiing" I gave her a copy (for the 2nd time) of the sheet with this modification on it. She literally snorted and said oh yeah like that's going to happen.....

I was in tremendous pain all weekend-could move only with great effort and considerable pain-did not leave home-did not do any of my normal activities. I had Monday off and today, still in pain, I called in specifying that the pain from the injury was the reason. I called the doctor's office because my follow up was listed as "prn or 24 hrs after MRI" but was told I couldn't come in until Friday. I'm still in pain and know that going into work is only going to make it worse because I truly believe that work has aggravated my injury. I'm seriously considering calling in again tomorrow....then I'm off Thurs and Fri until after I see the MD at which time I hope to have some answers.

Sorry this is so long.......I guess what I'm asking is what would you do or have you done? No one is going to protect me it seems except me!
I want to be back to 100% or as close as I can get and working normally again. I don't think that's going to happen with things the way they are. Should I go see my own doctors? I'm just feeling very isolated and insecure about my job. My boss has already said I should "never" have reported this injury.........what does that mean?

If you've got any words of wisdom please pass them on

THANKS!!!
nurse83

"After all, tomorrow is another day." Wishing you a better tomorrow!

nurse83 the way things usely go with w/c know one hear anything you say and dont do anything to help if I were you id go to work and if the pain gets to bad id make a call to 911 have them take me to er but thats just me thinkin
I will do one day at a time no more no less

it means you better start interviewing a good WC lawyer right now
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Hey kentucky---well calling 911 would probably get everyone's attention; i'm not sure i'm that brave!!!

jayne, so it's that bad, huh? i thought i was being paranoid; maybe not though

thanks for your replies
nurse83

I agree with Jayne, at least call and have an initial consult with a few attorneys. When you are working you should not do more than your restrictions say. If coworkers are giving you a hard time, or a supervisor is telling you to do it anyway, go over their heads. If that doesn't work, call the dr who gave you the restrictions and get an appointment. When you get to the appointment tell him about them not working with your restrictions. I spoke with my attorney about this issue today and these were his suggestions.

hey ksgirl,

thanks for replying. looks as if i'll be getting my own attorney and guess it's better to do so sooner rather than later to make sure i don't mess anything up.

i have been very careful about following my restrictions; physically i couldn't tolerate doing more. but i really do slow everyone else's work down as well as increasing the patients' waiting time.

i hadn't thought of informing the doctor about the problem but i will on Friday; of course, we're still talking about a doctor that's not working for me but rather is on the "other" side...........

i have other health issues that have to be monitored regularly and will be seeing my PCP and neurologist soon but am thinking I should move those appts up...............

now i have more questions.....if my PCP or neurologist imposed more restrictions or took me off work (due to the injury at work) would my employer have to pay attention to this?..........how would that affect my w/c claim?
nurse83

nurse, my attorney said that even though he is a wc dr, he will be upset if his orders aren't being followed. I don't know for sure about other drs not approved by wc. When I went to that walk in clinic after being MMI, wc hadn't approved it, but my employer followed the restrictions that dr placed on me. They wouldn't let me come back until after I saw my wc dr and got his restrictions. I still don't know if I can go back to work or not.

I'm glad you are concerned about your patients having to wait. It shows you are a good nurse, but if work doesn't think you can "do your job properly" with these restrictions, they need to let you off work and collect ttd until something changes. I am no where near being an expert, but that's my thoughts on everything. When you find something out, let us know.

ksgirl Wrote:nurse, my attorney said that even though he is a wc dr, he will be upset if his orders aren't being followed. I don't know for sure about other drs not approved by wc. When I went to that walk in clinic after being MMI, wc hadn't approved it, but my employer followed the restrictions that dr placed on me. They wouldn't let me come back until after I saw my wc dr and got his restrictions. I still don't know if I can go back to work or not.

I'm glad you are concerned about your patients having to wait. It shows you are a good nurse, but if work doesn't think you can "do your job properly" with these restrictions, they need to let you off work and collect ttd until something changes. I am no where near being an expert, but that's my thoughts on everything. When you find something out, let us know.

thanks for your thoughts--helps me to get my thoughts and gameplan rolling............

and, yes, I've always tried very hard to be a good nurse; the day I stop caring about my patients is the day I'll retire.........

many thanks from the bayou,
nurse83

Your chief complaint is pain. I'm sure you would do your job to the best of your ability were it not for pain. It appears to me that your pain is not being adequately addressed. As a nurse I would hope you are aware of your right to adequate assessment of, and treatment for your pain (which in itself can be disabling). If your physician can or will not adequately address and treat your pain, he has a responsibility to refer you to someone who can. The focus of the pain care bill of rights was to empower people to speak up and not tolerate unrelieved pain.

lostinconnecticut Wrote:Your chief complaint is pain. I'm sure you would do your job to the best of your ability were it not for pain. It appears to me that your pain is not being adequately addressed. As a nurse I would hope you are aware of your right to adequate assessment of, and treatment for your pain (which in itself can be disabling). If your physician can or will not adequately address and treat your pain, he has a responsibility to refer you to someone who can. The focus of the pain care bill of rights was to empower people to speak up and not tolerate unrelieved pain.

you are right, my cc is pain along with numbness, tingling of left arm and leg and having to be up and functioning only makes it worse.

the doc i'm seeing definitely is not addressing my pain as he should and i'm ready to call it quits with him.

i have pre-existing health issues, including mult sclerosis, and i think the doc is trying to write off my current complaint to my other health problems and just get rid of me and close this out.

i believe i need to see my own doctors who are familiar with my case and my history.......i'm willing to see an IME also........i just can't take this much longer
nurse83

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  need some answers elbowinjury101 1 2,960 03-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Help need answers Kuku 13 10,665 05-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Any Answers? dbusic77 14 11,659 01-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Last Post: dbusic77
  Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need answers missmelody 5 5,447 07-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Last Post: missmelody
  Help need answers b8000 4 5,336 07-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Last Post: b8000
  I need some answers. dawnnanette 6 4,737 03-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Last Post: sparkey
  Still looking for answers katzdrm 7 4,876 10-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  Need answers katzdrm 9 5,336 10-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Last Post: lfoster21