Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
does WC take into consideration High Risk Employment?
Sad 
I was looking at the accident report data the other day, I was shocked to see the amount of injuries and accidents that have happened at the factory i work at. There has even been death, these are all things I knew nothing about before starting employment . There has been at least four people with the same injury I have in the last year, some having surgery some not. I hope that the wc board takes these into concideration. Does anyone know if this is common in most factories with repetitive strains and injuries or was I just blind and dumb. If i knew these things prior to taking this job which are hard to find in the area I live, I would have never started. There is at least one injury almost every other day at the place I work, Its funny they even list some as near misses, but do nothing to address the problem of a safe work enviorment. I was even talking with a fellow employee the other day and he said he had been on comp since 1996. Now I know why they just keep offering employees on light duty jobs, which in my case since my dr. did not word my light duty so extensivly, they just take the Dr. words and make you work harder than you did proir to your injury. I think this is so out of control and improper what can I do to make it a better work place.
I asked my employer if I could take one of the objects that caused my injury to my DR. and they said if I did I would be fired and not to even attempt to try to do so. I believe my Dr. would have a much better idea of my injury if he saw what I had to lift every day thousands of times, How can I get my employer to have to show my Dr. what it is I actually do?Sad

talk to your WC worker.....if the IC is having to pay out to many claims they will raise the premiems up high
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

jayne Wrote:talk to your WC worker.....if the IC is having to pay out to many claims they will raise the premiems up high

how high can their premiums go? I was only wondering because I think an employer of this nature shold let their new hires know about the risk they are going to accept. My employer probably does not care how high there premiums are they have been in business for over 40 years and are in 32 different countries. Still that does not help me.

They are probably self insured and have a third party administrator handling the claims.

tourdaddy Wrote:Now I know why they just keep offering employees on light duty jobs, which in my case since my dr. did not word my light duty so extensivly, they just take the Dr. words and make you work harder than you did proir to your injury. I think this is so out of control and improper what can I do to make it a better work place.
I asked my employer if I could take one of the objects that caused my injury to my DR. and they said if I did I would be fired and not to even attempt to try to do so. I believe my Dr. would have a much better idea of my injury if he saw what I had to lift every day thousands of times, How can I get my employer to have to show my Dr. what it is I actually do?Sad

If your employer is forcing you to work outside of the restrictions that your Dr has placed you under, you need to report this to the Dr as well as the IC ASAP!! They are breaking your restrictions, and by allowing them to do so, and by doing so yourself, you are complicit and WC can and most of the time will end your benefits saying that you continued to work outside of your restrictions, so you must not be injured.

As for wanting to take an object or such to your Dr, if they won't let you, get a small camera or even camera cell phone and take a picture of it. Even thought the Dr may not be able to see and feel the actual object, he will at least be able to get an abstract idea of what it is that you are having to use and why it is aggravating your injury or may lay outside the scope of your restrictions.

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

Morning tour>>>My employer is the same way. Multiple departments. My dept has the highest rate of WC claims. Another dept comes second and the rest fall into the same category. They are also the two mostphysical departments and break many safety rules. Yes , we have called the safety inspector many times. My employers premiums have gone up and now they also pay a deductable on every WC claim paid on. Still they have not followed safety regulations.

CAP

Tourdaddy

Each case in WC court is handled independently of each other. However, if a company has a high number of cases - trust me they are well known in the courts and what actions they take and don't take as far as comp goes. Most like they issues have been addressed in court many times.

As far as them having you break your restrictions - remember you are not to break your restrictions. If they are violating your doctors orders then you need to stand up for your rights and also let your doctor know what they are doing. If nothing else describe the piece that you are lifting constantly including size and weight of the object to the doctor and the approximate number of times per minute if you can. If it's a shoulder injury that you have - and your on light duty and you are not suppose to be do repetitive lifting and they have you doing it - trust me your doctor will raise a fit over it. (if he/she is worth anything that is and not for the company)

You may also have avenues within the plant to go to - like the plant safety manager. I know I utilized that option when a supervisor decided to pull retaliation because I reported an injury. It wasn't my supervisor, but the supervisor of the line that caused my injury - trust me he got his butt chewed off and lost his bonus that quarter. Was he pissed at me over that - but I wouldn't take crap from them after already being on comp for 2 yrs and then suffering another injury because of unsafe conditions.

Hi tourdaddy!
I sneaked a camera into my work place and took pictures of the injury culprit that messed me up for life. If i had been caught taking photos....i would have immediately fired on the spot! Be very careful if you decide to do it. NO ONE can witness your picture taking. I gave my pics to the lawyer, and he has them on file. This practice (taking pics) was against ALL company rules in our shop and was concidered one of the biggest no-no's. I have since found out that the injury causer in my case was well known by many people....who had reported it verbally....but nothing was ever done and there is no proof on paper, as formal written complaints were never filed, only the highly popular shift manager was informed. If there had been , i'd have been all over their non actions....and attempted to sue for their complacenty to a safety danger.
Of course your employer doesn't want you to take the work item to the doctor for viewing...as it's no doubt beyond what your set restrictions rules.
Do not...i repeat DO NOT, step outside your doctor's written restrictions, your work place cannot make you, but if they put you in the situation that you must comply, and you are going outside of the restrictions...it's of no fault of theirs...It's your fault for doing it. Report this to your superior, immediately and let him worry about it.
Take care. LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Job threatening to terminate employment 241050 11 5,448 02-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Surgery/ Care and leaving employment. Danek1819 3 1,864 01-18-2018, 03:24 PM
  WKC - termination of employment sbeall 2 1,982 03-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  WC denied settlement bc setaside is too high! Lenaye 7 6,497 03-16-2016, 05:38 PM
  I'm a high income earner, in settlement..can I asK socalnerd 2 2,051 02-29-2016, 03:07 PM
  Employment Status While on WC neckpain101 14 10,433 09-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Last Post: neckpain101
  Are my benifits at risk of being modified if I refuse back surgery? slipperydisc 1 3,505 12-06-2014, 07:30 PM
  Employment Law Attorney 052614 1 2,572 11-16-2014, 02:44 AM
  Settlement in CA and future employment jennifernd 7 8,811 05-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Last Post: hamrs_62
Question Employment question? lizdawiz82 5 5,409 08-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Last Post: lizdawiz82