Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MMI and Perm.Disability info. needed
My situation is this. I have one last procedure to try, to hopfully help with my Chronic pain (due to numerous spine problems). The best case scenario is that it will work and I will be able to cut back on my medications, I will go through a legnthy period of P/T to get back the muscles that have begun to waste away in my leg as well as my core muscles. The procedure will cosist of a stimulator under my skin and attached to the spine area. I will most likely use it for life, but the good news is I won't be in as much pain. I also will have to self-cath. myself 2-3 times a day. With the worse case scenario, the stimulator will not work and I am at the end of any medical help and will get my MMI at that point. I will always have to self-cath., I will continue to be on opiate drugs and in chronic & extreme pain, and will always have to use a cane and a walker.

Sorry that was so long...my questions are these.
1. With my best scenario, I won't be in as much pain but will have to carry a med. sized remote control with me, so that I can "zap" my pain away when ever it comes. I may also have to take a break mid way thru my shift, to do a cath. and it will take longer than a normal restroom break.(That is if 2 times a day is not working well enough.) It is highly likly that I will have repeated bouts of UTI's and will need time off from work. A. During any time off due to medical reasons...will I get paid by the I/C? B.Will I not be considered permanently disabled because I would be able to go to the bathroom as needed and no one would care if I carried my remote control...(even though I don't know who would hire me), but I would be somewhat capable of doing something.)

I hope this wasn't too confusing. BTW, I live in VA.

lfoster21, The scs may not be the last step. In my case the last step would be a pain pump. It to is an implant. As far as the controller for the scs, mine is the size of a cell phone. You use the words "permanetly disabled". It could be that it is a state situation, as I have seen others use it. I have not been listed as permanetly disabled. I have been listed as disabled. I understand that you have medical issues that are different from me, and the only one we share is the scs. But don't think no one will or would hire you because of the scs.

Take Care
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Ifoster21: Read the following about the American's With Disabilities Act (ADA). It answers a lot of your questions, especially about accomodations. http://www.eeoc.gov/types/ada.html

I hope the new procedure works for you. The PT is going to be hard work, and slow, but you sound like you have the right attitude to move forward with your life.

There are a lot of psychological issues that come along with such a life altering disability. I hope you are receiving psycho therapy in addition to physical therapy.

I wish the best for you. Keep up the good attitude first and foremost. Tongue
Let Go, and Let God......

Smile
No. Once you are at MMI temporary disability ends. Intermittent and random lost time would not be compensated in the absence of a new injury. you would continue to receive any permanent impairment payments awarded.
Shy
Permanent disability is a medical determination usually made according to the strict criteria of generally recognized guidelines.
while the presence of a sub or transcutaneous nerve stimulator may indicate a certain level of disability carrying a remote control per se would not be used to rate your functional impairment.
You should discuss disability rating with your treating physician; it is a very complicated subject and not easily delt with on a message board.
Many use the AMA guidelines but Virginia does not specifically require them.
Rolleyes
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Thanks for your replies...I apologize that it has been a while since you wrote these, but I have been sick and unable to sit at the computer. I think I probably worded my message differently, from what I was trying to ask (although I did benefit from some of the answers Wink ).

I am sure I will be able to work with the scs and it's remote, (and I am really glad to hear that it is the size of a cell phone...I was imagining a tv remote.) Anyway, with all that I have gone through and the progressive health issues that are to come...once I have the scs inplanted and now that I have started using a cath., these should put me on the road to a better place!!! My question is, when that time comes and I am able to go back to work part time...will there ever be any kind of compensation for what I've been through, for what I have lost, for having to use a catheter the rest of my life and for having permanent nerve damage in both legs. I am thinking that once a person is able to go back to work (even if it is with restrictions) and they make enough money to equal what the I/C is paying you, then there is no settlement. They are only for those who can't go back to work. Please correct me, if I am wrong, because I have no idea of what to expect to happen, in the comming months or years. I hope this is clearer. BTW, I am in VA.

Thanks to all of you.

I was able to return to work with Permanent impairment. I had my rateing done and waiting on the results still. I would think that you would be entitled to compensation for what you have been through. I did have to change careers, but they do not compensate for that i am told.

When you reach MMI they will tell you that most likely you will be permanent also. Then you will go for a rateing by a certified doctor of your choice and get compensated. I do not know if your state is any different, but you have to reach MMI first. From what you have typed about having the stimulator etc. you have alittle ways to go before you reach that point. Good luck.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. It makes things just a little easier to know what to expect rather than being suprisedWink.

Thanks agian.

Ifoster is going back to work something you want to do or do you feel that is your only option? I think you need a really good attorney if you don't already have one.

I guess a little of both. From what I have heard, once I get mmi...my next step is to find a job that will accept me with my restrictions. In fact, my ncw came out and told me that if I could not find work with my restrictions, she would have to go back and ask my Drs. to lift some of them. She said that most Drs. will, if they know that it is impossible for the pt. to get a job.

I do have a lawyer and I am sure she will advice me when the time comes, I have just been trying to get a feel for the future.

Thanks for all the responses.

My dr put me at MMI even though I kept telling him I feel like something is still wrong. My work found a job within my restrictions. Since I've been working I keep getting worse and worse and having more pain. WC wouldn't let me go back to the dr, so I finally went to a walk in clinic. That dr ordered an MRI and gave me restrictions of no bending til we see the MRI. I am not getting paid by wc since I have been out of work because their dr put me at MMI. I am also going to have to fight to have the MRI and drs visit paid for. I understand that you are going to have to deal with your injury for life, but if you feel like something is still wrong that they can treat, try not to let them put you at MMI. That's just my thoughts on your situation. I wish you the best of luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NC - perm partial disability - multiple MDs to rate the part for different Dx HeyNowNC 3 4,231 07-31-2016, 01:02 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Back at work but now issued P& S with perm. Restrictions Worriedgirl 52 30,318 05-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Info needed...... Scooter123 3 2,604 07-27-2015, 07:47 PM
  perm total disability awarded/atty fees lisawilson7991 4 6,946 07-29-2014, 10:17 PM
  WC voided prescription card.....info needed please Scooter123 10 36,883 07-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
  Another question..re. settlements vs. perm. disability lfoster21 14 16,083 04-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Last Post: bronco54501
  finally getting perm rating, now what?? constantpain 5 6,198 06-12-2013, 11:32 AM
  Interesting info regarding Impairment versus disability Wink 4 10,785 01-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Last Post: MrsMitch
  Dr. wants to make me Perm and stationary cat27 4 7,943 11-11-2009, 08:57 PM
  perm. impairment award denmantragic 3 7,909 03-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Last Post: whiteheadsr