Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
wrist and hand pain from machine
I work for a company that builds wiring harness and my job entails me to use a hand termination machine and numerous time i have asked for some to get trained in my department to help me with these jobs that are overwhelming me with more work than i can comfortably handle so i have been having to use this hand term machine instead of them purchasing mechanical machine. my hand is to the point where my wrist is swelling and my tendons are stretched to the point of pain where i cant work the machine without pain everyday and am afraid i am going to do permanent damage to my hand i don't know where to start or what to do if anyone has a similar problem you could give me some advise i would appreciate it thank you and have a great day.
IMHO, seek medical treatment.

If you have insurance. Go to your regular DR. and see what he/she has to say. Most companies will head the warning and take corrective measures. Employees words can go unheard but the words from a DR are a different isssue.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 
I have had the same symptoms with my hand-swelling on the side of wrist and pain just from moving wrist.Mine was Dequervain's tenosynovitus whcih is much like carpal tunnel,but different area. It has to do with the radial nerve.The swelling can cause compression on nerve and tendons.I would suggest you see a doctor asap as AQA said.Don't wait for it to get worse,because it can.
Techwork: Advice from one who has been there. Do as AQA tells you. Go see your regular family doctor. He will do clinical testing for Carpal Tunnel and refer you to a neurologist for an EMG (nerve testing). He may also set you up for some Physical Therapy.

The most important thing is, if your doctor asks you questions about the type of work you do, what your hobbies are, etc. Be very honest. If he agrees that your injury is work related, he will note that in his medical report and advise you how to get the ball rolling.

That wll be a way for you to talk to your employer about your injury, and once they are aware, they must abide by the law and have you fill out an injury report for workers comp.

You will then be sent to see a workers comp doctor. If that doctor keeps you at work, he should contact your employer and ask what kind of accomodations they are providing to allow you to continue working. If they don't provide the necessary accomodations, then your WC doc will probably take you off work on temporary disability.

Then all the fun starts.

I feel like I've rambled here. No one knows what WC is all about until they go thru it, and believe me and others on this forum, your life changes when you are injured at work.

I wish you the best!
Let Go, and Let God......
In a more perfect world, you could talk to your employer, and he might ultimately be thankful, when he realizes it will probably be less expensive to do what is neccessary to help you perform your job without injury.
Pain is a warning signal that something is wrong. If doing something causes pain, you should probably not continue to do it, until the reason for the pain is resolved.
Seeing a doctor to protect the only body you have doesn't neccessarily mean that you have to file a compensation claim, immediately, or ever for that matter. But it may protect you from further injury and document the issues to date. AQA has given good advice. A smart employer would never jeapordize a good employee when there might be a simple solution.
Each state has it's own requirements and rules on how to file a work comp claim.
generally the first thing required is that you notify your employer you are seeking treatment for what you believe to be a work injury. Notify them in writing and keep a copy.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wrist brace in food service? Help EcKo_23 4 4,769 08-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  ANYONE WITH WRIST INJURY NEED HELP? poloii 5 10,230 05-21-2017, 02:41 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Pennsylvania - Wrist Injury BrettT 2 1,915 04-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  Colorado, Hand Injury, Disfigurement Sueinthemountains 2 2,036 02-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Need help, getting anthroscopic debridement on triangular fibrocartilage on wrist marcus 6 4,708 11-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Don't want hand surgery coyfish727@gmail.com 2 3,672 04-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Out of state injury broken wrist HaroldWelds80 2 5,186 04-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Lost Index finger on right hand melglad 6 11,372 10-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
Question Employer won't allow wrist brace MIinTX 11 18,231 06-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Last Post: brneyedgirl40
  ppi rating for right wrist zflem24 1 5,770 08-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Last Post: 1171

Forum Jump:

Browsing: 1 Guest(s)