Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surgery decided
Ok. I spoke with the surgeon and his hopes were that we could avoid surgery. He doesn't like to open up if he can avoid it. I am going for a pre op visit on the 2nd of January and will probably have surgery the following week. Does anyone have any ideas on what the recovery is likely to be? Will I have to stay off my feet for a while or what? I don't expect that the problems will be sorted completely by the surgery, but the pain and the constant giving out might be lessened. From there I expect to be put for rehab...........that is what the surgeon is wanting anyhow.

I read somewhere that if you are set at temp total disabled or perm. same, that you can claim back the first 7 days when you first filed your claim. Is that so? I tried to find out on Montana's workmans comp site......can't find anything there. 7 days loss of wages would make a huge difference to me.

waiting periods are not the same in every state. what state are you in?
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Sorry been out of the medical side for long time and am not up-to-date on latest. However, the main thing now days is "get 'em up and get 'em out ASAP. Round here rehab can start on a joint replacement 'fore you get back to your room and Open heart will be out of bed and gone in 7 days. Don't mince words if it hurts demand meds. Yeah I know... from back in the 70's "live better through Chemistry ---take drugs."
Will pray for your recovery.
Best of luck.

Respectfully,
BAMA07

If I recall correctly, The surgery is to remove debrie from the nerve. When I had my exploritory surgery I was in the hospital for three days and about four days latter I was back to normal activities. Keep in mind my normal activities are minimal and every responds differently to surgeries.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Baggy

I am happy that the surgeon is at least going to try and help you at this point relieve some of the pain that you have been in. I am praying that this works for you and helps you tremendously!!!!

Like others - though don't count your chickens before they are hatched - don't expect to go back to doing things that you once could do because we all heal at different rates, and be sure to tell the doctor if you are having in problems - this includes any reactions with the medications that he gives you - i.e. ineffective, to strong, allergic, etc. Remember you know your body way better than he will ever know it.

Good Morning BagpussinAMerica..... 1171... she is in Montana, and Bags... as you know recovery will be different for everyone. Most likely you will will leave the hospital and then they will send you to rehab. Since you are a lone with your child I would insist on in home rehab to get started until you are able to get around better after the surgery. This will lessen the burden for you and your child trying to get you to appointments etc while you are under the influence of narcs for pain etc. Good luck with your surgery. You will be in my prayers. Love Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

I have never done well with any type of surgery. I am fine for one day, and then, for some strange reason, I go down hill on the second day. Blood pressure goes down and temp goes up. Usually only lasts a day or two.......but it always scares the life out of the nurses. I can actually feel when it is beginning to come on as well. Very strange.

So I am guessing I will be in hospital for a day? I don't know what made me think it would be an out patients type thing. Probably since I see so many people home so quickly. My daughter is 18.......so I am guessing that no one will consider having a home aid......they will probably expect her to take care of me. She can't drive though........

I don't understand what is meant by going from hospital to rehab........do you mean vocational rehab.......or some other facility to recover? I see the surgeon on the 2nd of January and would like a list of things I should ask. He has already told me he does not approve of pain killers at all. He is okay with the muscle relaxant though, and that seems odd. I would think that that is as addictive as anything else.

Yes, the surgery is to remove the bits lodged in the spine that are pressing onto the nerves there.

Hi Bags.
I'll be prayin that all goes well for you!
By rehab....i think they mean physical rehab....to get you able to move again and lessen your pain. Voc rehab is different, it's training to get you back into job hunting with job search skills, resume etc.
Take care. LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

I am unfamilure with any proceedures you may have had up to this point. If you have had any none, then my question would be what caused the debrie? Simply removing the debrie may only be a bandaid. If your surgery goes like mine did, you may not need the pain meds.. The only time I was in real pain was when I would bend to get out of bed. Once I straighten up the pain would go away. Keep in mind mine was at the L5-S1. I do recall the day I went home. My wife went back to work so I drove to the store for a soda. That was in reference to the exploritory surgery.

When I had my first surgery, it was a micro desectomy/laminectomy. That was an out patient proceedure. I had gone to the ER because I could not walk on my left foot. I stayed there for four days until they did the proceedure. It was done in the morning and in the afternoon I left and went home with a note saying two weekd bed rest.

I guess we will all wait to hear what happens on the second. Please keep us posted. And if you let us know what the proceedure is going to be then others and I can give you some more insite.

Take Care
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

I know alot of doctors do not approve of pain meds, but if anyone is going to be cutting me open and i am going to have pain after, they best prescribe me something. I think if your in pain after, you will get something to keep you comfortable, but if no surgery, some doctors would just suggest aleve, or tylenol. I had a doctor once tell me to use 12 or 13 aleve a day. That is the last time i went to that doctor!!!!!!!
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question how is it decided how much ill get?????? swat455 1 1,222 07-14-2015, 12:44 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Judge decided on PPD percent now what? hurting in ca 8 7,694 12-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Last Post: hurting in ca
  How is total disability decided by wc? WARPED 8 11,216 12-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo