Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MMI / retraining
Hi, I just found this forum and need advice. I`d been injured 9/06 and w/c got around to doing a partial knee replacement 10/07. They`ve been steady with TTD but slow for surg. I don`t have an atty(yet?) because the local ones told me it was pointless until benies are denied. My doc has fobbed off my MMI until 1/14 but has released me for work with restrictions were I can`t work at my profession(electrician). He had said before that the restrictions are perm. Any advice on retraining out there? Thanks!

now you need a lawyer
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Jayne is Correct in the Fact that You need a Lawyer. Most i/c's and w/c Systems, (All States are Different) have some Type of Vocational Retraining/Counseling. You May want to Check into that. But I also feel an Attorney is needed, this is the Time in Your Case where things can get Mighty Sticky and Complicated, that's why I/C's have Attorneys on Retainer!! Be Prepared, and have the right Tools available when Needed!! W/C Attorneys work on a Percentage of the Win, so it usually Costs nothing to Retain One, My Opinion Only, check out a few and find One that You Like! Best of Luck, and Welcome to the Forum!!Wink

lawyers don't do retraining or rehabilitation.
"The law provides, at no cost to you, reemployment services to help you return to work. Services include vocational counseling, transferable skills analysis, job-seeking skills, job placement, on-the-job training, and formal retraining. To find out more about this program, you may contact the Department of Education, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, Bureau of Rehabilitation and Reemployment Services at (850) 245-3470 or visit their website at: http://www.rehabworks.org"
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Question 
I agree with the rest. Although I'd like to add that sometimes the IC will get a little hard to deal with when it comes to Voc Rehab/Counseling....that's where an attorney comes into play. While it's considered a benefit and that everyone is entitled to it, not all IC's are so willing to give that to you and sometimes needs a little push from an attorney and/or judge. That's the way it was for me. I knew I qualified, but my IC said it wasn't necessary. Well, my attorney stepped in and had the courts order Voc Rehab. That's not to say that they ordered ALL available services, they ordered for specific things. Which was fine, because when all was said and done, retraining was the only option for me. However, I didn't get the retraining because I decided to settle instead. But that's my case, each case is as different as the individual itself. As well as the states having different laws. While there may be similarities, they each have different views/laws on things.
It would be my opinion if you've discussed Voc Rehab with your IC's adjuster and he/she seems reluctant or unwilling to go there that you could benefit from some legal representation. This being said, be sure you interview and consult with more than one. Oftentimes WC specific attorney will give a free consultation and opinions. Do this and see which, if any, are a good fit for you. Remember also that the attorney works for YOU.....he/she must be willing and able to communicate everything to you on a timely basis. You must be able to get access to your attorney as well. Sometimes it's necessary for your attorney to be out of the office, but there should be someone there to help you in a bind and/or able to return a phone call in a timely basis. I think 24 hours is a reasonable expectation, unless there's a weekend involved. This is just my personal experience.
Good luck to you and welcome to our family. Feel free to pop on anytime and ask questions, rant, rave, tell a funny or even offer up an opinion!! We're all here for the same reason......!!
Take care!
Punk   :0)
"If I were any better....I'd only be half as good as you!!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  retraining question Manley2 5 2,940 11-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Retraining jimmyo1 2 3,047 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Last Post: jimmyo1
  Vocational retraining? babydol 12 14,420 07-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Last Post: hurt at work
  retraining fears marygon 16 7,160 10-26-2007, 08:10 AM