Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light Duty Hours

State is Nebraska

I am on light duty. Doc wants to do surgery L5 S1 herniated, and waiting for approval from w/c.

Since being put on light duty, I was told no more OT. OT is based on seniority, and I have enough to pick up extra hours.
Can they do that? My regular work week is 48 hours, and I have usually worked 12 hours a week OT extra. Missing 12 hours a week OT is a big bite out of my paycheck.

Thanks,

Scooter

Scooter Wrote:

State is Nebraska

I am on light duty. Doc wants to do surgery L5 S1 herniated, and waiting for approval from w/c.

Since being put on light duty, I was told no more OT. OT is based on seniority, and I have enough to pick up extra hours.
Can they do that? My regular work week is 48 hours, and I have usually worked 12 hours a week OT extra. Missing 12 hours a week OT is a big bite out of my paycheck.

Thanks,

Scooter

you shoul be able to let the ic know you are making less than your AWW and the ic should cover at least two thirds of the difference

IMO, light duty means just that. Employment laws are based on eight hour days. If you are injured and can do extra work then you should not be on light duty. I am looking at the situation as if I were the employer. Sorry
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

AQA Wrote:IMO, light duty means just that. Employment laws are based on eight hour days. If you are injured and can do extra work then you should not be on light duty. I am looking at the situation as if I were the employer. Sorry

AQA,

I can see your point. My normal schedule is 4/ 12 hour days. My restrictions are nothing over 10 lbs, minimize bending, twisting, stooping, not more than 2 hrs a day. I work in a factory, on an hourly rotation schedule, which I am not on now. I help where needed within my restrictions. The long days get to my back but thats what the Docs said I can do.

My employer said since I am on light duty, I am not allowed to sign up for OT on the 3 days a week I have off. Typically I would pick up one or two 6 hr shifts per week.

In my opinion, it would be up to your doctor to state how many hours you are allowed to work. Mine has me at up to 8 hours a day and up to 40 hours a week. Remember that the restrictions are there to help you not cause any more injury or pain. Good luck.

Absolutly! Light duty is only so many hours a day with restrictions. If you feel you can work 40 hours, or like me 48 hours a week, let your doctor know and he can just put the restrictions on lifting etc instead. I was put at MMI when i told the doctor i had a job offer doing something within my restrictions and that i was leaving the place of employment i was injured at. He put me at Permanent impairment with limitations that i feel i can or cannot do. More like, if i cannot lift something that i feel is heavy, it is my decision. I know what hurts me, and what is going to cause me more pain in the long run. It has been 3 months now at the new job, and it is a job where if i am in pain sitting, typeing, lifting etc, i can just stop.

I think we all know how to use good judgement on will and what will not make us in pain later in the day. Sofar i know my limitations, and i faithfully do my PT/OT exercises i was taught and use my TENS unit when in terrible pain. It helps me alot. I would not know what i would do without it.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

ok this is just what my job does when on light duty. I usually worked 12 hours a day 5 days a week. When i was put on light duty I came in basicly at the same time but I could not work more then 8 hours 5 days a week and instead of 12 hours plus time worked on holidays you only got paid for the 8 hours you worked. When your job offers modified work they are not doing it for your benifit so no they will not let you work overtime doing something you were not hired to do. I think light duty is a program that w/c made up to keep people from sitting at home on the computer all day..lol

Hope that helped

RH

When i first got put out of work i was very upset. I cried and hated to have to stay home. I loved going to work everyday. It took alot to get me out on TTD payments. The first thing the PM doctor said to me was, that to many people stay out of work to long, and forget what it is like to get up and go to work everyday. The longer you stay home, the more chronic pain you become to have. I sort of believe that also. When i was home everyday, i could only focus on the pain i was having. Now that i am working, my mind is focused on other things and personally i do not think about pain 100%. I only think about it 80%..lol.

Now seriously, it is hard to go back to work when out for 7 months like i was. You get comfortable at home and that is not what they want. I was also getting very lonely and depressed. I bought chickens, and a dog from Texas and had him shipped here. Anything, to brighten my life while at home and give me something i could take care of to make me less depressed.

Now i had to give away my dog i spent over 1300to have flown to me that was purebred ( gave to my best friend), and had to put a add in the paper to get rid of my rooster and chickens that did not even get to lay one egg. I am sure the chickens became someone's dinner, but the dog i get to see every weekend.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

Hi

I live in Pa, and when I was put on light duty, my employer had to offer me the same amount of hours that I was working before my injury.

Hope this helps.
Laurie57

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA workers- hours cut /off work/child care EDD California_Help 1 766 03-17-2020, 09:00 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Hours cut after weight restriction due to injury SavedSinner 5 1,197 01-25-2020, 10:36 PM
  End of light duty tomatopaste 14 3,566 06-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Exclamation Help please Was on light duty wc doctor....new doctor out of work till .. Feelbad 6 2,814 01-25-2019, 11:45 PM
  Hours question Michiganworker 1 2,041 01-21-2016, 12:30 PM
  CA Alternative Work wages and hours question Poseid Atlantean 4 3,986 07-24-2015, 11:55 PM
  light duty but cant do duty theworldasone 4 7,914 04-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Injured Worker
  TN Fired after WC claim, Quit light duty job after Surgery Tango 3 4,366 03-27-2015, 11:08 AM
  returning to work with 34 less hours, can I get another job while working this one mart 1 3,112 01-27-2015, 03:41 AM
  Light duty Toyster16 1 3,272 06-18-2014, 09:49 PM