Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
retraining fears
I live in Ct. I had 2 shoulder. 1 8 years ago and 1 just in Jan. My doc feels that I can not do my work anymore- nurses aide. I have been at my job for 15 years. My fear is.... what the @#$& do I do now. Am I able to get a list of occupations that they will retrain me in? What about pay? Are they liable for my income staying about the same? what happens at the time of my mmi? Is my retraining limited to medical field? I dont know at this stage in my life what the heck I want to do for a new occupation. I guess change is one of my worst fears. What if I change jobs and hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!Well, any info would be appreciated. Reading some of the other feedback, I see that there are many caring and knowlegable people out there to give advice and see that I am not alone. Let me add the doc has kept me out of work thinking that the ic will step up and get me moving on my new mid life career. thanks again.. signed..scared in Ct.

review the handbook
http://wcc.state.ct.us/download/acrobat/...ndbook.pdf
You can also get information from the Vocational Rehabilitation services staff
start here
http://wcc.state.ct.us/wcc/rehab.htm
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

1171 Wrote:review the handbook
http://wcc.state.ct.us/download/acrobat/...ndbook.pdf
You can also get information from the Vocational Rehabilitation services staff
start here
http://wcc.state.ct.us/wcc/rehabemployee.htm

thank you. That was very informative...

the state website has lot of information about how the system works in connecticut
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(FCE) Also demand a Computer Operated Evaltion, to go along with your Job Skills you will list for them. This way, your treating Doctor can review the Computer Operated FCE, and Job Skills, to better help place you in a safe employment status that would best fit you now.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Hi marygon, I know your in a tough spot right now, kind of like my name Still in Limbo. That's why I chose that name, it best suits the situation I'm in. A couple of folks above me have given you some pretty good links to check out, and that's probably the best thing to do right now. If you have an attorney you can always discuss your concerns with them, but checking out the sites posted above will give you very valuable knowledge to help you on your way. Know your rights, protect them, take things one step at a time, and hopefully everything will work out as best as it can! Best of Luck!!Wink

WELCOME Marygon....I can't help with all the wc questions. But I can say hello and tell you...You just joined one of the best forums for information and support. SO please don't be shy to post any questions you may have. Being injuried on the job can be scary...and life changing...everyone here understands how you are feeling. Just wanted to WELCOME YOU.

Hi marygon...welcome to this forum. I think you will find it to very helpful and supportive. There are a lot of caring people on this forum. We all do the serious but there is also time for the not so serious which gives us an opportunity to laugh or just set still and feel inspired.

I know what you are feeling now is very hard and the unknown can feel very scary. You were asking about what do you do now. Do you have a lawyer who is certified in W/C. That is very important. They can make sure that all your rights as defined by your state laws are taken care of. Even with a lawyer, I think many people on here would tell you that you must learn all you can about the W/C process so you can stand up for yourself. It is your life, always remember that. The first thing is to assure that your healthcare is being provided for as long as you may need it. It sounds like you are still on TTD from W/C and are now wondering what will happen once you are on MMI. You were asking questions about Vocational Rehabilitation. That sounds like a great idea to pursue, but you may want a lawyer to make sure that your IC will arrange this for you. Before this, ask for a FCE (functional capacity evaluation), and as Bad Boy would say, demand it to be computer generated. This will help with a disability percentage rating.

In terms of who will pay, again you need a lawyer to help with this. The IC will not pay anything that they are not required to pay. They will not tell you your rights under the law and they will not care if you have any income coming in or not.

Also...does your employer know about the doctors recommendations that you find another way to make a living? The reason I ask is, I was a Director of Nursing in a Long Term Care Center and once I had an employee who was in this situation. She was an nursing assistant and a very good one, but she kept hurting her back. One day her doctor told her to get another job so she came in a quit. I was stunned that she would leave so I call her in to my office to have a chat. I found out that she quit because of what the doctor said. As the Director and with a large budgets and greater than 150 postions that I was responsible for, I did a little arranging and found her a job within the center which helped nursing and helped her. As it turns out she was great at the job and she is still in it almost 5 years later. I said all this to say, you never know what an employer will do if you just tell them what your needs are. I hope this helps some. The sites that you were given will help you a lot. If you have an questions about the sites are anything else just ask and we are all here to help out. Best Wishes. Keep us updated on how this all works out.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

red1030 Wrote:Hi marygon...welcome to this forum.  I think you will find it to very helpful and supportive.  There are a lot of caring people on this forum.  We all do the serious but there is also time for the not so serious which gives us an opportunity to laugh or just set still and feel inspired.  

I know what you are feeling now is very hard and the unknown can feel very scary.  You were asking about what do you do now.  Do you have a lawyer who is certified in W/C.  That is very important.  They can make sure that all your rights as defined by your state laws are taken care of.  Even with a lawyer, I think many people on here would tell you that you must learn all you can about the W/C process so you can stand up for yourself.  It is your life, always remember that.  The first thing is to assure that your healthcare is being provided for as long as you may need it.  It sounds like you are still on TTD from W/C and are now wondering what will happen once you are on MMI.  You were asking questions about Vocational Rehabilitation.  That sounds like a great idea to pursue, but you may want a lawyer to make sure that your IC will arrange this for you.  Before this, ask for a FCE (functional capacity evaluation), and as Bad Boy would say, demand it to be computer generated.  This will help with a disability percentage rating.  

In terms of who will pay, again you need a lawyer to help with this.  The IC will not pay anything that they are not required to pay.  They will not tell you your rights under the law and they will not care if you have any income coming in or not.  

Also...does your employer know about the doctors recommendations that you find another way to make a living?  The reason I ask is, I was a Director of Nursing in a Long Term Care Center and once I had an employee who was in this situation.  She was an nursing assistant and a very good one, but she kept hurting her back.  One day her doctor told her to get another job so she came in a quit.  I was stunned that she would leave so I call her in to my office to have a chat.  I found out that she quit because of what the doctor said.  As the Director and with a large budgets and greater than 150 postions that I was responsible for, I did a little arranging and found her a job within the center which helped nursing and helped her.  As it turns out she was great at the job and she is still in it almost 5 years later.  I said all this to say, you never know what an employer will do if you just tell them what your needs are.  I hope this helps some.  The sites that you were given will help you a lot.  If you have an questions about the sites are anything else just ask and we are all here to help out.  Best Wishes.  Keep us updated on how this all works out.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and compassion. I will keep you posted. I have come to the conclusion that I need to realize that I am going to have to make some serious decisions about my career. I just got to get the nerve to make that step to decide what to do. Anyone have any ideas. lol.... Actually, after writing my initial post, I went on a couple of websites and medical transcriptionist came up....Thought it might be worth looking into. Any opinions from anyone with that career knowlege?

If it's like other rehab programs it won't an open ended choice on your part. A lot may depend on what types of occupations your labor market supports.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  retraining question Manley2 5 2,933 11-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Retraining jimmyo1 2 3,046 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Last Post: jimmyo1
  Vocational retraining? babydol 12 14,419 07-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Last Post: hurt at work
  MMI / retraining CJknee 5 3,372 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Last Post: punk