Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discogram
New to this forum. I hired a lawyer in July 2007. He set me up with an IME. The doctor who did the IME was just authorized to treat me. He recommended injections and PT. Initially, a doctor recommended a discogram but I didn't do it. I had a myelogram done instead. Now I am wondering if I should have a discogram. My authorized doctor says that the only reason to do a discogram would be to determine if I am a surgical candidate. Does this sound right? I have decided due to my age and research on % of successful back surgeries that I would not consider surgery. Wouldn't a discogram add additional information about the seriousness of my injury?

I am not in the medical profession, nor have I had a discogram. I can only speak from what I know from a close friend of mine.

He had two discograms done. The discogram is used to see the condition of the disks. The disks are pressurized to see if they are leaking or weak and buldge

He had the test done to see if he would be a candidate for fusion. The Dr. wanted to know the condition of the disk above and below the area that may be fused.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

I had a discogram done last month. This is a procedure that is done in most cases in a hospital and is very painful.

I slept for two days after I had my discogram.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarti...le646.html

Hello
I had a discogram of my Cervical spine back in January. The way it was explained to me was a dye is injected into each disk at or near the troubled area. An injection is made in a disk that is thought to be good or alright as a check point. The doctor will not tell you which disc is being inserted but you'll know if it is in fact if it's the troubled one. Pretty much the Doc wants to tell if it is a pain generator. Luckily as loud as you may scream to let him know it hurts, he quickly stops the pressure. Afterward you go for a CT scan to see if the discs are holding the injected fluid.
Worst part was being hog tied and being put in a painful position for the test. My neck had to be stretched so they tied my wrists around my feet and then back up to my other wrist. OUCH!
Turns out my C5-7 generated the pain, my C4-5 didn't have any pain but during the CT scan it showed it leaked all the fluid. In the end I had my C5-7 fused in March and I am still in pain. On my way out right now for my EMG test (3rd one). Talk about pain!
Good luck to you
Be well
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

Good grief!! I had the very same discogram, C5-7 bad. But good golly I didn't get hog tied or anything like that. It sounds like that doctor had some freaky fantasies going on!!!

stiffnecked Wrote:Good grief!! I had the very same discogram, C5-7 bad. But good golly I didn't get hog tied or anything like that. It sounds like that doctor had some freaky fantasies going on!!!

Guess I was fulfilling someones fetish!

To make matters worse, when I first went into the operating room they had me lye on my stomach. They were prepping me for a lumbar discogram Sad

Be Well
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

As for me, it was well worth having it done. I was one who had it done with what they called a Fenytal cocktail. They gave me an IV and knocked me out, until they had the needle in place and injected the dye. then they lessened the meds and brought me out of my daze, just long enough for me to tell them 1. if the pain I felt was th same as I had been having and 2. if it was in the same area. Then they upped the meds again. The other good thing that they did was added a med that made me forget most everything, afterwards. (Unfortunatly I can't remember the name of it.)

For me, I was already going in for a fusion and by my description of the pain, the Drs. thought I needed to have just the L4-5 done. When I went for the Discogram, it showed that I had the majority of my pain in the L3-4 area. So, without having it, they would have fused the l4-5 and I would have ended up still in pain afterwards and would likely have needed a 2nd fustion.

So, it is beneficial to determine exactly what area is causing the pain. It is a painful procedure, if you are not medicated. Also, you want to make sure the Dr. doing it, does it using the X ray type of machine, so that the can see exactly where they are going. If the Dr. tells you that they need you awake and can not give you meds, go somewhere else. Many places now use this cocktail that not only helps to put you feeling like your put out (but you really are not) and it erases the memory afterwards. There is no reason to go through this procedure w/o anything.

Good luck.

I did and didnt feel a thing...I remember the test and I knew it hurt but it was like a dream.....they found 4 more bad disc so it was worth it to me.....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

jayne Wrote:I did and didnt feel a thing...I remember the test and I knew it hurt but it was like a dream.....they found 4 more bad disc so it was worth it to me.....
Hello Jayne
I sure hope you're doing well these days. Exactly what do you mean that your C3-4 is "gone"?

My C4-5 is not holding fluid but it didn't cause me pain at the discogram. ex rays show ridging, spurs, etc. Doc feels a lot of my pain stems from that disc.

Take Care and Be well
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

the disc are torn and will not hold fluid...... daily migrains are the result
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  discogram jayc123 50 38,395 03-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Last Post: jayc123
  another discogram question jayc123 2 3,210 03-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Last Post: jayc123
  Help needed with discogram report Bummer Knees 6 5,310 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Discogram Bummer Knees 24 11,099 10-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Last Post: jayne