Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work Hardening is OVER!!
Exclamation 
OK....here's my update. My work hardening program ended on Friday after a six week stint. The first 2 weeks were hard, as I was in quite a bit of pain, and most evenings came directly home and crashed. I averaged a triple, sometimes quad, in my pain meds daily just to make it through. I normally only take 2-3 pills for pain a day. I also had to take breaks every two hours. I have an appointment in a few weeks with voc rehab counciler...as she has had no response from ICA as to "what is the next step?"! I just actually wish this would be over, as it's been 14 or 15 months of daily job hunting....so now I'm back to that everyday again. This is getting so stressful and is just relentless, as I swear everyone and his brother has got to have one of my resumes in hand! I do not understand how working for one of the local "donation stores" is going to make my resume look more impressive, as WC & VR counciler had stated. I haven't talked to the lawyer yet, but want your opinions... So what now do you think will happen? Or What is the next step?
Lilly
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Lilly, I am glad that your work hardening is over. I have two days of work conditioning left and I just pray that is all I have to do. My back and leg are hurting even more now. I don't want to go through any more of this.

I don't know what your next step will be. I am lost when it comes to the w/c stuff. Every time I think I know what's next, they surprise me. I wish you the best in whatever does happen next. Keep updating us!

Lilly

I wish I could tell you - other than to just keep track of your job contacts and resumes that you send out like you have been.

Strange that you have to keep going through this, but seems to me that your doctor will want to see you after work hardening to see how you did and go from there as well.

Hello,

When they tried to do a work hardening on me after my carpal tunnel surgeries, my doctor wouldn't let them. So I got into the Voc Rehab and they first recommended re-training, but later recommended pension because I had new problems with other fingers.
Now I am back again with a different Voc Counselor, because w/c didn't like what first one recommended.
I am still having issues with trigger fingers and treatment not authorized, so this new voc counselor is puzzled what to do with me.
I know, w/c told him to find me a transferable skill, what I don't really have. I was a medical biller for about 18 years, I am also almost 55 years old, I have an accent as I am from Hungary, who is going to hire me?
Can w/c stopp payment if I fail to find a job?

KSgirl & Pooh...thanks so much for your input xoxoxoxoxo.
Kat,
As long as you comply by job hunting or doing what the VRC requires...I believe they cannot touch you...or your $$.
I actually have no transferable skills either...as I have always worked in a factory where I had to use my hands & physical force to do about everything.... I also have some other problems which makes me not suitable for telephone work...so that's out too! I am near your age too.
So not sure what's in store for me in the now...or the future.
Lilly

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Lilly, have You checked into SSDI? You may be Entitled to Benefits through the SSDI System, they use a different Set of Standards when reviewing for Disability. Even if You are Approved for SSDI, and You do become Well enough to Work, they have a Program Called "Return to Work", where You can try Different Jobs, and not Harm Your Benefits! You May want to think about that, it may be a Good Avenue for You!! Best of Luck, and Have a Great Day!!Wink

Lilly,

Thanks for the advice. I guess we are in a similar situation. I don't know if you mentioned the pension to your voc counselor or not? You know they can recomend it if you are not re-trainable or have other barriers.

kat...pension? please explain.

ksgirl....your work hardening must be over now....are you relieved and feeling better I hope? We apparently had different types of WH...as I had to physically go to work...and it sounds like you had to do work type motions & exercises to build your body up or so called "harden it".

Still I am already getting SSD...but this means nothing to WC....as I was approved on several things non related to the shoulder injury. The shoulder injury was just the clincher.

So, I'm back to sending resumes and spending hours on the PC job hunting! I'm simply sick of it.
LillySmile

Lilly, my work conditioning was just at the pt office and it was simulated work. I was able to make it through everyday, but the pain was getting worse and worse. Now the dr wants an FCE. I have no idea what's going on.

Has the voc rehab person given you any idea of what types of job you are supposed to be able to do? I hope you can find out soon what will be next in your life. I know I hate not knowing what's next for me. It seems so wrong that we have to completely loose our choice in life and have to wait for someone else to decide everything for us.

ksgirl,
yes the VRC has tested me...but is pushing job leads onto me that I am not suited for! Tons of bank teller jobs & such. I am below avg in math on my testing...but yet she is pushing towards that, as those jobs are the only ones available in my area! Like I said before...it's much like hiring a lifeguard who cannot swim!
What is the pension you were talking about?

ACK!!
LillySmile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Work Hardening HELP Livie 8 12,512 01-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Last Post: 1171
  QUICK HELP - work hardening constantpain 4 5,715 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Work Hardening canceled, Epidural ordered jamboski73 9 15,234 01-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Last Post: jamboski73
  what is a Work Hardening Program? jamboski73 14 40,009 01-01-2011, 05:07 AM
Last Post: jamboski73
  What comes after Voc Rehab & work hardening? Lilly 11 12,537 10-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Last Post: imsckofit
  work hardening/ how 2 make MD appmt after MMI? Lilly 6 7,492 09-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Last Post: vickinat