Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What comes after Voc Rehab & work hardening?
Hey all,
I have been in voc rehab for over a year.....job hunting without results all during that period. Now I am in work hardening, and in a couple weeks I'll be done. What comes next? More job hunting or what? Even my voc rehab councilor was unsure. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks all, LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

hi lilly!! I'm not sure of Your State's regulations, but after all of that, You should still be able to receive w/c Checks, or have You already been placed at MMI and given a Rating? I believe if everything is done, after WH, You are on the Job Market with Your Restrictions. You may be able to sign up for UE While Your job Shopping, that's the way I've seen some others have happen to them, but as I said I'm not sure of Your States Regs. Has a Settlement been reached, and how about Your Future Medical?Wink

Hi Limbo!
I was placed at MMI over a year ago. I have steadily been recieving WC checks , and have been in this voc rehab. Lawyer offered them a settlement amount....but they gave back a crappy counter offer. We turned down the counter offer, then IC started their games...withholding my meds, started work hardening....all to try to get me to say screw it, and accept their crap offer I believe. I returned to MD a few weeks back because of WC withholding my meds for over 2 months...my pain was out of control & over the top! Skin burning like I've never experienced (I mean on "fire")....MD called it "sympathetic pain"....I fear RSD...and won't budge on settlement amount until I find out for sure I don't also have an RSD problem. They are bound & determined to get me back to work. I applied for SSD and was approved (shoulder AND other progressive health problems)....I'll be able to recieve medicare soon. I am actually in no shape to go back to work. I am only working 4 hrs daily, and have to take 2 or 3 breaks to sit down...and have almost tripled my pain meds daily. Now my stomach is crying about all the meds....it seems that one thing leads to another.
Actually....I just wanna be left alone. I have never had a rating that I know of.
LillySmile

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Lilly, it's a shame what they do and the Games they Play!! I Wish I had an answer for You, but it sounds like You and the i/c are in the middle of "Who's going to give in First!" Hang in there, Work close with Your Attorney, and don't let those Son of a Biscuit eaters Win!! I'm going through Pretty Much the same as You, the Games never End, and they know all too Well I am Disabled, but nonetheless they won't Give-Up!!I'm receiving TTD, SSDI, and I have My Medicare, so I'm prepared for a Battle, as Long and Hard as they want to Go!! Hang in there Lilly, and don't give them the Satisfaction of a Win!!!Wink

Hi lilly,

I want to get this straight sorry I don't have an answer for your question, but I would like to ask you one. Are you saying that your job terminated you, w/c kept paying you and sent you to vr did they also pay you for going to VR? Did you have the time or the age to retire? or are you just tired of the whole thing and want to relax and be done with the whole thing? I would imagine your next step is going before the courts.

Rholmes,
Yes, my job terminated me when I reached MMI. They had no openings that would fit within my lifetime restrictions. Actually, they wanted rid of me because I was a big dollar insurance threat & nightmare (last serious surgery= hospital bill of over $750K not for my shoulder).
After my injury three years ago, I received WC steadily AFTER they screwed around for a year (I still worked) before they approved surgery in 2005 ( from then on I have been off work & received TTD). I was urged by MDs & lawyer to apply for SSD, which I did, and was approved (because of the shoulder AND other non related serious progressive health problems).No, I did not have the age to retire. In the eyes of the State of Mich....I am totally disabled, but this has no leverage with WC. WC/IC then supplied me with the voc rehab (I paid nothing) The voc rehab part has been going on for over a year....I don't go to them...VR counciler comes to me. I am sick of this part! Obviously, No one is going to hire me....and I cannot be a reliable new employee somewhere , where I don't have built up vacation & sick time. This is where I'm stuck. I am also afraid the next step will be schooling/retraining for a sedentary job...which I am NOT interested in at all, as I have worked with my hands and had very physical jobs all my life! VRC keeps sending me job openings for bank tellers and related financial openings! My testing (that SHE gave me) proved that my math skills are my weakest point! This makes no sense to me. Why test my skills if you aren't going to use the results to find something suitable for me?
It's like giving a person a Life-Guard job when they cannot swim!
This is why I'm sick of it Rholmes. It's ridiculous, and unrelenting.
LillySmile

Lilly-IMHO you have shown WC that a full time job is not available within your qualifications and training within your restrictions. Did you say you qualified for SSDI but are working four hours a day?? Is this the work hardening you mentioned, I don't get it? Your lawyer should answer why you must continue VR when it's obvious you gave it your best shot and no results. My understanding is six months of VR proves the point. VRC I dealt with did the same in job search, any job they thought you could do, whether you liked it or not. I was willing to take some classes but WC would not pay and VRC asked me to pay for it and she would see that I got reimbursed. YEAH RIGHT!! Needless to say, I did not get any "training" for a job within my restrictions. VR may work for some but it doesn't seem to pan out for many.
As far as a rating goes, I do not know much about this in our state. Seems there would be some kind of rating for permanent restrictions/impairment. Again, your attorney should be able to answer that. Also if the Federal Government deems you disabled it should be good enough for WC. I realize there are other issues involved but what is the point of VR if you are disabled anyway. I tried to read some of your past posts to know about your situation before I replied but there are so many of them. The way I understand things in MI, open medical is rare and a big settlement would be five years of WC pay. I know of one instance where a gal was in the system for a year and settled for about two years WC pay and no medical. This was for a total knee replacement and not being able to work a labourous job again. Not good.
Hope some of this helps, sounds as if you're going though alot and have more than paid your dues. Hang in thereSmile

Well, Mich, is kind of close to Illinois rules in some ways. What they did to me; Voc rehab for over a year, could not find me gainful employment of any kind. As you know, I done most the work, just like you may have done. Then the I/C said that's all we aren't paying anymore, because the Voc Rehab person said I wasn't compling, but I was and can prove it. But the Voc rehab person didn't tell the I/C she was working without a License that wasn't renewed and to date still has not been renewed. Will battle that when the time comes. Then I have been waiting to settle my claims since that date, which is now over 2 years. Still trying to settle, but taking my time at it also.

So, it's my opinion, is, soon they will cut the strings on you.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Oh my goodness Lilly and BB,

That is what I am afraid of the B.S., I am to old to get the run around and knowing full well They won't find anything for me to do. I asked about the TTD, because I was under the impression that once MMI all TTD payments stop and they give you a $233.00 checl per month to go to VR. I guess I read it wrong.

Thanks so much Lilly for your detailed explentation

girl you do what you want to do you have earned it...

BB good luck with your surgery. Prayers for both you guys.

RH

Thx Rholmes xoxoxo Lilly.
Thank ALL of you for your insight and comments!
Lilly Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Work Hardening HELP Livie 8 12,551 01-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Last Post: 1171
  QUICK HELP - work hardening constantpain 4 5,746 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Work Hardening canceled, Epidural ordered jamboski73 9 15,277 01-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Last Post: jamboski73
  what is a Work Hardening Program? jamboski73 14 40,085 01-01-2011, 05:07 AM
Last Post: jamboski73
  ?'s about returning to work PPD'd & Voc. rehab Frustrated2 6 7,387 09-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  Work Hardening is OVER!! Lilly 12 13,804 11-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Spring
  work hardening/ how 2 make MD appmt after MMI? Lilly 6 7,520 09-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Last Post: vickinat