Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What results can I expect from epidural steroid injections
Hi there. I just got confirmation that I will be having a left S1-S2 transforaminal epidural steroid injection x 2 on Monday. Apparently I won't be able to drive and will be given some sort of anastetic prior. Does anyone have any idea what results I can expect from this? I had the oral steroids and they did nothing at all. If these work I know that I will still not be able to return to the work I did before, so I guess I will have to look into the vocational rehab thing. I heard about this just recently and was told that wc will only pay a certain amount for rehab. How do I find out information regarding this, if this is what I will need?

I've also just put through for more medication......the muscle relaxants....I am not on pain killers at all, and have to stop taking the arthotec today as well. I really hope that I don't end up with pain from this thing!!!!!!!

Any information would be appreciated.

Can you refresh my memory in reference to what state your in??
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Sure, I had a disc on L5-S1 herniate and pieces of it lodged into the spinal canal compressing nerves there. The MRI showed that the nerves could not even be seen due to the bits lodged there. I have alot of pain through out sacral area, with radiating pain down into and entirely through the left leg and halfway down the right. I have some pain going up the spinal area as well. The spinal cord....dics just above that area are severally compressed....but not herniated. My surgeon says that he can not see me returning to the type of work I was doing before........under no circumstances. I am not a big person. 5' 2 1/2" and only 110 normally.
The girl I was working with was 175 lbs. Not good situation.

http://www.workerscompensation.com/regul...arent=8718

I guess your Dr. knows best. I will let you know that what you have resulted in three surgeries for me. I now have permanent nerve damage because fragments of my L5-S1 were pressing on the S1 nerve.

Take Care.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

AQA:
Bagpusinamerica is in Montana, I believe she thought you meant the state of her injury.

Bags:
Will you go to your profile under "User CP", and put your state into your location, so everyone can see, when they want to give you advice.

I had a series of 3 Transforaminal Steriod Injections under flouroscope on the left at L5, it was supposed to be at L5-S1 but was only at L5. I wasn't given any anesthesia, but did have to go off my pain meds for awhile beforehand. The first one hurt when the Dr. hit the inflammed area around the nerve root. Each inj. were a few weeks apart for me, the 2nd. one wasn't as bad at the first, and the 3rd. one was ok also. Unfortuantly I didn't get much relief from them. I was sore later in the day and the following day after the injections, but not inbearable.
Friday I will go in for a Injection under flouroscope into the SI joint, this is a different Dr. and he gave me a 1mg. tablet of Xanax to take 45 minutes before the procedure, and I need a driver due to it.
I hope I was able to answer some of what you wanted to know, even though mine were at a different location. I hope yours helps you.
Good luck.
Vickie

Oh Dear God, the bloody language barrier again! Never occured to me you asked about the state!!!! Yes, it is Montana, and I will be posting that for future reference. Dear me.

Thanks for that input though. It is a worry all of this. I think I will ask the surgeon who wrote me up for the procedue to prescribe me some xanax. The whole things worries me big time. The last time I had an epidural was when I had my daughterand that didn't go down very well. I got pretty ill afterwards.

The doctor has warned me that this is something that we have to try first and that it may well fail, at that pointwe have to consider surgery. That is something I am not too keen on either. Surgery on my back??????!!!!! No Way!!!!!!!

I had my 3rd Injection last week. Like Vickinat with the first injection the doctor hit the nerve and I felt worse for about a week after the injection then improvement for a couple of weeks.

The 2nd injection was the same location L5/S1 and I left worse after that injection.

My 3rd injection was last week and the day after the injection was the best day I've had for a lond time, the next day I started having leg/nerve pain again.

You will need a driver after the injection, good luck.

LOL Bags, about the bloody language barrier. I understand your anxiety over the injection but at least you'll have anesthesia.
I do have to say though that if parts of your disc are lodged in there, you may have to have to have surgery to remove them, so they don't paralyse you or something. They now do things with endoscopes for some surgeries, don't worry and I hope all works out for you. I don't want to scare you or anything, so please don't worry about things. Let the doctor tell you what he feels is the best course of treatment for you.
Take care
Vickie

When you get an injection you can ask the doctor to give you something IV to help relax you. I was so upset and nervous and I asked the doctor, they put some versed and ativan in the IV, it not only helps you relax, but it helps you forget also...lol....you just need someone to drive you home. Most doctors will accommodate this request. No one wants a tight nervous patient, a relaxed patient makes everything go smoother.

You will feel pressure and some pain once they hit the sweet spot, but it shouldn't be unbearable. Just remember to lay still - if you still feel nervous, ask for IV meds, it works like a charm Smile

-good luck!

I can't remember how many injections I've had in my back but I can say the first time it wasn't too bad, second time doctor hit something because it hurt like hell. He said he would not do any more shots and wanted me to see his partner because he didn't do the hard stuff. After a couple of more shots they don't do shots in my back unless I'm out. I get so worked up my bp goes high and I start sweating like a pig. I get RF around every 9 months on 3 levels on both sides. These shots can help and for you I hope they do

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cervical Epidural Gone Wrong Babebahn 7 2,211 01-12-2019, 03:46 PM
Last Post: tinainky
  epidural injections for herniated disc? nurse83 22 42,576 04-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Last Post: pattik1130
  Epidural Lipomatosis hurt back 1 3,399 11-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Steroid Injections hurt back 53 49,575 06-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Last Post: hurt back
  Steriod Injections for Herniated Disks ib neck casual1 0 3,846 06-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Last Post: casual1
  Had first Epidural last week, got another surprise! bagpussinamerica 0 3,725 05-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Last Post: bagpussinamerica
  Anyone have Trigger Point Injections? NVworker 10 20,299 09-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Last Post: nana62
  Emg/Epidural jamboski73 6 7,617 07-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Last Post: jayne
  can steroid injection make you worse.. sand3rd 7 34,376 06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Epidural jamboski73 6 7,395 02-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Last Post: jamboski73