Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Work Comp Appeals Board order retirement?
I got injured in California, my employer did not pay to SSDI. My injury limits my ability to work, and my question is - can Work Compensation Appeals Board issue life time retirement payments? Work comp insurance offered me 40k for 32% disability, but that won't last long if I am unable to work.
Thank you all!

A 32% rating means you are only partially disabled and you are expected to find work within your restrictions. Only a 100% rating is considered as Permanent Total disability.
Workers comp insurance only awards disability payments and is not associated with any retirement system..
In california a rating of 70% or more qualifies an injured worker for a life pension payment after The permanent disability is paid out.
Failure Of an employer to fund The employeesSocial Security account should be taken up with social security.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(05-30-2020, 07:21 PM)1171 Wrote: A 32% rating means you are only partially disabled and you are expected to find work within your restrictions. Only a 100% rating is considered as Permanent Total disability.
Workers comp insurance only awards disability payments and is not associated with any retirement system..
In california a rating of 70% or more qualifies an injured worker for a life pension payment after The permanent disability is paid out.
Failure Of an employer to fund The employeesSocial Security account should be taken up with social security.

Thank you!
Is there a law that 70% rating entitles to a life pension?
Regarding the rating, AME only accounted for my neck injury calculating his rating. I have a C6-C7 torn disc which presses on a spinal cord and pain shoots down my arm. The damage to spinal cord and arm weakness was not accounted for. My neurosurgeon said I cannot lift over 10lb. I have an attorney and he only wants me to settle. I asked for a FCE, and he said it was not necessary since AME already found me unable to return to my current job. But wouln't FCE show limits to do other jobs? Should I insist on FCE or another evaluation by AME?

(05-30-2020, 03:55 PM)Amanda15 Wrote: I got injured in California, my employer did not pay to SSDI. My injury limits my ability to work, and my question is - can Work Compensation Appeals Board issue life time retirement payments? Work comp insurance offered me 40k for 32% disability, but that won't last long if I am unable to work.
Thank you all!

Some employers like LA sheriff department do not deduct social security from paycheck due to having other retirement benefit. Does your employer have similiar? Do you know what is the reason why social security was not deducted from your paychecks?
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

yes:
"4659.
(a) If the permanent disability is at least 70 percent, but less than 100 percent, 1.5 percent of the average weekly earnings for each 1 percent of disability in excess of 60 percent is to be paid during the remainder of life, after payment for the maximum number of weeks specified in Section 4658 has been made."
California generally does not use an FCE; California uses the AMA guides for rating. Many FCE factors are different.
However there is case law that allows the court to interpret permanent impairment outside of the the strict AMA guidelines.
Your atty would have to show with persuasive medical evidence to the court that the rating in your case should be modified. it is a rare and difficult standard to meet and would likely require multiple appeals.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Im glad that helped.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(06-01-2020, 04:10 PM)California_Help Wrote:
(05-30-2020, 03:55 PM)Amanda15 Wrote: I got injured in California, my employer did not pay to SSDI. My injury limits my ability to work, and my question is - can Work Compensation Appeals Board issue life time retirement payments? Work comp insurance offered me 40k for 32% disability, but that won't last long if I am unable to work.
Thank you all!

Some employers like LA sheriff department do not deduct social security from paycheck due to having other retirement benefit. Does your employer have similiar? Do you know what is the reason why social security was not deducted from your paychecks?

Thank you very much! Yes, I worked for law enforcement. Can a functional capacity evaluation increase the rating, or will it at lease be considered by WCAB?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calpers industrial disability retirement Barbell714 3 801 09-30-2019, 01:07 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Work comp adjuster changing doctors CA kibby 12 2,000 06-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: richard_girling
Shy Work related/induced stress & workers comp heartworkerNC 7 6,054 02-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Last Post: TerryLewis
  ust now Can I quit my job and do freelance work during workers comp? caworkerscompqs 1 1,279 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
  Drawing umemployment off your work comp Bets 8 1,726 01-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
  Work Comp Lien with Fradulent Amounts samistheman 5 4,865 10-29-2018, 05:10 PM
  NY WORK COMP BOARD EXPANDING DRUG FORMULARY.... 1171 0 766 10-24-2018, 02:10 PM
  Work comp overpayment Golfgod00 2 1,418 07-28-2018, 06:45 PM
  Virginia Work Comp/ Forced surgery Kedward7 4 2,084 04-12-2018, 02:36 PM
  Work Comp SSDI Offset-Hartman formula kong 5 13,268 03-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Seeking Help