Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you depressed and anxious because of your injury?
Question 
Hey Readers,
So I'm a newer member and I've only read posts from the past couple of months so maybe it's been covered elsewhere, but I have noticed a lot of talk about depression and anxiety. Keep in mind I live in CA so laws may be slightly different for you, but this information should be relevant to all injured workers.
I want you all to know you have a right to receive treatment for this if your work injury is the cause of your mental deterioration. What you need is a PQME (Panel Qualified Medical Exam). Your PTP will need to make thorough notes on your mental state to get this approved, but if you are depressed and your injury is to blame you may be eligible for treatment.
In California you go to a PQME, they diagnose you, and they look at past mental health. I had no mental health issues prior to my injury so my PQME found that my mental deterioration is 100% industrial (ie injury related). The downside is your mental health problems have to be 51% because of your injury. So for example if you were the victim of child abuse or some other psychologically damaging events throughout your life they will weigh against the findings.
Since my mental health issues are 100% injury related (remember you only need a 51% or more to qualify) the insurance company has to take responsibility. I see a psychologist and a psychiatrist all covered by the insurance. You can also have Psych added as an accepted body part to your claim, but this is something you would need to discuss with your attorney.
Chronic pain sucks. Being disabled sucks. Being depressed sucks, but you CAN get help for this. Keep your heads up!! There is light at the end of the tunnel even if you don't see it.
"Spread love everywhere you go." - Mother Teresa​
I am not a professional and I live in California. I've been in the system 93 months and counting so I've been around the block a couple of times.

panel qualified medical examination is not required in california but is commonly requested.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused and Depressed in Maryland Backagain 6 5,416 04-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Last Post: PainandSmiles
  SSD approval...depressed and confused~ sonny1 13 13,178 11-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Last Post: nursedina
  A Little Depressed Today Because........... chrischris 16 10,171 07-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Last Post: chrischris
Question Depressed ems30 18 7,406 10-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  Not depressed or in enough pain! capricorn 17 8,043 09-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Last Post: capricorn