Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ca., My lawyer will retire on me at the end of the year question
State: California

My lawyer just called me saying he is going to retire by end of year. He is sending me a packet to sign and get back to him asap in regards to transferring me to the lawyer who bought his practice apparently. My lawyer is not apart of a firm. Here are my concerns

My original lawyer will retain his 15% and this new lawyer will also get %15. Is this something that is legally permissible?

If I refuse the counsel of my lawyers replacement does my original lawyer still retain a lien on my case if I decide to find a new lawyer, outside of his replacement? Thank you in advance

B

probably not.
the comp court--WCAB has jurisdiction over all atty fees.
should they try to double bill your for single service, you can file an objection with the comp court.
you can find your own lawyer. talk to a couple and tell them what they are trying to do. the usual routine when lawyers are switched is they file a fee splitting agreement with the court showing how the 15% will be split.
this keeps attys from "retiring" and then "unretiring" once they get they money.
attys have the smae ethics problems as the rest of us.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Find attys here
Www://caaa.org
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(10-11-2019, 06:54 PM)1171 Wrote: probably not.
the comp court--WCAB has jurisdiction over all atty fees.
should they try to double bill your for single service, you can file an objection with the comp court.
you can find your own lawyer. talk to a couple and tell them what they are trying to do. the usual routine when lawyers are switched is they file a fee splitting agreement with the court showing how the 15% will be split.
this keeps attys from "retiring" and then "unretiring" once they get they money.
attys have the smae ethics problems as the rest of us.

Does he still have a lien on my case considering his withdrawal prior to case completion?

Yes.
as i said your current atty/firm are treated as a single entity and your new atty will have to work out a fee splitting agreement.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I agree with 1171. From what I have seen they split the 15%. I have seen some injured workers change attorney's up to 5 times, and still they all the attorney's split the same 15% and are not allowed to pile on and each receive 15% of IW's settlement. This is also why it can be difficult to find another attorney, they know their fee will be split.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Toungue Question about year old lien lonelylib81 1 1,986 07-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Last Post: 1171
  feel i'm being forced to retire bella 2 3,638 06-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Last Post: bella