Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scary, rude QME doctor
I've been so depressed and despondent since my QME appointment. The nurses and dr assistants were all very nice, and took lots of x rays of my condition and did a thorough exam, but when the doctor came in, he automatically accused me of lying to him, and started threatening me about workers comp fraud and how people who try to defraud the system go to jail, etc.

It was all because of a misunderstanding on my part when I did the phone interview with his "historian." When she inquired about past car accidents, I was assuming that she was talking about accidents I'd been injured in. I told her that there were none that I recall. I guess she meant accidents total, but tbh, I really don't remember how many car accidents I've had my entire life.

When I told him I didn't remember all my accidents, he asked how old I was. When I told him, he said "Gee, I'm almost 20 yrs older than you and I can remember all of my accidents. I don't understand why your memory would be so bad when you're still that young. That makes no sense." I'll be 49 in a couple months, but that's beside the point. I suffer from depression, which I think has effected my ability to recall stuff over the years, and sometimes I can't think clearly.

He basically accused me of trying to lie and defraud the system, and he talked about not wanting to be dragged into an interrogation on my behalf. Before I even had a chance to think about the question, or explain the misunderstanding, he automatically accuses me of being dishonest.

I was totally caught off guard by this attitude, and couldn't explain myself too clearly because he made me extremely uncomfortable. I explained to him that I wasn't trying to defraud anyone, because I wrote on the questionairre he gave me (which the assistant was looking at) the major accidents that I remember, and if I were trying to defraud him, I wouldn't have contradicted myself like that. He then brought up an accident that I had forgotten about that happened almost 10 yrs ago. I explained to him that I hadn't been hurt in that one, and that I honestly didn't remember it, but said yes, I had been involved.

The questionaire he gave me specifically said, any accidents, whether you were hurt or not. The lady on the phone made it sound like they wanted accidents that I experienced injuries from, or at least that's how I remember it.

He didn't disagree that I was injured and can't do my normal work, but he got really defensive and threatening when he thought I was lying to him. He said "You know that car accidents can cause this type of injury too." When I explained to him the accidents that do I recall, except for the one he pointed out that happened 10 yrs ago, all of them happened in a company vehicle, on company time, while I was working, he kinda shut up at that point. Then he was somewhat pleasant

It's been a week, and I am so depressed over this doctor's attitude, and my visit, that I don't have energy to do anything. I feel like I incriminated myself without attempting to. It's been a week and I can't break from this depression, or these feelings of stupidity, and that this doctor automatically pegged me a liar.

At this point I just wanna give up. This case has gone on for so long already, and at this point, I just don't care what happens.

Contact your therapist and get back into treatment; you can’t treat severe depression by yourself or on a message board. You need to stay with a professional who can help you manage your emotions.
If you don’t have an atty representing you on your claim, get one asap. Let the lawyer deal with the claim issues while you focus on treatment.
Turn your treatment and your insurance issues over to trained professionals; you focus on you.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

P.S.
Some states have a complaint process. If/when you feel up to it check to see if you can file one.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(09-26-2019, 08:35 PM)1171 Wrote: P.S.
Some states have a complaint process. If/when you feel up to it check to see if you can file one.

So you are saying that this isn't a typical experience with a QME doctor? They're not typically this aggressive?

(09-26-2019, 09:16 PM)Ampersand Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 08:35 PM)1171 Wrote: P.S.

So you are saying that this isn't a typical experience with a QME doctor? They're not typically this aggressive?
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I don’t know your state. There are thousands of doctors in the US doing injury exams for all sorts of reasons.
there are no official statistics. Read some posts on this board; They seem to show they are no worse or better then any doctors people have. Complaining about doctors is a common problem for most with serious injuries. Are you trying to make a blanket judgement about all on one exam?
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Help please Was on light duty wc doctor....new doctor out of work till .. Feelbad 6 1,081 01-25-2019, 11:45 PM
Last Post: 1171