Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
study on spinal fusion surgeries
https://www.mdalert.com/article/spinal-f...ive-costly
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Watched it.... the SCS was the last one... Too bad NY only gives you 2 1/2 years to file a Malpractice... I was always told the nerves take time to grow back when the SCS was removed... by that time, it was too late..

Recheck the statute. Most states the time limit starts from the date of knowledge not the procedure date.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

My post should of been in Calf's other one... But the first picture in this link looks just like my neck... 2 rods, 12 screws..

1171... SCS was removed May 5, 2016... for about 2 years, that surgeon and his PA kept telling me how long it takes for the nerves to grow back.... plus the surgeon who did my neck can't understand WHY I still have nerve damage in right shoulder to my right hand... As soon as I can, I'll be scheduling an appt with my newest one and have him go over everything and see what he says..

I put a link just to the spinal cord stimulator story to separate it out.

Many states statute of limitations is from the date you knew or should have known....and not the date of surgery. It sounds like you may have been mislead for a long time by your doctor. You are not the only one who had problems with that particular device, there were hundreds of adverse events reported. With only 1% being reported I would assume thousands of adverse events for that model.

What I do not like is some doctors are not telling patients what this surgery entails or the risks. Many patients are not being told for example that they do a laminectomy (remove bones covering spinal cord).

It also pisses me off when I go on the manufacturers website they do not list death as a possible complication. They leave that out.

I also don't like the fact that I have come across several patients who had complications after they were implanted with the device, but were told the complications were not related. Really?

I know these devices help a lot of people who have horrific pain. I just want patients to have informed consent about them and know the risks. I also don't want them gaslit if there is a complication.

The directions for implantation for doctors is available online. I think it is a good idea for patients to read those directions and be fully aware what the doctor is going to do during this procedure. Then patients can truly weigh it out.

You can ask your doctor for the make and model number of the device before being implanted with it and go on the FDA website to review the reported adverse events. If anyone needs help with this I will try to assist. Some of these devices have more problems than others. I would not recommend a new device on the market as it has not been proven.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

The article about fusions is talking about DDD and not all spine conditions. . There are serious and life threatening conditions that warrant fusions.

(06-20-2019, 02:14 PM)California_Help Wrote: I put a link just to the spinal cord stimulator story to separate it out.

Many states statute of limitations is from the date you knew or should have known....and not the date of surgery. It sounds like you may have been mislead for a long time by your doctor. You are not the only one who had problems with that particular device, there were hundreds of adverse events reported. With only 1% being reported I would assume thousands of adverse events for that model.

What I do not like is some doctors are not telling patients what this surgery entails or the risks. Many patients are not being told for example that they do a laminectomy (remove bones covering spinal cord).

It also pisses me off when I go on the manufacturers website they do not list death as a possible complication. They leave that out.

I also don't like the fact that I have come across several patients who had complications after they were implanted with the device, but were told the complications were not related. Really?

I know these devices help a lot of people who have horrific pain. I just want patients to have informed consent about them and know the risks. I also don't want them gaslit if there is a complication.

The directions for implantation for doctors is available online. I think it is a good idea for patients to read those directions and be fully aware what the doctor is going to do during this procedure. Then patients can truly weigh it out.

You can ask your doctor for the make and model number of the device before being implanted with it and go on the FDA website to review the reported adverse events. If anyone needs help with this I will try to assist. Some of these devices have more problems than others. I would not recommend a new device on the market as it has not been proven.

My comments above are for spinal cord stimulators.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research your spinal implants before agreeing to a fusion California_Help 1 285 08-29-2019, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Flipping fran
  HELP! Injured, two disc fusion surgeries, permanent nerve damage,dont know what to do Blackhawks19 5 1,119 10-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Spinal fusion cas Anna3217 2 1,365 04-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Last Post: 1171
  What to expect after multiple surgeries KingRichard 2 1,131 03-14-2017, 07:05 PM
  surgeries and scheduled loss of use BLITZCREED22 3 3,601 10-09-2013, 06:52 PM
  Nerve study test Speedyro1970 4 4,480 06-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Last Post: Cycler
  Can WC force 2 knee surgeries at once? Debradough 8 4,815 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Spinal Fusion/Mandatory Settlement? Jherek 3 31,936 05-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Last Post: (EX)surveillanceInvestigator
  Spinal Fusion Need Help matcc 12 10,256 05-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Failed Spinal Fusion at S1-Pelvis area brentaw 6 11,447 03-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees