Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
should I file
Hello, everyone, my last post didn't get a single reply, but it was more of a rant than a question. I have been on workers comp going on 20 months. I have been wondering if I should file for ssdi benefits. I now have no health insurance due to job cutting me off. I'm about to go back to my smo who knows how that will go. What I'm asking is has anyone when thru the process and how that affects wc. I asked my lawyer about it and he said no don't do that right now it will affect a settlement I don't care about that. what I care about is my kids being taking care of. I know that's how the lawyers make their money so I wanted someone else's advice.

SSDI will only be for the period you were totally disabled. The amount is limited to a combined 80% of wages. It Often takes months and a couple appeals. Comp settlements are rarely as much as you loose in wages
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

What would you do ?

I,d try to calculate the SSDI payout and see if it exceeds the possible settlement loss. In most Cases the
Difference is minimal and I’d take the SSDI now rather then a vague promise of a lucrative future settlement.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I'm not too sure how to do it. What is the formula?

Talk to your local social security office. THeir calculations are a bit complex. There is a calculator here
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/AnypiaApplet.html
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I know I would get $$$$ I just don't know how that factors into WC.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10018.pdf
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

From the info, you are giving me it looks like this will help me and not hurt me. I am going to talk to someone at ssi to see if my calculations are right. I know my lawyer will be mad because he said wait, but my kids can't be told to wait when they are hungry.

Your atty fee is based on the settlement amount; there is built in bias for high settlement amount versus what is best for client. Those interests are not Always the same.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  to file (a claim) or not to file BigFish_LittleFish 1 2,359 06-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Not sure if I can file???? Julie 5 5,768 07-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Julie