Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workers Comp Violation?
I was hoping that someone could help me out here. I had filed or a worker's comp injury a few months ago. My insurance company wanted to fight the claim being they thought it wasn't work related. It is a carpal tunnel injury and I am a mechanic for the state of New York. I work with tools every single day so no doubt in my mind it was work related.
I was told that there would be a hearing to discuss the claim. In the meantime my supervisor has told all my co-workers about my claim and that he feels that it's all a lie. He has a lot of my coworkers now not talking to me at work or talking behind my back. I have caught my supervisor on several occasions talking about my case. There is no way that this could be lawful. I feel he is impeding not only in my HIPAA rights, but discussing in detail how he is going to try and get me back for it. What do you do when you don't trust your human resource department. They always seem to side on management. Any thoughts would help.
Floyd

Sharing medical information with those that do not have a legitimate need to know is a violation of your limited HIPPA protections.
Your bigger problem is the potential for retaliatory termination /punishment.
This would violate the workers compensation anti-discrimination provisions:
http://www.wcb.ny.gov/content/main/onthe...nation.jsp
My first recommendation is to contact your union. Most collective bargaining contracts have severe penalties for such behavior.
You will need substantial documentation if you wish to pursue legal action:
Names, dates, statements, quotes, witnesses, prior retaliatory behavior, etc .
You can consult a labor law atty at any time. You can also file an administrative complaint.
You can find out more about your administrative options by contacting the NY dept of labor:
https://labor.ny.gov/equal-opportunity/h...claim.shtm
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(11-16-2018, 11:45 AM)Floydmay22 Wrote: I was hoping that someone could help me out here. I had filed or a worker's comp injury a few months ago. My insurance company wanted to fight the claim being they thought it wasn't work related. It is a carpal tunnel injury and I am a mechanic for the state of New York. I work with tools every single day so no doubt in my mind it was work related.
I was told that there would be a hearing to discuss the claim. In the meantime my supervisor has told all my co-workers about my claim and that he feels that it's all a lie. He has a lot of my coworkers now not talking to me at work or talking behind my back. I have caught my supervisor on several occasions talking about my case. There is no way that this could be lawful. I feel he is impeding not only in my HIPAA rights, but discussing in detail how he is going to try and get me back for it. What do you do when you don't trust your human resource department. They always seem to side on management. Any thoughts would help.
Floyd

HR department is there to protect the best interest of the company. Employees are not always aware of this and believe that they are protection for the employees. This is a false belief.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Workers Comp Disputing Medical Bills gamora77 1 465 03-15-2019, 11:22 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Built a map of workers comp. John_Richardson 1 993 02-28-2019, 08:48 AM
Last Post: TerryLewis
Shy Work related/induced stress & workers comp heartworkerNC 7 4,659 02-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Last Post: TerryLewis
  Typical Workers Comp Settlement for Stress? California queenbvirgin 2 756 02-04-2019, 08:47 PM
  ust now Can I quit my job and do freelance work during workers comp? caworkerscompqs 1 587 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Sad Workers comp settlement amount help Jayal27 4 1,844 09-07-2018, 04:06 PM
  Workers Comp. running out in Calif. C3d 3 1,937 08-20-2018, 01:11 AM
  IME report/Workers comp/employer debikayluo 6 8,236 06-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Last Post: tinainky
  NJ Workers Comp Question mcats 32 11,659 06-06-2018, 05:01 PM
  Workers Comp Adjuster (Arizona) 241050 9 2,513 05-20-2018, 12:07 PM