Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP! Injured, two disc fusion surgeries, permanent nerve damage,dont know what to do
Ill try to sum this up quickly and any help or advice anyone can give I thank you. Been an agonizing two + years.

Work for the US Postal Service. Injured on the job May 2016, ended up with 3 damaged herniated discs. Surgeon recommend immediate surgery on one disc, the other two he said should be fine, worst disc wass pressing on nerve that runs thru my arm and fingers. Sharp arm pain and half my hand is numb.

It took 6 months to get thru hoops and 3 different surgeons who all agreed surgery was only option. Had disc fusion surgery in late Nov 2016

After surgery pain was stil there, went thru 2-3 months of therapy and pain was getting worse, I pretty much demanded another MRI. This was about Feb 2017.

MRI results showed a second disc herniated even more and was pressing on the spinal cord/nerves running thru my left arm even worse than the first one was. Surgeon said if I had the surgery when he wanted (In May 2016) this may have been prevented. DOL rep blamed surgeon for not seeing the second damaged disc (during surgery) that didnt make sense to me, or him... but whatever.

Didnt get second surgery approved and done until JULY of 2017. Neurosurgeon was called in during surgery due to the fact it was pressing so deeply on my spinal cord.

Been in therapy from August 2017 until August 2018, Surgeon said this may be as good as it gets and sends me to Work Hardening Therapy.

Some test the therapist submitted to the surgeon (it took 5 minutes... wasnt even this FCE I've heard about) claims Im at 65% I have no clue how this could have been determined by me lifting a couple of extra weights for 5 minutes.

Surgeon is sending me back to work for 4 hours a day and will increase that over the next month. I completely afraid Im not going to be able to do this.
Therapy sessions were 1.5 hours, and the work hardening was 3 hours (but I always had to take a break after 2 hours with ice on my neck) In addition to that I have to take meds (pain reliever and muscle relaxers) which I obviously cant take if im driving to and from work.

I do want to go back to work, this entire fiasco has financially destroyed me. But I feel Im being forced back by people who are just trying to get me out of their hair (or paperwork)

I have 28 years in and have never had anything like this happen. Ive talked to many lawyers and ALL have said I have a case, but none handle the Post Office.

Currently I get migraines almost every two weeks... my shoulder and arm pain are a tiny bit better, but still cant lift my arm much without a sharp pain shooting thru my upper arm. My left hand I can barely feel the last three fingers. its always numb. My neck.... constant pain.

Any help?? Suggestions?? Advice?? Im so lost

after spending a lot of time off work, being afraid to return -even in limited capacity- is natural and expected. you acclimated to being off work and being a full time patient; you are also capable of reversing the process. Fear is common when facing unknowns; its how you handle and react to it that matters.
unfortunately there is no easy way for medical professionals to determine whether you want to overcome your fear of returning to work or you have given into it and/or are being motivated by secondary gain-- except by recommending a work trial. remaining out of the work force any longer then necessary is quick path to financial disaster.

when the doctors have few treatment options left and the patient is reluctant to accept that situation there is a great potential to develop a debilitating dependency cycle. you don't want to lock your mental and emotional state into focusing on what you can't do or what you've lost. successful disability recovery requires you look for new opportunities to bring into your everyday life.
if full recovery and return to your job is not possible you may benefit from vocational rehabilitation benefits. To find out more go here:
https://www.dol.gov/owcp/dfec/regs/compl.../FECA-PT8/
you didn't post your state so i can't be specific about federal employment lawyer information.
you can try a general search for your state here:
https://www.avvo.com/workers-compensation-lawyer.html
or contact your state bar.
I'm surprised any of the lawyers you contacted did not refer you to a local federal work comp atty.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(10-05-2018, 02:46 PM)Blackhawks19 Wrote: Ill try to sum this up quickly and any help or advice anyone can give I thank you. Been an agonizing two + years.

Work for the US Postal Service. Injured on the job May 2016, ended up with 3 damaged herniated discs. Surgeon recommend immediate surgery on one disc, the other two he said should be fine, worst disc wass pressing on nerve that runs thru my arm and fingers. Sharp arm pain and half my hand is numb.

It took 6 months to get thru hoops and 3 different surgeons who all agreed surgery was only option. Had disc fusion surgery in late Nov 2016

After surgery pain was stil there, went thru 2-3 months of therapy and pain was getting worse, I pretty much demanded another MRI. This was about Feb 2017.

MRI results showed a second disc herniated even more and was pressing on the spinal cord/nerves running thru my left arm even worse than the first one was. Surgeon said if I had the surgery when he wanted (In May 2016) this may have been prevented. DOL rep blamed surgeon for not seeing the second damaged disc (during surgery) that didnt make sense to me, or him... but whatever.

Didnt get second surgery approved and done until JULY of 2017. Neurosurgeon was called in during surgery due to the fact it was pressing so deeply on my spinal cord.

Been in therapy from August 2017 until August 2018, Surgeon said this may be as good as it gets and sends me to Work Hardening Therapy.

Some test the therapist submitted to the surgeon (it took 5 minutes... wasnt even this FCE I've heard about) claims Im at 65% I have no clue how this could have been determined by me lifting a couple of extra weights for 5 minutes.

Surgeon is sending me back to work for 4 hours a day and will increase that over the next month. I completely afraid Im not going to be able to do this.
Therapy sessions were 1.5 hours, and the work hardening was 3 hours (but I always had to take a break after 2 hours with ice on my neck) In addition to that I have to take meds (pain reliever and muscle relaxers) which I obviously cant take if im driving to and from work.

I do want to go back to work, this entire fiasco has financially destroyed me. But I feel Im being forced back by people who are just trying to get me out of their hair (or paperwork)

I have 28 years in and have never had anything like this happen. Ive talked to many lawyers and ALL have said I have a case, but none handle the Post Office.

Currently I get migraines almost every two weeks... my shoulder and arm pain are a tiny bit better, but still cant lift my arm much without a sharp pain shooting thru my upper arm. My left hand I can barely feel the last three fingers. its always numb. My neck.... constant pain.

Any help?? Suggestions?? Advice?? Im so lost

Can the post office place you in another position that you are able to do?
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(10-05-2018, 03:57 PM)1171 Wrote: after spending a lot of time off work, being afraid to return -even in limited capacity- is natural and expected. you acclimated to being off work and being a full time patient; you are also capable of reversing the process. Fear is common when facing unknowns; its how you handle and react to it that matters.
unfortunately there is no easy way for medical professionals to determine whether you want to overcome your fear of returning to work or you have given into it and/or are being motivated by secondary gain-- except by recommending a work trial. remaining out of the work force any longer then necessary is quick path to financial disaster.

when the doctors have few treatment options left and the patient is reluctant to accept that situation there is a great potential to develop a debilitating dependency cycle. you don't want to lock your mental and emotional state into focusing on what you can't do or what you've lost. successful disability recovery requires you look for new opportunities to bring into your everyday life.
if full recovery and return to your job is not possible you may benefit from vocational rehabilitation benefits. To find out more go here:
https://www.dol.gov/owcp/dfec/regs/compl.../FECA-PT8/

1171 what you wrote can help others going through similar situations. I wish doctors took the time to explain why they are having their patient attempt to return to a work trial.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

My words may sound helpful but I realize many patients aren’t always in a place where they can “hear” them.
Sometimes they believe so strongly that they can regain their prior life and vigor, they are not ready to accept anything less. But also occassionally they realize that not everything can be fixed. Those individuals may have the motivation to move forward. Hopefully this is the case.
Thankx For your support and the comp laud referral.Smile
Hope you are doing well.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(10-06-2018, 12:16 AM)1171 Wrote: My words may sound helpful but I realize many patients aren’t always in a place where they can “hear” them.
Sometimes they believe so strongly that they can regain their prior life and vigor, they are not ready to accept anything less. But also occassionally they realize that not everything can be fixed. Those individuals may have the motivation to move forward. Hopefully this is the case.
Thankx For your support and the comp laud referral.Smile
Hope you are doing well.

You help a lot of people. Thank you for doing that!

I am hanging in there...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  study on spinal fusion surgeries California_Help 6 339 06-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  nerve damage STRATTONJE 2 1,590 09-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Last Post: STRATTONJE
  What to expect after multiple surgeries KingRichard 2 1,131 03-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Settling a lifetime medical on a herniated disc claim Peanut 2 3,991 06-13-2016, 07:15 PM
  epidural injections for herniated disc? nurse83 22 39,737 04-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Last Post: pattik1130
  Advise for workers comp claim. Only 20yrs old w/ damage to disc in lower back!! brandnew23 17 23,738 01-11-2016, 10:24 PM
  Aprox PPD rating for DDD Lumbar Disc Replacement Wabackinjury 3 4,476 07-18-2015, 12:02 AM
  TIP to view medical images on disc... 1171 5 6,352 07-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
Exclamation 20yo lumbar herniated disc and losing my mind Rojersca 15 15,682 06-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Manley2
Wink Back injury from work 2011 now having nerve damage Rebecca 8 14,888 04-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Last Post: California_Help