Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settled, but insurance not paying past medical
Hello all, firstly want to point out this forum is awesome.  I never posted much (if at all), but always was able to search a wealth of information to help me for the 3 years I was on WC!

So here is my current issue (I live in Pennsylvania).  I settled my case back in January, and was happy with the settlement.  In the agreement the insurance company accepted all previous medical billings (which at the time they had outstanding balances over 100k).  However, one claim they have not paid.  I have forwarded it to my lawyer twice, and each time the defense said the carrier would pay.  NOW, it is still not paid and it has gone to collections and is hurting my credit.  It's a $2,000 MRI bill.  I am pretty frustrated to put it lightly.  As everyone knows all the lawyers are buddy/buddy (defense and offense), so the carrier is in violation of a signed judges order.  

I'm considering my options, and want to know if anyone else has had this issue?  I am considering using a different lawyer to sue the carrier because they are clearly in violation, my current lawyer is friends with defense and doesn't want to do anything (my agreement with him has ended, so I can go elsewhere).  

Does anyone know my options or have advice?

Generally it’s illegal for a medical provider to require payment from an injured worker In a workers compensation case.
You can write to the hospital administrator with a cc to the comp carrier and the collection agency advising them of the carriers work comp obligation. Include a copy of the settlement terms.
Your atty should have done this but since they’ve already gotten their fee they are loath to do any more work on the claim.
Keep a copy on your letter.
If the collection efforts continue, its time to go back to the comp court to enforcement and penalties— if your atty will cooperate.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Hope that helps...
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(06-21-2018, 11:04 PM)1171 Wrote: Hope that helps...

I spoke to my lawyer today and just told him flat out if he won't pursue a violation I would seek alternate counsel.  I guess that was the kick they needed.  

The IC has been notified 3 times now that this was outstanding, so I don't see any reason they wouldn't want to take care of it.  I'm positive the judge would have have a problem with it too. So we shall see.  I will be anxiously waiting for that white envelope with the petition...

Good for you. He’s still your atty of record until dismissed by the court.
You can also file a complaint with the state bar.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Insurance Co. Settlement Future Medical Questions Solin 3 1,770 03-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Solin
  If you could tell your past self "key things in California Comp", what would they be? Billy Miller 1 997 02-08-2018, 12:28 AM
Last Post: 1171
  surgery soon...can I claim a past injury report from a past employer raymo55 4 2,017 09-28-2017, 03:52 PM
  17 years and still not settled tombstonekid 13 10,981 03-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Last Post: RootsGal
  Stalling paying for approved surgery lagaile 4 2,243 10-19-2015, 02:12 PM
  Settled with open medical, need advice bronco54501 7 6,630 04-02-2015, 08:38 PM
  Past injuries mandalan 6 4,648 10-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Last Post: darrinb
  Past injuries mandalan 2 2,923 10-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Last Post: mandalan
  45 days past 10 day limit to pay award villui 10 7,498 05-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Last Post: villui
  **no names please** injury reported just past 24 hrs CatItzi 5 4,571 03-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Manley2