Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Approved for ssdi while receiving WC in reverse offset state
So I understand how the offset works with ssdi while receiving WC benefits. Since I receive WC benefits from CO, a reverse offset state, From what I understand it is WC that is offset instead of SSDI. Guess the question is the back pay from SSDI, as it took just under 3 yrs to get approved, if the offset is not applied to the ssdi side of things, wouldn't that cause an overpayment on the WC side of things. Have not received my benefits amount yet from SSDI, but trying to ahead on things so I am not caught with my pants down so to speak.

If the state offsets SSDI, the comp payments are capped so you don't exceed the 80% total limit.
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10018.pdf
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Glad I could help.
Thankx for posting.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(06-05-2018, 11:19 AM)1171 Wrote: If the state offsets SSDI, the comp payments are capped so you don't exceed the 80% total limit.
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10018.pdf

I guess I am confused, I get the 80% part. In my case since I receive WC in CO the SSDI does not get offset, but the WC does. But I am wondering does SS communicate with my WC to address the overpayment from them as I received WC for nearly 3 years prior to being approved for SSDI. In a majority of states the SSDI would just be offset to put you at the 80%. I believe there are 13 states that are reverse offset. Have also read that in CO that if the WC is notified within 20 days of you receiving payment from other entities such as SSDI that they can only get back the overpayment at the rate they overpaid it. Makes more sense for them to just get it out of the backpay from SSDI. But wasn't to sure how that works since SSDI was not the one doing the offset.

I don,t know the rules for handling retroactive SSDI offsets for each of the reverse offset states.
You can try contacting Colorado DWC directly:
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdle/node/19931
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Thanks for the info.  I just found out,  well as it stands I received my full benefit amount as well as the full back pay. So now I am waiting for a call from my WC attorney, I did email them and ask them pretty much the same question.

(06-06-2018, 11:31 AM)farmboy Wrote: Thanks for the info.  I just found out,  well as it stands I received my full benefit amount as well as the full back pay. So now I am waiting for a call from my WC attorney, I did email them and ask them pretty much the same question.

So you are overpaid. It's likely the state will reduce any permanent disability you may awarded in the future.
I'm surprised they didn't notify you when TTD first started about possibility of repayment should you receive other payments in the future for the same period.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(06-06-2018, 12:03 PM)1171 Wrote:
(06-06-2018, 11:31 AM)farmboy Wrote: Thanks for the info.  I just found out,  well as it stands I received my full benefit amount as well as the full back pay. So now I am waiting for a call from my WC attorney, I did email them and ask them pretty much the same question.

So you are overpaid. It's likely the state will reduce any permanent disability you may awarded in the future.
I'm surprised they didn't notify you when TTD first started about possibility of repayment should you receive other payments in the future for the same period.

As of this morning yes I am Overpaid. I do have attorneys for both SS and WC, asked all these questions prior to being approved, never really got a straight answer from them. Granted after my injury we relocated to AZ from CO, even though I filed for SSDI in CO my appeals were filed in AZ. Understandably my SS attorney normally deals with the normal offset of SSDI rather than reverse offset. I do know that most likely I will receive a settlement from WC (loss of limb), so wasn't sure if they would just say they deduct the overpayment from the settlement, take it from the overpayment or how it would work. Granted since I have an Attorney for WC, WC wont communicate directly with me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SSDI Offset footballfan 7 1,407 08-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Seeking Help
  Work Comp SSDI Offset-Hartman formula kong 5 12,516 03-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Seeking Help
  Ca Adjuster will not pay Workers Compensation Benefits on Approved Claim. What to do? Billy Miller 4 1,933 02-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Receiving sec 32 from NYS Insurance Fund Jeffsande01 2 2,534 10-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Jeffsande01
  SDI, WC, and SSDI Offset injuree 6 3,141 08-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Old Injury - Still Receiving Treatment Onrope 4 2,168 08-05-2016, 02:42 PM
  SSDI Approved -Have Small Kids...Questions (CA) neckpain101 4 3,194 06-02-2016, 12:02 AM
  NC State WC employees and State Employee bonus CuriousOneNC 1 2,317 01-06-2016, 06:46 PM
  Stalling paying for approved surgery lagaile 4 2,207 10-19-2015, 02:12 PM
  How To Get Yoga Approved CA Work Comp California_Help 0 2,035 08-10-2015, 11:54 AM