Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settlement + Obamacare: Can New Health Ins Co Ask For Settlement Money?
Hi, I am in Florida.

As it stands right now if I settle and go under Obamacare will I be able to keep all of the settlement or does my new health insurance company have the right to ask for it if they are treating issues arising from the WC injury?

(03-23-2018, 12:47 PM)Solin Wrote: Hi, I am in Florida.

As it stands right now if I settle and go under Obamacare will I be able to keep all of the settlement or does my new health insurance company have the right to ask for it if they are treating issues arising from the WC injury?

Why would a private insurance company have the right to take your settlement money? You can call the exchange and ask about this. I recommend you are clear and state for a CLOSED work comp claim.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(03-23-2018, 01:12 PM)California_Help Wrote:

Why would a private insurance company have the right to take your settlement money? You can call the exchange and ask about this. I recommend you are clear and state for a CLOSED work comp claim.

https://www.healthcare.gov/
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(03-23-2018, 01:15 PM)California_Help Wrote:

first I not attorney but when you settle your lawyer should request an amou t of money for your injury
Usually know as medicare aside
That amount will be in an scrow account that will be use every time you goto any doctor to treat your injury
If you dont spend the whole amount for every year until age 75 they will return the amount not used for that year
lisent to others opinions

the carrier has the right to your medical records/medical history.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(03-23-2018, 02:03 PM)path62 Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 01:15 PM)California_Help Wrote:

first I not attorney but when you settle your lawyer should request an amou t of money for your injury
Usually know as medicare aside
That amount will be in an scrow account that will be use every time you goto any doctor to treat your injury
If you dont spend the whole amount for every year until age 75 they will return the amount not used for that year
lisent to others opinions

Medicare set asides are for people on medicare or expected to be on it within 3 years. That is not my situation.

(03-23-2018, 02:45 PM)1171 Wrote:

the carrier has the right to your medical records/medical history.

Does the carrier have the right to get any of my settlement money?

they can file liens before a buyout settlement but not afterwards.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(03-23-2018, 03:34 PM)1171 Wrote: they can file liens before a buyout settlement but not afterwards.

Thank you so much!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Settlement redsoxfan 8 652 08-28-2020, 09:36 PM
Last Post: 1171
  maryland-settlement and WCMSA lifetime tammy68 4 1,862 05-06-2020, 06:40 PM
  Settlement for PPD and Medical Costs Engineer20 3 1,931 04-19-2020, 12:08 PM
  MSA / structure settlement, California Flipping fran 20 2,223 04-06-2020, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Flipping fran
  Should I Accept The First Medical Settlement Offer? Kentucky Ranger 1 706 03-14-2020, 08:59 PM
  How much of my settlement does my attorney get to keep????? chubbygodofthunder 1 619 02-25-2020, 09:20 PM
  Settlement question in Georgia Jmrbutlerbey 7 1,284 02-15-2020, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Jmrbutlerbey
  Unsure in Settlement Amount in CA shell0755 4 1,010 02-11-2020, 03:16 PM
  Settlement Questions- Michigan chubbygodofthunder 11 2,192 02-05-2020, 11:05 PM
Last Post: chubbygodofthunder
  CA Lower Back Injury Settlement back2036 3 1,130 10-26-2019, 07:26 PM