Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurt back at work.I feel I should get a better deal than what my lawyer is saying
I hurt my back at work in January of 2106.The lawyer I hired has been working on my case, and the insurance company for my job has determined that my injuries amount to eleven thousand, sixty eight dollars. They also are giving my lawyers an additional seven thousand dollars to help pay my medical bills. So a total of about 18 thousand dollars. My lawyer said that a certain amount of that money has to go to the medical facilities where I received treatment. I received treatment at about 4 or 5 facilities. My lawyer says he is going to negotiate down what percentages of the medical bills they will pay. After that, my lawyer will take 20 percent of whatever is left. Then I get whatever is left from that. I feel like I should be able to get a better deal than this. What are you guys thoughts?

If you think you'll be needing more medical on your back, I would see about settling with open medical.  This way, you get money, but the insurance carrier continues to pay those bills.  I'm surprised they are talking about a settlement right now..   I have a lower back injury that happened in 2012..
I'm waiting to hear about this for me.  I just had a IME and waiting to hear what the Carrier is planning to do.. I also told my lawyer I want open medical..

I think the reason why they are talking about a settlement is because my doctor released me from care. He did so because I wasn't in any more pain.

You are not an expert in figuring comp benefits so you can't trust your feelings.
We know little about your case or what state benefits are available so can't offer a realistic opinion.
If you want higher settlement you need evidence of greater disability and/or greater need for medical treatment.
Atty fees are set by comp court if you disagree with yours then you can file an objection with the court.
You also can get another atty to negotiate for you. Most states will have the attys share a single fee.
You can also go to a hearing where a judge will look at the medical  evidence and decide on the disability and the medical fees for your treatment.

In Illinois you need disability rating, show loss of the earnings, or loss of future earnings ability.
If you can return to work in a similar capacity, you're not going to be able to document a better settlement.
Here,s what the court looks at:
https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/iwcc/Doc...erText.doc
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(10-07-2017, 08:00 PM)1171 Wrote: what state benefits are available so can't offer a realistic opinion.
In Illinois you need disability rating, show loss of the earnings, or loss of future earnings ability.

Here,s what the court looks at:
https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/iwcc/Doc...erText.doc

I'm in Illinois. I spoke to an attorney today who said that I can just tell my lawyer that I don't want my bills paid, I just want them to remain outstanding,I just want the money. Is that true?

If that atty thinks he can get the court to approve " stiffing" your docs, you should think about switching.
I know nothing about the issues in your claim and don't how realistic that option is.
Have him put it in writing...
Most courts are required to address all the medical liens on file. They generally withhold that part of the settlement until They are negotiated but its very case dependent.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which doctor can send me back to work-Kansas no1nurse2 4 2,567 11-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Back at work but now issued P& S with perm. Restrictions Worriedgirl 52 19,769 05-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Mover claims he hurt his back while moving. harrou86 4 2,153 01-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Exclamation Feel like I do not have any hope/depression 052614 42 28,659 06-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
Wink Back injury from work 2011 now having nerve damage Rebecca 8 15,000 04-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Help hurt at work rapplizard66 2 2,103 10-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Last Post: dusty boy
  Help hurt at work rapplizard66 0 1,518 10-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Last Post: rapplizard66
Sad Scared to go back to work and will I find something lonelylib81 3 5,856 04-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  Back to Work darrinb 4 4,422 12-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Last Post: darrinb
  Dr said I can go back to work Speedyro1970 4 5,463 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM