Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drug Testing and Civil Rights
I still recommend talking directly to your doctor and not his staff about why he wants the test. There has to be a reason OR his staff is incompetent? I think having open line of communication with your doctor is best. Those of us on this site can only guess to the reason.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

I'm in NY and do the random drug tests with Pain Management too... What I was told is sometimes, if you end up in the ER or even Urgent Care and they give you something for pain, there is always a chance that your PM doctor or office isn't told. When I was going to a new PM office, they asked for a drug test... I told them I haven't been on any type of pain medication in months and the only thing they would find is my Ambien.. and that's all they found.

(06-24-2017, 04:35 PM)California_Help Wrote: I still recommend talking directly to your doctor and not his staff about why he wants the test. There has to be a reason OR his staff is incompetent? I think having open line of communication with your doctor is best. Those of us on this site can only guess to the reason.

Have an attorney visit coming up soon over this . Some one I know signed the same " agreement " and are being drug tested with no controlled substances prescribed either.

They can adopt a drug testing policy if they want . After all the patient signed it .

Whats Shady is there is no cancellation or opt out method. It says the agreement permits the doctor named below ..there is no name below on the agreement.

The agreement states you have the authority to enter in to the agreement .. I said " I opt out , where is the opt out clause. " They say you must be drug tested.

The reason for testing is outlined in the agreement .. unfortunately there is no need for the agreement as the specific language doesn't apply to the treatment. Which is just a big UR denial .

It's all BS ...Wake up injured workers. Cant make this stuff up.

Now they say ( in the report ) to get with my lawyer a find a new PTP. I never terminated the relationship.

So off to the lawyer I go .. I say I cannot access care because of forced drug testing . Lol ! I revoke the agreement .. They should sent a termination letter .

As a practice manager, contracts and UDT are standards of care and practice for those providers in the Pain Management field. I have seen many a patient discharged or put on a 30-60 non-compliance plan for refusing a drug screen, or not having the drug on board or having another drug on board that was not prescribed. Ultimately if your under the care of physician and you are taking opioids, benzo's and or hypnotic the physician is liable if you have a negative outcome.

In California we now have private practices that have been doing Workers Compensation for decades having to implement the pain management contracts and UDT in office for all their patients that are on opioid based pain medications. For those practices it was mandated by their malpractice insurance carriers due to the opioid abuse epidemic and all the deaths. These practices have hundreds of patients on opioids, benzo's and hypnotics, now the challenge is how to get them all cleaned up and off the drugs.

(06-24-2017, 08:38 PM)tbear6410 Wrote: I'm in NY and do the random drug tests with Pain Management too...   What I was told is sometimes, if you end up in the ER or even Urgent Care and they give you something for pain, there is always a chance that your PM doctor or office isn't told.  When I was going to a new PM office, they asked for a drug test... I told them I haven't been on any type of pain medication in months and the only thing they would find is my Ambien.. and that's all they found.

In CA they have CURES, its a database run by DOJ that tells me where the patient has been filling prescriptions, type, quantity and provider. You check it every month or every time prior to seeing the patient. This is also smart practice and woe to the practitioner that does not check this every time as the patients will burn you when you least expect it.

(06-27-2017, 07:29 PM)tascaso Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 08:38 PM)tbear6410 Wrote: I'm in NY and do the random drug tests with Pain Management too...   What I was told is sometimes, if you end up in the ER or even Urgent Care and they give you something for pain, there is always a chance that your PM doctor or office isn't told.  When I was going to a new PM office, they asked for a drug test... I told them I haven't been on any type of pain medication in months and the only thing they would find is my Ambien.. and that's all they found.

In CA they have CURES, its a database run by DOJ that tells me where the patient has been filling prescriptions, type, quantity and provider. You check it every month or every time prior to seeing the patient. This is also smart practice and woe to the practitioner that does not check this every time as the patients will burn you when you least expect it.

tascasco, I think this injured workers frustrations are he is not being prescribed ANY medications and they STILL want him to submit to drug tests. Is this appropriate?
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(06-29-2017, 05:23 PM)California_Help Wrote:

tascasco, I think this injured workers frustrations are he is not being prescribed ANY medications and they STILL want him to submit to drug tests. Is this appropriate?
Thanks California Help . Thats exactly the problem . The agreement signed does not apply to the treatment received.

(06-30-2017, 02:03 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Thanks California Help . Thats exactly the problem . The agreement signed does not apply to the treatment received.

Shadow I completely understand your concerns, however it sounds like your doctors office may drop you if you do not submit to the tests (not sure you care). If it was a doctor I liked I would probably just do the test but talk to him about it and say hey, I just took your urine test but I do not think it is appropriate as I am not prescribed any medications. Is this something that I will have to continue? I think any reasonable doctor would tell his staff to exclude you with further testing. Again, I have seen this before a few times and it was only due to incompetent staff.

(06-30-2017, 10:08 PM)California_Help Wrote:

Shadow I completely understand your concerns, however it sounds like your doctors office may drop you if you do not submit to the tests (not sure you care). If it was a doctor I liked I would probably just do the test but talk to him about it and say hey, I just took your urine test but I do not think it is appropriate as I am not prescribed any medications. Is this something that I will have to continue? I think any reasonable doctor would tell his staff to exclude you with further testing. Again, I have seen this before a few times and it was only due to incompetent staff.
Spoke with AA today ..asked to be transferred back to my Ortho ..AA is putting in request. 

Think about this : when a new patient arrives at the Pain Management office they sign the " agreement" then see a doctor . They waive their individual rights before it is even determined if they need a controlled substance. 

The agreement is for both parties cooperation ..the problem is they don't do what they say in the contract and expect the IW to be bound by its terms.

I don't care if they drop me as a patient ..( drug test or else policy = possible civil rights issue ) I went for help couldn't get help ... They lied. I feel completely misled to transfer my care to these idiots. Pretty sure they dont like me very much any way Smile Whatever !! People don't like to be corrected. I am tired of being treated like I am just some dumb IW.

It's a complicated issue ..basically they are wrong based on their own agreement ..Lawyer agrees.

I have ran in to a weird situation ..personally I think they want the test regardless .What a crazy office policy.

Maybe I am the only one to scream over it ..which party I have for all Injured Workers there. We have rights !! This is BS !!

I don't count this as a part of the 3 doctor selection from the MPN list .. This one doesn't count ..breach of agreement ...LOL.

Thanks for taking the tine California Help.

(07-01-2017, 01:58 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(06-30-2017, 10:08 PM)California_Help Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 07:29 PM)tascaso Wrote: In CA they have CURES, its a database run by DOJ that tells me where the patient has been filling prescriptions, type, quantity and provider. You check it every month or every time prior to seeing the patient. This is also smart practice and woe to the practitioner that does not check this every time as the patients will burn you when you least expect it.

Spoke with AA today ..asked to be transferred back to my Ortho ..AA is putting in request. 

Think about this : when a new patient arrives at the Pain Management office they sign the " agreement" then see a doctor . They waive their individual rights before it is even determined if they need a controlled substance. 

The agreement is for both parties cooperation ..the problem is they don't do what they say in the contract and expect the IW to be bound by its terms.

I don't care if they drop me as a patient ..( drug test or else policy = possible civil rights issue )  I went for help couldn't get help ... They lied. I feel completely misled to transfer my care to these idiots. Pretty sure they dont like me very much any way Smile Whatever !! People don't like to be corrected. I am tired of being treated like I am just some dumb IW.

It's a complicated issue ..basically they are wrong based on their own agreement ..Lawyer agrees.

I have ran in to a weird situation ..personally I think they want the test regardless .What a crazy office policy.

Maybe I am the only one to scream over it ..which party I have for all Injured Workers there. We have rights !! This is BS !!

I don't count this as a part of the  3 doctor selection from the  MPN list .. This one doesn't count ..breach of agreement ...LOL.

Thanks for taking the tine California Help.

You can switch PTP more than 3 times. I have never seen an IW held to that, but check with your attorney.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ca Drug Formulary Shadow 9 2,243 09-29-2019, 08:15 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Sell my medical rights or keep lifetime care? 138 13 6,310 03-12-2019, 05:19 AM
Last Post: Jerry_Rivera
  NY WORK COMP BOARD EXPANDING DRUG FORMULARY.... 1171 0 582 10-24-2018, 02:10 PM
  In Ohio, injured 2 weeks ago but didn't see doctor. Can I still be drug tested? avog 1 2,428 12-08-2014, 12:23 PM
  Waddell Testing flawed from KY stumpmtsr 3 2,000 09-14-2013, 12:41 AM
  Rights to settlement? Tigertaurus 5 5,635 08-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Tigertaurus
  Employer aware of civil suit ammowoman 3 3,104 08-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Last Post: lizdawiz82
  Benefits and legal rights confusion Phoenix 2 3,673 08-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Phoenix
  NY Civil Service Law 71 Leave of Absence Bayan1905 7 12,998 06-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Bayan1905
  Drug interactions and side effects chrischris 0 2,255 05-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Last Post: chrischris