Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mmi releasing me with no restrictions. MRI shows ruptured disk 3 weeks ago
Hi I injured my back in Feb, by lifting and throwing about 70 lb parts. I had a very bad pulled muscle in my back that was a big know. I was still in pain so she sent me for an MRI after 4 mo. MRI showed scoliosis and a ruptured disk with minimal cord in the area of my pain. I felt the pop when the injury happened. So they send me 2 hrs away for mmi. He tells me it was medical malpractice that she sent me for an MRI and never did xrays. And that my bulging disc in now in my head since I know I have it. Um what? That is why my back still hurt after 4 mo. He said I need to go back to work, but not at my old job because it's too demanding physicaly. And I could go get a job at subway. I was making $18 an hr at my job and could run circles around people half my age. Yes very hard heavy back breaking work, but I was good at it. So released me with no restrictions. Is this right? I'm very much not understanding what just happened

(06-20-2017, 01:04 PM)stangbill Wrote: Hi I injured my back in Feb, by lifting and throwing about 70 lb parts. I had a very bad pulled muscle in my back that was a big know.  I was still in pain so she sent me for an MRI after 4 mo. MRI showed scoliosis and a ruptured disk with minimal cord in the area of my pain. I felt the pop when the injury happened. So they send me 2 hrs away for mmi. He tells me it was medical malpractice that she sent me for an MRI and never did xrays. And that my bulging disc in now in my head since I know I have it. Um what? That is why my back still hurt after 4 mo. He said I need to go back to work, but not at my old job because it's  too  demanding physicaly. And I could go get a job at subway. I was making $18 an hr  at my job and could run circles around people half my age. Yes very hard heavy back breaking work, but I was good at it. So released me with no restrictions.  Is this right? I'm very much not understanding what just happened

Every state has different work comp laws so without knowing your state it will be difficult to answer.

There are studies that have shown it is not good to do scans as first line of testing as many adults have herniation's without any pain. For a doctor to make a person worry and think it is serious some physicians believe it places the wrong message in the patients mind. I am not a doctor so I have no opinion on this.

Do you have pain or numbness going down your legs (I am assuming this is a lower back injury)?

If you have a ruptured disc it usually does not get better doing a very physical job. Some people recover and can do very physical jobs, but if your doctor believes it will make you worse, I would not continue.

Again, it will be difficult to answer your question without knowing state you are in. Most workers compensation attorney's give consults for free and take a portion if there is a settlement. Try googling a workers compensation attorney in your state.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(06-20-2017, 01:04 PM)stangbill Wrote: Hi I injured my back in Feb, by lifting and throwing about 70 lb parts. I had a very bad pulled muscle in my back that was a big know.  I was still in pain so she sent me for an MRI after 4 mo. MRI showed scoliosis and a ruptured disk with minimal cord in the area of my pain. I felt the pop when the injury happened. So they send me 2 hrs away for mmi. He tells me it was medical malpractice that she sent me for an MRI and never did xrays. And that my bulging disc in now in my head since I know I have it. Um what? That is why my back still hurt after 4 mo. He said I need to go back to work, but not at my old job because it's  too  demanding physicaly. And I could go get a job at subway. I was making $18 an hr  at my job and could run circles around people half my age. Yes very hard heavy back breaking work, but I was good at it. So released me with no restrictions.  Is this right? I'm very much not understanding what just happened

In most states you can get a second opinion and appeal any denial of benefits.
If you are MMI and can't do regular job, you are probably entitled to permanent partial disability although 4 months is pretty short to have exhausted all treatment options.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I'm in ohio. It just spent make sense to me that as soon as they find out I have a bulging disc they release me with no ristrictions. No treatment or anything. So now I'm cut off of my weekly wc pay and cant go back to my $18 an hr job

Actually my t7 t8 is what is ruptured from throwing 60-70 pound parts while twisting. Pain through middle back and shoulder blades . Had a bad pulled muscle, but pain never went away so she sent me for an mri. I'm 46 female

Contact the ombudsman for options in your specific situation
https://www.bwc.ohio.gov/downloads/blankpdf/Ombuds.pdf

Your treatment doesn't end and MMI
https://www.bwc.ohio.gov/downloads/blankpdf/maximp.pdf
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

You can also try contacting a civil labor law attorney if your employer would not accommodate you. Your condition and employer situation may or may not fall under state and federal ADA laws. Most attorney's give free consults.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  M.A. IME in a few weeks spoe.eops 0 155 09-28-2019, 05:44 PM
Last Post: spoe.eops
  104 weeks ttd Lostandconfused 4 804 09-22-2018, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Lostandconfused
  Pay went down From $446. To $211. After 12 weeks stangbill 3 1,488 06-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Last Post: 1171
  MRI says normal but its a lie, xray shows not normal racer17 2 1,759 06-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
  Lumbar strain with disk protrusion at 3 levels beesgonz 10 6,023 06-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Cycler
  Will I lose my job after being out on leave for longer than 12 weeks? cainjuredworker 3 3,119 02-04-2016, 12:30 AM
  Can you Leave the Country for 2 Weeks when You Are on W/C mike985 4 6,915 12-17-2015, 06:37 PM
Last Post: rolandlaw
  Florida 104 weeks Martymarr2009 1 1,583 10-27-2015, 06:05 PM
  florida 104 weeks maxzillia 1 2,320 06-22-2015, 11:07 AM
  Where's my check? 6 weeks post surgery!! Osok 2 3,480 05-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Osok