Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ga w/c
need some help This is all new to me, a little over a month now i suffered a fall and have now found out that i will be needing surgery but dont know who will be doing it or what kind because the first ortho doctor stated he was not touching me that its was out of his scope after the MRI results came in. The MRI stated this.
c3-4 right posterolateral disc herniation and spondylosis makedly encroach upon the medial aspect of the right foramen and abut the right vental aspect of the cord.
c5-6 bulging of the disc and spondylosis abut the ventral surface of the cord and result in marked bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
c6-7 moderate disc narrowing is observed with adjacent endplate reaction left posterolateral disc protusion and spondylosis abut the left aspect of the cord and result in marked left neural foraminal encroachment moderate right neural foraminal narrowing os observed secondary to spondylosis.
c7-t1 moderate bilateral arthropathy is observed with mild foraminal narrowing, left greater than right. will this keep me from working as a medic again. think i will be getting a lvl2 or 3 fusion. have a attorney that is been great.

Too early.
No one can predict the success of a difficult complex surgery for every patient;
Everyone's recovery is different.
I don't know enough about the specific job specs/requirements.
If you are assuming yours will be a success, you'd better get a second opinion
From a doctor who will be willing to discuss the risks realistically and offer alternatives.
A month of conservative care seems a bit short before choosing to jump into a possible life changing situation.

Who's making the surgical decision --you or the doctor?
It's easier to be optimistic if the consequences fall on someone else.
Maybe you ought pay more attention to why the first doc got scared off the surgery.....
You certainly should be looking at alternatives this early in the injury.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I just had surgery on my neck in December 2017... 2 rods and 12 screws.... C3- C6 down to T2 & T3.. As 1171 said, it's hard to say on success or not.. I would find a good Neck and Spine surgeon and him/her go over everything and see if they say different.
The MRI I had didn't show all the problems.... the CT Scan did... because of this, my surgeon had to do the surgery on the back of my neck.. not go in through the front. I am told it can take "UP" to a year for the fusion to take place. If it doesn't, then I go for a second surgery..
If and When you look for a surgeon, see if they have reviews... You don't want someone not qualified...

Good Luck

(05-19-2017, 03:18 PM)Gamedic2005 Wrote: need some help This is all new to me, a little over a month now i suffered a fall and have now found out that i will be needing surgery but dont know who will be doing it or what kind because the first ortho doctor stated he was not touching me that its was out of his scope after the MRI results came in. The MRI stated this.
c3-4 right posterolateral disc herniation and spondylosis makedly encroach upon the medial aspect of the right foramen and abut the right vental aspect of the cord.
c5-6 bulging of the disc and spondylosis abut the ventral surface of the cord and result in marked bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
c6-7 moderate disc narrowing is observed with adjacent endplate reaction left posterolateral disc protusion and spondylosis abut the left aspect of the cord and result in marked left neural foraminal encroachment moderate right neural foraminal narrowing os observed secondary to spondylosis.
c7-t1 moderate bilateral arthropathy is observed with mild foraminal narrowing, left greater than right. will this keep me from working as a medic again. think i will be getting a lvl2 or 3 fusion. have a attorney that is been great.

You need to get several opinions before agreeing to ANY spine surgery. You do not know what type of surgery is needed or who will be doing it? Find out who the surgeon is, their background and get at least two other opinions before agreeing to any surgery. Spine surgery is risky, there are many different types and surgeons are not all equal when it comes to skillset. Good luck to you.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Thanks, the first ortho Doctor stated he would not due it because he had not done one in a very long time, as for the job it calls for a very large amout of heavy lifting and alot of other things that i need a lot of mobility in my neck. they have went to the surgey because he stated that its the only way to fix the problems in my neck that everything else would just delay the problem.
(05-19-2017, 03:51 PM)1171 Wrote: Too early.
No one can predict the success of a difficult complex surgery for every patient;
Everyone's recovery is different.
I don't know enough about the specific job specs/requirements.
If you are assuming yours will be a success, you'd better get a second opinion
From a doctor who will be willing to discuss the risks realistically and offer alternatives.
A month of conservative care seems a bit short before choosing to jump into a possible life changing situation.

Who's making the surgical decision --you or the doctor?
It's easier to be optimistic if the consequences fall on someone else.
Maybe you ought pay more attention to why the first doc got scared off the surgery.....
You certainly should be looking at alternatives this early in the injury.

There is no "undo" button for surgery.
Be convinced there are no viable alternatives.
Permanent work restrictions will be given by the doctor once you have reached maximum improvement.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Read up on the surgery, when you find out what it is. I have never seen a person with a neck fusion for example go back to a heavy lifting physical job. This does not mean it does not happen, but from what I have seen not often to never. Sometimes after a surgery you have to be even more careful or you can get a worse reinjure.

For the cervical spine I would recommend a neurosurgeon who is a spine surgeon not brain surgeon, and get a few opinions.

Spine surgery should be a last resort.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.