Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settlement Help Needed
Two years ago I was injured on a job site, fell and hurt my back. Long story short ended up with a torn disc completely ruptured L5 S1 area. After two years and two opinions as well as IME appointments. We finally ended up having a fusion in the L5 S1 area. They are now offering to settle. I have already spoken to my attorney but was brainstorming on what a reasonable amount to settle with. Im not completely sure on where to even start with a number. Im really just needing some ideas of where i should start.

Each state has different laws and different benefits; there are 50 different answers.
Many states allow you to choose fixed duration disability payments and future treatment for the injury or negotiate a buyout of those benefits.
The first step might be to learn what what your future benefits might be worth to you before deciding to accept the carrier/employer offer.
Your atty should be guiding you during the negotiations.
Each state has a web site detailing the benefits.
If the parties can't agree, they can take their evidence to the court which will award the disability benefits and future treatment.
A lump sum buyout can,t be ordered and must be negotiated.
I can only provide general information without knowing your state.
Settlement value is a complex calculation and a precise one can,t be given on a message board.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

you're welcome. glad this helped.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

i responded to your PM.
the only other finalization option is to take a dispute over the extent of permanent disability to the comp court.
they can award the disability. the medical benefits will remain with the carrier/employer.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IC attempting to force settlement but surgery needed Encbustedbackrn 4 4,950 10-07-2014, 03:58 AM
Last Post: Encbustedbackrn
  Advice Needed! Ex-husband took my settlement money! clk2426 1 2,743 05-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Last Post: 1171