Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claims Manager Accessed All Medical Records?
So I just got a copy of my entire file (still injured) and my claims manager pulled all my medical records with a note on the cover letter that read "no signature required HIPPA does not apply"

Really??? That's TERRIFYING my employer now knows every detail about my entire medical history.

There may be some state laws on confidentiality that may apply. But hippa excludes much of a workers medical information especially that which may be related to work restrictions and limitations.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(02-07-2017, 11:18 PM)1171 Wrote: There may be some state laws on confidentiality that may apply. But hippa excludes much of a workers medical information especially that which may be related to work restrictions and limitations.

I see the attempt to get related records as in my state I have to sign off that i give up hippa for related, but only one known provider responded, or, they didn't...there are several key records missing, or doctors replying with vague letters. Makes sense.

What state are you in? In California the employer is not allowed to have access to employees medical records. The adjuster can but not employer, it is my understanding. 1171 What is your opinion on this? On another site a defense attorney stated he keeps employees medical records away from employer (California) and why I thought they were not allowed.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Confidentiality of medical infotmation rules in California limit disclosure to those employer reps that need to know in order to structure and provide a modified work situation. Other med information is restricted. The law does not distinguish between self-insured employers and those with policies. It's difficult to keep the policy holder (employer) from information needed to provide required benefits.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

OK thank you.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Terminated for cause and human resource falsify records Lostandconfused 8 1,981 11-20-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Lostandconfused
  Insurance Case Manager duaney1234 3 1,941 06-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Last Post: duaney1234
  Nurse case manager jdx4 24 31,908 03-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  No Medical Records for IME John no Dough 1 2,495 08-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Medical records not sent to AME....Help in CA IIGEMINI 8 8,650 04-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Last Post: 1171
  CA-California. IMR: Claims Administrator not sending medical files SickOfTheProcess 6 7,659 02-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Medical Records chrischris 0 2,098 10-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Last Post: chrischris
  Just assigned a Nurse Case Manager...what do I need to know? cherokeegal 21 19,327 08-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Last Post: hurt back
  First visit with Nurse Case Manager hurt back 22 22,805 07-29-2012, 05:07 PM
  Meeting with nurse case manager hurt back 20 24,279 07-10-2012, 06:00 PM