Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado, Hand Injury, Disfigurement
My 18-yr-old son suffered a crush injury of his left hand in a hydraulic press while at work in a sheet metal shop. He amputated the tips of his index, middle, and ring fingers --all above the first knuckle -- and popped off half of his thumb that the surgeon was able to reattach. We are extremely grateful for how well he has healed!  The Op Med doc has declared he has no permanent partial disability.  However, we don't want him to be shorted (pardon the inadvertent pun) on disfigurement. He has two fingers that are 1 cm shorter than the other hand, 1 finger is .5 cm shorter, and his thumb is actually .5 cm longer. Obviously he has scarring and the nails, while growing back, are gnarled and do not look like his other hand.
We have spoken to a couple of attorneys who won't look at his case, so I'm wondering where we can find guidelines as to what is fair, what the judges in CO have awarded in similar cases in the past?
Also, in CO, there is a statutory limit for disfigurement. Would that be per finger, or would that possibly multiply since 4 of the fingers on his left hand are involved?
Any thoughts or information would be great! Thanks for your help!

Of course your son has permanent partial disability. Grip loss & loss of motion in addition to the amputations.
https://www.colorado.gov/cdle/node/19931
Your son needs a  physician familiar with ratings. He should request a second opinion from such a doctor.
He can contact the work comp board
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdle/di...-exam-dime
He can discuss the rating schedule and guidelines with the Doctor. Ratings can be complicated without guidance.
There are too many variables involved in ratings to be based on some else,s injury. Amounts and benefits change regularly and prior amounts would not likely be relevant to your sons case.
Thanks for your post.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

You're welcome.
Glad that information was helpful. Come back again if you have more questions.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CRPS Colorado Work Comp Healingrose81 0 67 10-23-2021, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Healingrose81
  Don't want hand surgery coyfish727@gmail.com 2 3,787 04-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Lost Index finger on right hand melglad 6 11,624 10-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  Hand Injury Involving Middle Finger Tendon Razortceps 1 10,264 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Last Post: 1171
  rt hand contusion cshurelds 4 7,393 06-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Last Post: socal
  numbness in hand boilerman 1 4,124 03-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Last Post: 1171
Sad Cut my hand on the job, can I get WC? notsurewhattodo 6 19,610 03-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Last Post: notsurewhattodo
  hand rated and more aggrevation crimsonmedic 2 5,680 08-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
Exclamation Please Help! Need Computerized Functional Capacity Test in Denver, Colorado lefty 14 15,391 07-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Question Colorado. Here I Am Doing Maintenance lefty 1 2,844 06-30-2010, 06:36 PM