Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Some questions about WC and quitting

I injured my lower back severely to a point where I couldn't walk for a week. I then returned to work on modified duty but with restrictions. After a month of that, I returned to work full time. Two weeks passed and injured myself again. Same area. Not as bad but enough where the pain was enough to keep me from actually walking straight.

The doctor had told me I strained a muscle and pinched a nerve. But doesn't see any surgery. He highly recommends me moving to another position or stop what I am doing or I can permanently damage it. I have still yet to recovered as I still get pain on the lower left side and down my leg. I truly believe because I haven't got the rest I need. I'm constantly on my feet, moving and when I sit, I get pain.

I'm still on modified duty with restrictions and it's been 4 months already. I had talked to an adjuster which interviewed me about the incident. I received a paper in the mail saying I must make an appointment with an QME. But I have a question. 

I'm looking to leave my job. I don't care about money or claims, I need time to recover. My health is a priority. I thought about going on medical leave or an leave of absence but the truth I know I can't do this heavy duty work anymore. I plan on leaving by the end of the month, my question is, do I still need to follow up with an QME or WC if I decide to leave my position and start fresh?
you can't predict your future medical condition. you may need more serious treatment in 6 months or a year. or it may affect yoiur ability to get another job.
however, you are not required to accept comp benefits. you can walk away at any time.
if you do have future problems, your ability to claim comp benefits from the injuries may have expired.
talk to your adjuster about your options. whatever you do or they agree to get it in writing.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
After 30 days you can change doctors in the work comp system to another doctor within the work comp MPN. If you are still at the industrial clinic your claims adjuster originally sent you to (like US Healthworks), this may be the problem (unknown). Have you talked to your work comp doctor about your injury and feeling that you need time to recover? Work comp has wage replacement in TTD payments (up to 2 years) that you may not be able to get if you quit and will not be able to get if you walk away from your claim. If you are in too much pain to work make sure you are conveying this to your doctor. In my opinion it is better to try and work but if it is causing further injury or preventing you to getting better it may benefit you to discuss being taken off of work for a while and placed on TTD. If you are at an insurance friendly clinic, they may not do it.

I recommend going down to the work comp board where your case is located at if you are interested in changing doctors and ask an information and assistance officer for assistance.

You need to turn in the QME form timely or your claims adjuster will be able to pick the doctor. I recommend picking a chiropractor specialty for your QME as they are usually more honest, but up to you. After you turn that in you will receive a list of 3 to pick from. If you do not send it in timely your adjuster gets to pick the doctor. What you may not be aware of there are insurance/employer friendly doctors out there so google the doctors and check their reviews before picking a doctor.

This is a good link to review about the QME system, how to change doctors and also TTD payments.

I also recommend modifying your post and delete the first two sentences and just write "I injured my back from work". This is to protect your identity on the internet and no need to write your exact date of injury, workplace etc that can be used to identify you. You can click the top box and modify your post any time.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  employer harassed me into quitting pssalazar 11 14,530 03-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Last Post: pssalazar
  quitting, still covered? paintballpunk 3 3,497 03-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Last Post: paintballpunk

Forum Jump:

Browsing: 1 Guest(s)