Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Care Transfer
Hello Folks .

California Claim.

Do any of you know if there are any regulations for the transfer of care ..For example an Ortho  to a Pain Managemnet doctor .

Ortho wants IW to consult with Pain doctor and transfer care .. IW really doesnt want to transfer care but will keep the appointment as a courtesy. Does the IW need to sign an acknowledgement or something ? 

Thanks

Shadow

a doctor is not required to keep a patient when they can no longer provide treatment within their expertise.
you can change doctors to another orthopedist.
there is little to be gained from staying with a physician that no longer wishes to treat you.
there is no form or acknowledgement necessary.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(11-25-2016, 07:49 PM)1171 Wrote: a doctor is not  required to keep a patient when they can no longer provide treatment  within their expertise.
there is little to gained from staying with physician that no longer wishes to treat you.

I'll just request the doctor to be the moving party in severing the Doctor patient relationship. Not sure what the doctor wishes to do ? I was under the impression there can be more than one treater in comp. One a primary the other a secondary . A multidisciplinary approach .

Actually there are procedures to avoid abandonment claims. 

All too often when a doctor has squeezed all the money out of a claim he / she kicks the can down the road .. Happens often in comp . Transfer his/ her mess to some one else .. Not my words , the words of a comp lawyer I spoke to some time back

I was just wondering if there is any regulations in the " Comp World " ?

There can be a primary and secondaries, but it,s the doctor's option.
If there are such procedures that  apply, by all means make use of them. I fail to see an abandonment issue when you have other choices.
Yes, doctors cut patients loose all the time, as there is no requirement to keep them in situations like yours.

There might be something here
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/medicalunit/toc.pdf
Or here
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/MPN/DWC_MPN_Main.html
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(11-25-2016, 10:54 PM)1171 Wrote: There can be a primary and secondaries, but it,s the doctor's option.
If there are such procedures that  apply, by all means make use of them. I fail to see an abandonment issue when you have other choices.
Yes, doctors cut patients loose all the time, as there is no requirement to keep them in situations like yours.

Or here

You're right and thanks for taking the time to post .. The other choices are with a doctor I have never met and may not even chose to treat with.

At the end of the day 95 % of treatment request are denied through UR and IMR anyway . A new doctor with an old problem.  Patients don't benefit , the billing department does.

I pray for federal intervention in California's workers comp system.

(11-25-2016, 10:54 PM)1171 Wrote: There can be a primary and secondaries, but it,s the doctor's option.

Or here

You're right and thanks for taking the time to post .. The other choices are with a doctor I have never met and may not even chose to treat with.

At the end of the day 95 % of treatment request are denied through UR and IMR anyway . A new doctor with an old problem.  Patients don't benefit , the billing department does.

I pray for federal intervention in California's workers comp system.

Maybe st. Jude can help with those prayers.
Sometimes change is good. The unknown is just that...neither bad nor good.
Stay positive; attitude is the one thing you can control.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(11-25-2016, 08:29 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-25-2016, 07:49 PM)1171 Wrote: a doctor is not  required to keep a patient when they can no longer provide treatment  within their expertise.
there is little to gained from staying with physician that no longer wishes to treat you.

I'll just request the doctor to be the moving party in severing the Doctor patient relationship. Not sure what the doctor wishes to do ? I was under the impression there can be more than one treater in comp. One a primary the other a secondary . A multidisciplinary approach .

Actually there are procedures to avoid abandonment claims. 

All too often when a doctor has squeezed all the money out of a claim he / she kicks the can down the road .. Happens often in comp . Transfer his/ her mess to some one else .. Not my words , the words of a comp lawyer I spoke to some time back

I was just wondering if there is any regulations in the " Comp World " ?

If you do not need surgery orthopedic doctors usually transfer care to pain management. If you were being seen by an orthopedic surgeon with your private insurance you would see similar treatment in fact most orthopedic surgeons seen by private insurance do not see patients unless they need a surgery or consult and once that is done the need to see them stops. I have only seen patients return to see the same ortho surgeon regularly/every 6 weeks in the work comp arena.

You can have more than one doctor but only if there is a medical need. 

The process can happen a few different ways. It sounds like your doctor has already made the request to transfer your treatment to pain management...is this correct? You have the right to chose the doctor from your MPN as well. I recommend once you have transferred to new doctor to request your claims adjuster send a complete copy of your medical records to the new PTP. Some adjusters do this automatically.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Ca claim

Ok .. just came home from the PM Consultation. The doctor here said I should C and R my case and shift everything in to my private health insurances.

Not sure why the Doc is giving legal advice.

What are your thoughts on that ?

I think you should make sure your private insurance would allow it first.

I also think the CA work comp system is a horrible place to obtain medical treatment, and no guarantees you will get medical treatment requested by your doctor with the UR and IMR system.

Do you have an attorney to discuss this with because no one can give you legal advice other than a lawyer? What you received from your doctor is his opinion and I am sure he has one after dealing with the WC system. What you are getting from this forum is just someone's opinion as well. I think it is a good idea to get completely out of this system with a C&R, however make sure your private insurance will treat these injuries.

There are a lot of people from California posting their problems with receiving medical treatment after they signed a stip and kept their medical open and are continually subjected to UR and IMR denials.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  kept from job transfer jotingey 4 2,810 04-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Last Post: chrischris