Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Released to work! Now What?
(08-28-2016, 04:00 PM)California_Help Wrote:
(08-26-2016, 04:12 PM)Fusion26 Wrote:
(08-26-2016, 03:55 PM)1171 Wrote: So in your mind the restrictions are temporary?
It's the written report that,s the evidence, not what was said or not said during your medical appointment.
Hopefully it supports continuing your TD payments.

No, I definitely feel incapable of performing certain task and expect to have some type of restrictions for the foreseeable future. I was a ware house worker previously which is what resulted in my injury. I could in no way return to the same field of work. I do however feel capable of performing some type of sedentary work. I still deal with some residual pain on a daily basis, but have accepted with this type of injury to be completely pain free is unlikely or even unrealistic. I called the doctors office to confirm and it appears there has been no P&S report so I have yet to be declared MMI. It seems everything may begin to pick up momentum with my claim. I'm sure this is to soon to say or wishful thinking, but I hope to be done with the WC system soon. This whole process has been lengthily and stressful. It's truly trying at times both mentally and physically.

It is very difficult for anyone on a site to answer the question if you will continue to receive TTD checks without reading your records. Your attorney would be the best person to ask. In the mean time I recommend having your primary doctor write you are TTD every time you see him in your reports.

If your TTD stops and you are not able to work you can apply for state disability. It will state you are past the deadline to apply, but for injured workers I have seen them make exceptions many times. You will need your doctor to fill out the EDD form. I recommend to go on the states website and print out a form for your doctor to fill out a month before your TTD 104 weeks is up.

At 6 months post op after a 360 fusion are you fused? I have read it can take a year to 14 months for some to fully recover from this surgery. I do not recommend rushing it. 

It sounds like you were injured after 1/1/2013. If so once you are MMI and your employer cannot take you back you are entitled to two vouchers. The first on is in the amount of 6 grand. I have not checked in a while but I think $1,500 can be used for a computer and $500 can be used for whatever you want. The remaining 4 grand can be used at any state college or other vocational colleges on a list. It can be used towards tuition and books. Once you receive your first voucher you can then go down to the district office of your WCAB and pick up your second voucher which will be a check for $5,000.. This check can be used for whatever you want.

After having such an evasive surgery I recommend going back to school if you are not qualified for sedentary work.

Take care.

Yes I was injured in 2014. So as I understand the first voucher is for schooling.  What is the second voucher for? Also please excuse my ignorance but what is WCAB? Workers compensation association board? Are these vouchers something I apply for? As far as SSDI I did apply for that but my application was denied. As far as being fused I'm not sure. I have asked tthe doctor when we will do imaging to check progress and he said if theres no pain than no reason to check now. He said he usually waits a full year. The workers comp doctor has been great up until recently, now he seems to be short and dismissive. When he makes his dictations he is quick to downplay my symptoms and seems to want to rush things along and make things appear better than they actually are. Anyways I am currently enrolled in college to work towards an associates degree. I just started this semester and it will be awhile before I see a pay off. I am doing distance education for now.

Very young for such a serious injury and aggressive surgery.
You do have better chance for a good recovery.
Most Doctors learn early not to "baby" their patient--otherwise it's hard to get rid of them.
It,s their way of getting you to move on.

You really should take the time to look at the links I posted earlier.
Maybe we're giving you too much.
The WCAB is the court system for work comp in California.
If you're interested There is alo a link to them on the DWC home page under Boards
http://www.dir.ca.gov/wcab/wcab.htm
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(08-28-2016, 05:41 PM)1171 Wrote: Very young for such a serious injury and aggressive surgery.
You do have better chance for a good recovery.
Most Doctors learn early not to "baby" their patient--otherwise it's hard to get rid of them.
It,s their way of getting you to move on.

You really should take the time to look at the links I posted earlier.
Maybe we're giving you too much.
The WCAB is the court system for work comp in California.
If you're interested There is alo a link to them on the DWC home page under Boards
http://www.dir.ca.gov/wcab/wcab.html 
Yeah I know what you mean. I can definitely say I'm overwhelmed, but I'll go back and take a closer look at the links. Thanks again

the last 2 links in my first response were for the vouchers cal help referenced in her post.
comp is a complex system with a lot of rules in order to get someone else to pay for what has become a very expensive
benefit. I'm sure the employer/carrier is well over $300K in your claim already and it's a lifetime benefit...
requires lots of patience to deal with serious health problems.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(08-28-2016, 04:56 PM)Fusion26 Wrote:
(08-26-2016, 03:55 PM)1171 Wrote: So in your mind the restrictions are temporary?
It's the written report that,s the evidence, not what was said or not said during your medical appointment.

No, I definitely feel incapable of performing certain task and expect to have some type of restrictions for the foreseeable future. I was a ware house worker previously which is what resulted in my injury. I could in no way return to the same field of work. I do however feel capable of performing some type of sedentary work. I still deal with some residual pain on a daily basis, but have accepted with this type of injury to be completely pain free is unlikely or even unrealistic. I called the doctors office to confirm and it appears there has been no P&S report so I have yet to be declared MMI. It seems everything may begin to pick up momentum with my claim. I'm sure this is to soon to say or wishful thinking, but I hope to be done with the WC system soon. This whole process has been lengthily and stressful. It's truly trying at times both mentally and physically.

It is very difficult for anyone on a site to answer the question if you will continue to receive TTD checks without reading your records. Your attorney would be the best person to ask. In the mean time I recommend having your primary doctor write you are TTD every time you see him in your reports.

If your TTD stops and you are not able to work you can apply for state disability. It will state you are past the deadline to apply, but for injured workers I have seen them make exceptions many times. You will need your doctor to fill out the EDD form. I recommend to go on the states website and print out a form for your doctor to fill out a month before your TTD 104 weeks is up.

At 6 months post op after a 360 fusion are you fused? I have read it can take a year to 14 months for some to fully recover from this surgery. I do not recommend rushing it. 

It sounds like you were injured after 1/1/2013. If so once you are MMI and your employer cannot take you back you are entitled to two vouchers. The first on is in the amount of 6 grand. I have not checked in a while but I think $1,500 can be used for a computer and $500 can be used for whatever you want. The remaining 4 grand can be used at any state college or other vocational colleges on a list. It can be used towards tuition and books. Once you receive your first voucher you can then go down to the district office of your WCAB and pick up your second voucher which will be a check for $5,000.. This check can be used for whatever you want.

After having such an evasive surgery I recommend going back to school if you are not qualified for sedentary work.

Take care.

Yes I was injured in 2014. So as I understand the first voucher is for schooling.  What is the second voucher for? Also please excuse my ignorance but what is WCAB? Workers compensation association board? Are these vouchers something I apply for? As far as SSDI I did apply for that but my application was denied. As far as being fused I'm not sure. I have asked tthe doctor when we will do imaging to check progress and he said if theres no pain than no reason to check now. He said he usually waits a full year. The workers comp doctor has been great up until recently, now he seems to be short and dismissive. When he makes his dictations he is quick to downplay my symptoms and seems to want to rush things along and make things appear better than they actually are. Anyways I am currently enrolled in college to work towards an associates degree. I just started this semester and it will be awhile before I see a pay off. I am doing distance education for now.

The first voucher is for schooling, but as I wrote above some can be used for things like computer and $500. can be used for whatever you want (do not have to send in receipts). I hope you are keeping your receipts for college including books, parking, tuition supplies as you may be able to request reimbursement. I do want you to know there may be a deadline to use the first voucher if two years after you first receive it. I have been told some injured workers send in receipts for reimbursement to their claims adjuster for school if the state school does not accept vouchers. You do need to apply for these vouchers. Do you have an attorney?

The second voucher is listed as a vocational voucher but it is a check that you do not have to account for. Once you receive the first voucher is when you qualify for the second. I am sorry if I am over whelming you as well. You can apply on-line for the second voucher or you can go down to the WCAB (workers compensation appeals board but their district office of where your work comp case is located). To find out where this is closest distict office WCAB to you is to call and information and assistance officer. Let me know if you need a number for that. There is a Koisk at these district offices where you can apply for the check.

If you need more information let me know. 

I also did online distance education. If you need accommodation like  extra time on tests etc due to pain issues you can meet or talk to a disabled student service counselor at your college. There are benefits to being under the disabled student services department at college. You may receive priority registration and also accommodation if you need it (if in class breaks or special chair etc). I am sure you are still in some pain and may be on medications, and also may need breaks and why having extra time for tests is something that may benefit you if you need it. You should be VERY proud of yourself for going to college while healing from a fusion. Online classes can be a lot more work. I recommend starting slow, keeping a calendar when things are due.

Did you appeal your SSDI denial? I recommend doing so and it does not mean you will be on it forever. You will only receive SSDI if you cannot do any job for at least 12 months. I always recommend contacting a SSDI attorney after you are denied to help with the appeal. They get paid only if you receive SSDI and take a portion of back payment owed. I think I responded on another post that you can also apply for state disability with the EDD department if your TTD ends. This may provide one years worth of benefits. 

You may not be fused yet so be careful. While I agree with 1171 that doctors should not baby patients I have also seen and read about doctors who are dismissive to patients once they get surgery because they/doctor received their money from the surgery. This may not be the case with your doctor, but not reporting your current symptoms is something I would just continue to watch. 

I am glad to read you are doing well after such an evasive surgery. Have they started you on physical therapy (it may be too early)?
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(08-29-2016, 02:15 AM)California_Help Wrote:

Take care.

The first voucher is for schooling, but as I wrote above some can be used for things like computer and $500. can be used for whatever you want (do not have to send in receipts). I hope you are keeping your receipts for college including books, parking, tuition supplies as you may be able to request reimbursement. I do want you to know there may be a deadline to use the first voucher if two years after you first receive it. I have been told some injured workers send in receipts for reimbursement to their claims adjuster for school if the state school does not accept vouchers. You do need to apply for these vouchers. Do you have an attorney?

The second voucher is listed as a vocational voucher but it is a check that you do not have to account for. Once you receive the first voucher is when you qualify for the second. I am sorry if I am over whelming you as well. You can apply on-line for the second voucher or you can go down to the WCAB (workers compensation appeals board but their district office of where your work comp case is located). To find out where this is closest distict office WCAB to you is to call and information and assistance officer. Let me know if you need a number for that. There is a Koisk at these district offices where you can apply for the check.

I also did online distance education. If you need accommodation like  extra time on tests etc due to pain issues you can meet or talk to a disabled student service counselor at your college. There are benefits to being under the disabled student services department at college. You may receive priority registration and also accommodation if you need it (if in class breaks or special chair etc). I am sure you are still in some pain and may be on medications, and also may need breaks and why having extra time for tests is something that may benefit you if you need it. You should be VERY proud of yourself for going to college while healing from a fusion. Online classes can be a lot more work. I recommend starting slow, keeping a calendar when things are due.

Did you appeal your SSDI denial? I recommend doing so and it does not mean you will be on it forever. You will only receive SSDI if you cannot do any job for at least 12 months. I always recommend contacting a SSDI attorney after you are denied to help with the appeal. They get paid only if you receive SSDI and take a portion of back payment owed. I think I responded on another post that you can also apply for state disability with the EDD department if your TTD ends. This may provide one years worth of benefits. 

You may not be fused yet so be careful. While I agree with 1171 that doctors should not baby patients I have also seen and read about doctors who are dismissive to patients once they get surgery because they/doctor received their money from the surgery. This may not be the case with your doctor, but not reporting your current symptoms is something I would just continue to watch. 

I am glad to read you are doing well after such an evasive surgery. Have they started you on physical therapy (it may be too early)?

I qualified for Financial Aid for college and have yet to pay anything out of pocket. I'm taking things slow and getting my feet wet with college before I dive in. Currently I'm enrolled in two classes for a total of 6 units. I hope to be able to take more classes so it doesn't take forever to get my degree, but as of now it's hard to get into all my necessary classes due to availability online or classes being full. Priority registration would help immensely to help me get into my classes. I appreciate the kind words in regards to school. College has been a big step for me considering I just recently obtained my G.E.D through self study a few months ago. If it weren't for my injury I may have not pursued furthering my education. So I'm grateful for that. I do have an attorney and am assuming filing for these benefits falls under his job description. I plan to speak with him today to get more information pertaining to my claim. The last I spoke with him he was corresponding with the IC attorney in regards to proceedings. As far as my SSDI I unfortunately did not file an appeal and may be out of the time frame to do so. I will call today to check status on that as well. To my understanding and information given to me by my attorney, filing for SSDI will complicate my claim when it comes time to settle? 

I will be filing for EDD as soon as I'm able. 

I did attempt physical therapy at 5 moths post op. It did not go very well. I was feeling optimistic because I was able to walk long distances and remain fairly active in that regard, but with the stretching, bending and movements associated with PT I immediately flared up. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and tried to work through the pain, but after 8 sessions I called it quits. I was also not happy with the PT office they had me going to. They weren't very hands on and were even negligent in administering treatment before fully reading my chart.

I've tried to be as vocal as possible with my doctor to ensure I'm being treated fairly and adequately. The doctor often makes his notes with a voice recorder while in the room with me. On several occasions I've had to correct his dictations, because they are either contrary to what I said or misinformation. Like I stated overall I've been happy with my doc but continue to grow weary of his dismissiveness. I to agree with what 1171 said about not babying, but to a certain extent.

(08-29-2016, 10:33 AM)Fusion26 Wrote:
(08-26-2016, 04:12 PM)Fusion26 Wrote: No, I definitely feel incapable of performing certain task and expect to have some type of restrictions for the foreseeable future. I was a ware house worker previously which is what resulted in my injury. I could in no way return to the same field of work. I do however feel capable of performing some type of sedentary work. I still deal with some residual pain on a daily basis, but have accepted with this type of injury to be completely pain free is unlikely or even unrealistic. I called the doctors office to confirm and it appears there has been no P&S report so I have yet to be declared MMI. It seems everything may begin to pick up momentum with my claim. I'm sure this is to soon to say or wishful thinking, but I hope to be done with the WC system soon. This whole process has been lengthily and stressful. It's truly trying at times both mentally and physically.

Take care.

I qualified for Financial Aid for college and have yet to pay anything out of pocket. I'm taking things slow and getting my feet wet with college before I dive in. Currently I'm enrolled in two classes for a total of 6 units. I hope to be able to take more classes so it doesn't take forever to get my degree, but as of now it's hard to get into all my necessary classes due to availability online or classes being full. Priority registration would help immensely to help me get into my classes. I appreciate the kind words in regards to school. College has been a big step for me considering I just recently obtained my G.E.D through self study a few months ago. If it weren't for my injury I may have not pursued furthering my education. So I'm grateful for that. I do have an attorney and am assuming filing for these benefits falls under his job description. I plan to speak with him today to get more information pertaining to my claim. The last I spoke with him he was corresponding with the IC attorney in regards to proceedings. As far as my SSDI I unfortunately did not file an appeal and may be out of the time frame to do so. I will call today to check status on that as well. To my understanding and information given to me by my attorney, filing for SSDI will complicate my claim when it comes time to settle? 

I did attempt physical therapy at 5 moths post op. It did not go very well. I was feeling optimistic because I was able to walk long distances and remain fairly active in that regard, but with the stretching, bending and movements associated with PT I immediately flared up. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and tried to work through the pain, but after 8 sessions I called it quits. I was also not happy with the PT office they had me going to. They weren't very hands on and were even negligent in administering treatment before fully reading my chart.

I've tried to be as vocal as possible with my doctor to ensure I'm being treated fairly and adequately. The doctor often makes his notes with a voice recorder while in the room with me. On several occasions I've had to correct his dictations, because they are either contrary to what I said or misinformation. Like I stated overall I've been happy with my doc but continue to grow weary of his dismissiveness. I to agree with what 1171 said about not babying, but to a certain extent.

GREAT JOB with the GED! It is so nice to read your journey. When you apply for jobs you can now check off the box did you graduate from high school -yes and then write GED. This will help you throughout your life.

My daughter went to a city college and after her first year she started taking honors classes and joined the honors society. She also joined the Psychology honors society group. Joining these groups helped her a lot and she was just accepted as a 3rd year transfer student to UCLA. She was not into school during high school and did not take her SAT's and did not get good grades until she went to junior college. I wanted to give her as an example that high school does not determine your life. You can start off at a junior college and transfer to a great state college or university. Her first semester was a little rough getting used to studying etc but she took advantage of tutors until she got the hang of it and graduated with honors a few months ago.

Since applicant attorney's do not get paid anything from these vouchers, I have seen some injured workers not being informed about them. The claims adjusters do not have to inform injured workers about the second voucher and there was a news story that many have not been used just because patients are not aware of them. 

From doing inline classes verses classroom classes myself... on-line is about 2-3 times more work (IMO) but the benefit is you do not have to sit in a classroom. It depends upon the instructor too. There are good professor look up sites that seem accurate on how much homework etc. If you get overwhelmed with the online classes I recommend trying a regular class. Certain subjects like math can be very difficult on-line. Meeting with a counselor every semester is also important as they will help guide you to the right classes and keep you on track (JMO). Priority registration is huge and will help you get classes. 

If it is past the deadline to appeal your SSDI denial then you can re-apply. If you do not apply within 5 years from the last day work (rules may have changed) then you may lose out on SSDI until retirement age. I think with having the surgery you had it is a good idea to apply because you just never know. Another thing is if you receive SSDI you will qualify for Medicare within a few months. If you close out your work comp case with a compromise and release where they no longer have to provide you with medical treatment and you are on Medicare then the insurance carrier has to do a Medicare Set Aside. This is why your attorney stated it will complicate things. It may but it may also be in your best interest to apply if you are going to be out of work for a while recovering. You are still very early in the healing process. I also recommend hiring a SSDI attorney since you have been denied. The important thing to be aware of when applying is that you are not able to do ANY job with your injury your education and training  
 and not just your former job.

I had your type of fusion and also could not tolerate land PT. My doctor requested aqua therapy in a heated pool. There are good physical therapy facilities and a lot of bad ones in the CA work comp system. You should have a MPN (medical provider network) that has a list of physical therapy facilities and no need to go to  a work comp mill or industrial clinic. When you are feeling better I recommend reviewing the MPN for reputable facilities and pick a better one.

If your doctor continues, you can change doctors.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(08-30-2016, 12:35 AM)California_Help Wrote:
(08-29-2016, 10:33 AM)Fusion26 Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 04:00 PM)California_Help Wrote: It is very difficult for anyone on a site to answer the question if you will continue to receive TTD checks without reading your records. Your attorney would be the best person to ask. In the mean time I recommend having your primary doctor write you are TTD every time you see him in your reports.

Take care.

GREAT JOB with the GED! It is so nice to read your journey. When you apply for jobs you can now check off the box did you graduate from high school -yes and then write GED. This will help you throughout your life.

My daughter went to a city college and after her first year she started taking honors classes and joined the honors society. She also joined the Psychology honors society group. Joining these groups helped her a lot and she was just accepted as a 3rd year transfer student to UCLA. She was not into school during high school and did not take her SAT's and did not get good grades until she went to junior college. I wanted to give her as an example that high school does not determine your life. You can start off at a junior college and transfer to a great state college or university. Her first semester was a little rough getting used to studying etc but she took advantage of tutors until she got the hang of it and graduated with honors a few months ago.

Since applicant attorney's do not get paid anything from these vouchers, I have seen some injured workers not being informed about them. The claims adjusters do not have to inform injured workers about the second voucher and there was a news story that many have not been used just because patients are not aware of them. 

From doing inline classes verses classroom classes myself... on-line is about 2-3 times more work (IMO) but the benefit is you do not have to sit in a classroom. It depends upon the instructor too. There are good professor look up sites that seem accurate on how much homework etc. If you get overwhelmed with the online classes I recommend trying a regular class. Certain subjects like math can be very difficult on-line. Meeting with a counselor every semester is also important as they will help guide you to the right classes and keep you on track (JMO). Priority registration is huge and will help you get classes. 

If it is past the deadline to appeal your SSDI denial then you can re-apply. If you do not apply within 5 years from the last day work (rules may have changed) then you may lose out on SSDI until retirement age. I think with having the surgery you had it is a good idea to apply because you just never know. Another thing is if you receive SSDI you will qualify for Medicare within a few months. If you close out your work comp case with a compromise and release where they no longer have to provide you with medical treatment and you are on Medicare then the insurance carrier has to do a Medicare Set Aside. This is why your attorney stated it will complicate things. It may but it may also be in your best interest to apply if you are going to be out of work for a while recovering. You are still very early in the healing process. I also recommend hiring a SSDI attorney since you have been denied. The important thing to be aware of when applying is that you are not able to do ANY job with your injury your education and training  
 and not just your former job.

I had your type of fusion and also could not tolerate land PT. My doctor requested aqua therapy in a heated pool. There are good physical therapy facilities and a lot of bad ones in the CA work comp system. You should have a MPN (medical provider network) that has a list of physical therapy facilities and no need to go to  a work comp mill or industrial clinic. When you are feeling better I recommend reviewing the MPN for reputable facilities and pick a better one.

If your doctor continues, you can change doctors.

Thank you for the encouraging words and sharing your daughters story. I'm actually currently taking a Psych course. I looked into the disability program offered through my school and fear I may have missed the deadline to apply for  DPS, but I'm waiting for a call back to confirm this. If anything I will be sure to take advantage of their services for the following semester.

Wow heated aqua therapy! That sounds niceSmile I'll keep that one in mind. After my first surgery (Microdiscectomy) in 2014 I went to a sports PT facility and the difference between facilities was night and day to say the least. I much preferred their extensive hands on approach. They also were very attentive to ensure none of the exercises were hurting or harmful. If any of the exercises were causing pain they would either stop the exercise all together and try something different, or adjust positioning. Where in contrast the most recent facility I went to handed me a piece of paper with exercise instructions, stuck me in a room, closed the curtain, and said come out when your done. LOL

Anyways I spoke with my attorney again yesterday and was told he is "working on my case" and that I should hear something by the end of the week as far as proceedings. I guess for now I just have to sit tight. When I get the opportunity to speak with my attorney and am more aware of how he plans to proceed I will make mention of the vouchers to him at that time. For now all I can do is acquire as much knowledge so I'm not in the dark as to what I'm entitled to. While I do trust my attorneys capabilities to an extent I'd rather not be at the mercy of someone who's ultimate goal is to make money.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  released full duty but still have arm/leg weakness backwater 1 732 10-18-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Released to full duty but no work. Dacsr 3 7,115 12-10-2012, 12:40 PM
  Released for Work Ga. Gunny 3 4,836 09-18-2012, 08:35 PM
  Dr. released me to light duty, but I don't think I'm ready islandrock 7 16,550 02-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Last Post: islandrock
  Lump sum after being released to full duty?? Vicksquick7 1 7,053 02-03-2012, 04:17 AM
  How to get released from total temporary disability? UncleRuckus 3 7,358 01-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Woodlawn
  Released by IME Doc While Still Under Restrictions from My Doc HadEnuffAlready 5 13,507 09-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Last Post: gba2011
Question Released by a doctor not on the MPN list in ca lizdawiz82 4 8,308 09-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Woodlawn
Exclamation MMI released, now what? bravo 34 44,790 06-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Released to work for three years -Now i Just can't anymore Edwin 6 8,872 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Last Post: kate