Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Released to work! Now What?
First off before I ask my question let me give you a little info. I have had two back surgeries with the most recent being a 360 Fusion of my l5/S1.I'm located in California and have been on work mans comp receiving TTD checks for nearly 2 years. My 2 year mark will be this September. I'm currently 6 months post op and am doing relatively well despite residual pain. Today I went to my work mans comp doc to follow up and he decided it was time to release me back to work. He released me back to work with restrictions. The only problem is the company I worked for was sold while I was on TTD and I was laid off. So I have no job to return to. What can I expect now? Will I still receive any benefits? What am I entitled to? Will I be assisted in finding a new job? Also for the record I do have an attorney working my case, but was unable to get ahold of them. Long story short I was hoping for a little advice to ease my anxiety while I wait for a call back from my attorney. My biggest concern is what to expect financially seeing as my wife's income alone is not substantial enough to support our family. Thank you in advance for any info you may have....

I don't know what other resources you have but you'll need to develop them.
have you applied for SSDI?
since there is litigation, it may take many months to complete any kind of finalization.
you'll have to find a job within your restrictions.
I assume the restrictions are permanent.

You can request permanent disability advances-Smaller payments deducted from any permanent disability awarded.
Read the fact sheet on PD
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/iwguides.html
And on SJDB
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/SJDB.htm
And
http://www.dir.ca.gov/RTWSP/RTWSP.html

also Use the search feature. That's been asked and answered many times.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(08-25-2016, 12:00 PM)1171 Wrote: Thank you for your reply and resources. I did apply for ssdi but was not approved.

I don't know what other resources you have but  you'll need to develop them.
have you applied for SSDI?
since there is litigation, it may take many months to complete any kind of finalization.
you'll have to find a job within your restrictions.
I assume the restrictions are permanent.

You can request permanent disability advances-Smaller payments deducted from any permanent disability awarded.
Read the fact sheet on PD
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/iwguides.html
And on SJDB
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/SJDB.htm
And
http://www.dir.ca.gov/RTWSP/RTWSP.html

also Use the search feature. That's been asked and answered many times.

Glad I could help.
There is lots of basic information on the internet if you know where to look.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(08-26-2016, 11:18 AM)1171 Wrote: Glad I could help.
There is lots of basic information on the internet if you know where to look.

Quick question. The doctor released me back to work with restrictions, does this conclude me permanent and stationary? He did not say anything about MMI. How will this effect my current TTD checks?

no.
restrictions can be temporary or permanent.
many go back to modified work before getting a full release.
if they are permanent, temporary disability checks will stop.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(08-26-2016, 02:23 PM)1171 Wrote: no.
restrictions can be temporary or permanent.
many go back to modified work before getting a full release.
if they are permanent, temporary disability checks will stop.

Ok well thats good. At least I have a small time frame to look for a new job. As it turns out I actually have until October until Ive exhausted my 104 weeks. I spoke with my attorney today and it seems theres been a little disconnect as far as communication between the IC and my attorney in regards to medical records and my current treating physician. Looks like i should know more by Monday.

So in your mind the restrictions are temporary?
It's the written report that,s the evidence, not what was said or not said during your medical appointment.
Hopefully it supports continuing your TD payments.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(08-26-2016, 03:55 PM)1171 Wrote: So in your mind the restrictions are temporary?
It's the written report that,s the evidence, not what was said or not said during your medical appointment.

No, I definitely feel incapable of performing certain task and expect to have some type of restrictions for the foreseeable future. I was a ware house worker previously which is what resulted in my injury. I could in no way return to the same field of work. I do however feel capable of performing some type of sedentary work. I still deal with some residual pain on a daily basis, but have accepted with this type of injury to be completely pain free is unlikely or even unrealistic. I called the doctors office to confirm and it appears there has been no P&S report so I have yet to be declared MMI. It seems everything may begin to pick up momentum with my claim. I'm sure this is to soon to say or wishful thinking, but I hope to be done with the WC system soon. This whole process has been lengthily and stressful. It's truly trying at times both mentally and physically.

(08-26-2016, 04:12 PM)Fusion26 Wrote:
(08-26-2016, 03:55 PM)1171 Wrote: So in your mind the restrictions are temporary?

No, I definitely feel incapable of performing certain task and expect to have some type of restrictions for the foreseeable future. I was a ware house worker previously which is what resulted in my injury. I could in no way return to the same field of work. I do however feel capable of performing some type of sedentary work. I still deal with some residual pain on a daily basis, but have accepted with this type of injury to be completely pain free is unlikely or even unrealistic. I called the doctors office to confirm and it appears there has been no P&S report so I have yet to be declared MMI. It seems everything may begin to pick up momentum with my claim. I'm sure this is to soon to say or wishful thinking, but I hope to be done with the WC system soon. This whole process has been lengthily and stressful. It's truly trying at times both mentally and physically.

It is very difficult for anyone on a site to answer the question if you will continue to receive TTD checks without reading your records. Your attorney would be the best person to ask. In the mean time I recommend having your primary doctor write you are TTD every time you see him in your reports.

If your TTD stops and you are not able to work you can apply for state disability. It will state you are past the deadline to apply, but for injured workers I have seen them make exceptions many times. You will need your doctor to fill out the EDD form. I recommend to go on the states website and print out a form for your doctor to fill out a month before your TTD 104 weeks is up.

At 6 months post op after a 360 fusion are you fused? I have read it can take a year to 14 months for some to fully recover from this surgery. I do not recommend rushing it. 

It sounds like you were injured after 1/1/2013. If so once you are MMI and your employer cannot take you back you are entitled to two vouchers. The first on is in the amount of 6 grand. I have not checked in a while but I think $1,500 can be used for a computer and $500 can be used for whatever you want. The remaining 4 grand can be used at any state college or other vocational colleges on a list. It can be used towards tuition and books. Once you receive your first voucher you can then go down to the district office of your WCAB and pick up your second voucher which will be a check for $5,000.. This check can be used for whatever you want.

After having such an evasive surgery I recommend going back to school if you are not qualified for sedentary work.

Take care.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  released full duty but still have arm/leg weakness backwater 1 731 10-18-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Released to full duty but no work. Dacsr 3 7,114 12-10-2012, 12:40 PM
  Released for Work Ga. Gunny 3 4,835 09-18-2012, 08:35 PM
  Dr. released me to light duty, but I don't think I'm ready islandrock 7 16,549 02-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Last Post: islandrock
  Lump sum after being released to full duty?? Vicksquick7 1 7,053 02-03-2012, 04:17 AM
  How to get released from total temporary disability? UncleRuckus 3 7,358 01-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Woodlawn
  Released by IME Doc While Still Under Restrictions from My Doc HadEnuffAlready 5 13,507 09-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Last Post: gba2011
Question Released by a doctor not on the MPN list in ca lizdawiz82 4 8,308 09-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Woodlawn
Exclamation MMI released, now what? bravo 34 44,790 06-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Released to work for three years -Now i Just can't anymore Edwin 6 8,872 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Last Post: kate