Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Future medical issues
In ca

So I'm close to closing my case and I have been on heavy narcotics for the last eight years. I have read and being formed by doctors that the chronic use of narcotics lead to kidney and liver issues down the road.

I was talking to one of the assistants  at my lawyers office and was informed that if you're currently not having issues with that body part you can I add it into your case. I do not know exactly how much of that is true being she's only paralegal however I am deeply concerned that you know 5/10 years down the line I may have kidney or liver issues. 

Is there anything that the doctors can do to advise the IC that later on they for seeing me having issues with my liver/kidneys?

Yes, the doctors can put in their recommendations for future medical care that there be a provision that includes treatment for the effects of long term narcotic use.
You cannot get future disability benefits for a condition that is not present and ratable but future medical treatment dollars are often based on "possible" or speculative outcomes or known side effects.

just another argument to make during the negotiations.
If you died tomorrow they wouldn't,t have to pay anything more.
The probability of future events is difficult to use in negotiations.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

If you settle your case with a compromise and release, you will not be able to get treatment through work comp for additional issues. (just FYI).
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(08-11-2016, 03:11 AM)Animatedbreak84 Wrote: In ca

So I'm close to closing my case and I have been on heavy narcotics for the last eight years. I have read and being formed by doctors that the chronic use of narcotics lead to kidney and liver issues down the road.

I was talking to one of the assistants  at my lawyers office and was informed that if you're currently not having issues with that body part you can I add it into your case. I do not know exactly how much of that is true being she's only paralegal however I am deeply concerned that you know 5/10 years down the line I may have kidney or liver issues. 

Is there anything that the doctors can do to advise the IC that later on they for seeing me having issues with my liver/kidneys?

Doctors are lying to you. there is no evidence opioids cause any long-term effects.

There is currently a cult that has convinced the FDA based on no real evidence, that long term opioid use is a problem for chronic pain patients. causing doctors to be in fear of their license for prescribing pain medication long term. I have personally experienced this, my doctor has cut my pain medication 25% based on this fear mongering cult. I don't even take opioid based medication as I'm allergic to opioids yet I'm still getting slammed in this fad.

I can't get the doctor to look into any alternatives (implants surgery or such) I was pretty much at the end of my current medications effectiveness and was looking to either increase or switch to another medication, now all these options are off the table.
Sad  CDC Guideline 2016 Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain will be the death of me.
[url=http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/rr/rr6501e1.htm]http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/rr/rr6501e1.htm[/url]

there seems to be some  evidence that long term use of opioids are addictive and may lead to abuse and overdose.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK258809/
"For ALL opioids, the FDA warns about respiratory depression, hypotension and death; abuse and diversion;
interactions with alcohol and other drugs; and dependence."

http://www.dir.ca.gov/chswc/Reports/2012...s_2012.pdf

FYI
states with more liberal marijuana laws report a significant drop in opioid/pain med use.
There are studies showing its effectiveness in pain management
http://www.psypost.org/2016/08/smoking-m...omen-44457
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I agree with 1171. There is a lot of evidence long term use of opioids can lead to serious problems including liver problems and death. It is also not healthy to live in long term extreme pain . Both are bad in different ways.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

More to the point, I have a settlement for lifetime medical.. It's pretty useless as I can't find anyway to enforce it. My lawyer bailed on me four years ago. Ever since I've been trying to represent myself with very little in the way of results. In March I got reinjured on another job and the SCIF has had a field day finding ways to not allow treatment, this aided by the fact I have found no legal assistance in seven months now. I tried a hearing, no result and have a QME in two weeks. This will be the final discussion point. I have pretty much blown thru my accumulated sick leave, vacation, and other means SCI is a bad joke unless I can sell my home quick and live in my car. November is make or break either we get help or just suicide I've had it SEVEN months of pain little sleep and games!

Hope things go better for you.
Sad  CDC Guideline 2016 Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain will be the death of me.
[url=http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/rr/rr6501e1.htm]http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/rr/rr6501e1.htm[/url]

(08-11-2016, 11:29 AM)1171 Wrote: Yes, the doctors can put in their recommendations for future medical care that there be a provision that includes treatment for the effects of long term narcotic use.
You cannot get future disability benefits for a condition that is not present and ratable but future medical treatment dollars are often based on "possible" or speculative outcomes or known side effects.

Can any doctor add comments to this effect, or does it have to be a specific recommendation from a QME doctor and in the QME Report?

(08-11-2016, 03:11 AM)Animatedbreak84 Wrote: In ca

I'm wondering how this worked out or if you know yet? I have similar questions. I actually had to stop taking my anxiety meds for panic attacks because of the narcotic pain pills I get. I wasn't even allowed to get a prescription for emergencies when I hyperventilate and can't get control.

(10-03-2016, 07:27 PM)BB019 Wrote:
(08-11-2016, 11:29 AM)1171 Wrote: Yes, the doctors can put in their recommendations for future medical care that there be a provision that includes treatment for the effects of long term narcotic use.

Can any doctor add comments to this effect, or does it have to be a specific recommendation from a QME doctor and in the QME Report?

If you keep your medical open you can receive future medical care but it will be subject to the utilization review IMR process and the insurance company can deny the new body part. I do not recommend keeping medical open unless you cannot get other insurance to cover these injuries. As the injured worker wrote above UR and IMR is denying his treatments and he kept his medical open.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The future Dasrock 1 546 07-20-2018, 09:30 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Insurance Co. Settlement Future Medical Questions Solin 3 1,794 03-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Solin
  Settlement for future medical questions Allboys 2 2,203 01-28-2018, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Allboys
  Future Medical Question thx4thefreckles 3 2,604 12-16-2016, 12:38 PM
  future medical gouge666eye 4 3,052 05-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Last Post: gouge666eye
  Settling Future Medical for PTSD Shortfuse 4 5,198 04-10-2016, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Shortfuse
  CA - four years of WC hell... Future Medical M998 12 6,234 02-18-2016, 09:46 PM
  Future medical cost injured man 2 2,860 02-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Last Post: injured man
  Florida menescus surgery settlement opinion help. Future medical? Stinkeye22 5 14,754 10-16-2015, 05:53 AM
Last Post: richardhudson
  Utah MMI issues please help kiman 3 2,428 08-10-2015, 04:23 PM