Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prilosec issues
I can't speak to the specific kidney issues, but my doctor ordered me on Omeprazole (Generic Prilosec) a few years ago. After taking it for almost two years, I became uncomfortable with what I've read regarding potential side effects from long term exposure to it. I researched alternatives and have had tremendous success with Betaine HCL, which is an over the counter form of hydrochloric acid. The theory is that heartburn is actually a product of decreased stomach acid, and as we age we produce less acid.

I was originally diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus. Taking that supplement a couple times a day has wiped out any heartburn I was having. I'm due for a physical this week, and we will see if the condition has improved as I think it has.

I also have Barrett's esophagus and was on both Omeprazole and Pantoprazole but not as effective as hoped, GERD surgery’s the next step and I was recently involved in a liver study where Betaine was taken, it took care of the liver numbers but did nothing for the acid attacks.

Serious side effects of Prilosec (omeprazole) may include:
Kidney injury, damage or failure.
Acute Interstitial Nephritis (AIN)
Bone fracture of the hip, wrist or spine.
Vitamin B-12 deficiency.
Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (caused by intestinal infection)
Lupus Erythematosus.
Low magnesium levels.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Insomnia and Next Day alertness issues... 1171 4 4,728 03-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Tornado issues fatboy 4 5,057 10-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Medical Issues and Christmas Presents. UndercovrAngel 8 5,693 01-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Cervical_Fusion
  Gathering WC Issues.... red1030 104 33,100 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Last Post: chrischris
  Health issues-don't use glasses at hotels CRABBY 2 2,378 12-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Last Post: MJC