Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
attorney letter demanding deposition?
I have only been injured for 4 months.
Yesterday i received a letter from a law firm with unfilled suit paperwork styled as me suing the company i was working for when i was injured.
The paperwork demands i show up for a deposition, and bring them all sorts of evidence against myself.

To this point the insurance company has accepted my claim, has been paying me, and with little trouble.

Now i do not know what to expect.

can anyone tell me what is going on?

(07-17-2016, 10:13 PM)ka107 Wrote: I have only been injured for 4 months.
Yesterday i received a letter from a law firm with unfilled suit paperwork styled as me suing the company i was working for when i was injured.
The paperwork demands i show up for a deposition, and bring them all sorts of evidence against myself.

To this point the insurance company has accepted my claim, has been paying me, and with little trouble.

------------------------------
if you retain an atty to represent you, they will probably tell you what you want to know.
if you are in california, you can find an atty at caaa.org.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(07-17-2016, 10:13 PM)ka107 Wrote: I have only been injured for 4 months.

If you are not represented you can ask your adjuster or contact your employer.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

You have every right to have an attorney present at this deposition and I do not recommend going without one. They have to pay your attorney to attend.

The letter you received sounds like a boilerplate letter. Chances are high you do not have to bring the things they are requesting, but you need to talk to an attorney about it. I have no idea as I am not an attorney. I would not go searching for records they are requesting before talking to an attorney. They may be overreaching, and an attorney can advise you on this.

They can deny your claim at any time. Filing a work comp claim is like suing your employer in a way (if they are self insured). You have been injured and are requesting they pay for medical treatment and benefits if you are out of work.

A deposition is where an attorney from the insurance company will question you under oath with a court reporter present. Again, you NEED to have your own attorney there for your own protection. You can hire an attorney just for the deposition if you do not want one to represent you in your claim and the insurance company has to pay the attorney. Make sure it is an attorney who specializes in workers compensation.

It sounds like you are having some difficulties with your claim and why I suggest consulting with some work comp attorney's at this point. The link 1171 gave is the best at finding one. Just PLEASE google the attorney and read their reviews before meeting with them. Unfortunately there are a number of work comp attorney's in Southern CA who take on way too many clients and are "mills". You mentioned Los Angeles in your other post and that is the area where there are some bad work comp mills. Avoid the big ones who advertise on TV they are horrible!

Again, you do not have to pay for a work comp attorney. They take between 9%- 15% of your permanent disability award or settlement. They should be able to assist you with your MPN issue and this deposition or you can hire one just for the deposition.

You can call an information and assistance officer to assist you or go down to the work comp board where your case is located and bring your paperwork and ask if one can sit down with you and help you with the deposition questions and also your MPN. In my opinion this is much better than calling. You can also go into the waiting room and see how attorney's interact with their clients. You can as injured workers if they like their attorney and if so get their contact info. I have witnessed a lot of good and bad behavior from work comp attorney's by sitting in waiting rooms at several work comp boards. Information and assistance officers sometimes may give you some advice on attorney as well, but I doubt over the phone.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AME Deposition Shadow 3 7,353 03-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Last Post: 1171
  need help on letter from attorney! Treeburn 2 2,495 08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Interesting what attorney said about deposition Backache1217 0 2,268 06-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Last Post: Backache1217
  Question about deposition Backache1217 3 4,024 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Last Post: 1171
Question deposition hamrs_62 2 4,869 06-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Last Post: hamrs_62
Question Question about deposition? lizdawiz82 8 14,309 12-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Last Post: lizdawiz82
  Letter From My Attorney Cervical_Fusion 25 19,443 11-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Last Post: LeglEgl
  Had deposition , don't understand it janet1031 4 7,762 09-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Last Post: LeglEgl
  2nd Deposition fianallymadeone 2 9,211 09-17-2011, 09:54 PM