Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
cashing out on the medical
I just received a 7% disability rating in Utah from working atXXXX I hurt my L4 and L5. I have been off almost a year and they want to know if I would like to cash out my future medical beneifts as I no longer work there. They are only willing to give me a little over 5,000.00 or she said I could come back with a number and see if it would be approved. I have had 2 sets of cortisone shots , a ton of physical therapy, and saw the dr a bunch of times. I even ended up in the ER because of so much pain(MRI done twice) doesn't 5000 sound a little bit low since I am only 23 and could have years of problems? thanks any help would be appreciated

Can you please go back into your post and delete your employers name? It is easy to modify your post.Many insurance companies read public sites like these and we do not need them knowing your strategy.

I am not familiar with laws in your state. Do you have another type of insurance to care for this injury because closing out your medical means they will not have to provide you with treatment anymore? Are you currently receiving income from being off of work due to this injury as that stops usually when you close out your claim?

Have you taken your MRI''s to a anther spinal surgeon for a second opinion?

You are very young and due to this have a higher chance of recovering which can take a few years. I highly recommend not doing any more jobs that require anything physical. Go back to college and get a degree in something that does not require physical labor.

You can consult with an attorney to see if that is a fair settlement. I would recommend getting another opinion on your MRI's first.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

you are not required to "sell" your entitlement to future medical care for your work injury.
you may inform the adjuster you wish to keep your medical coverage open.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Hi,
All I have to add is that it really comes down to money. In my case I am allergic to ophids so alternative medication is $750 a month... Every month. Continuing medical visits are $500 a month goes higher some months. Sometimes I go to a depression group out of pocket $150 per visit, even though it's in my lifetime medical agreement I have never been able to get reimbursement attorneys won't help as they consider it small change. So you have to figure how much it will cost you to live. For me it's over $20,000 a year medical at %2 I'll maybe live another 20yrs or less certainly 15yrs unless I commit suicide from the pure hell of 24hr pain and constant harassment from insurance company, employer's and life in general.

But only you can decide add up your monthly receipts x12 time how long you expect to live. and see is the figure less or more than they offer on a one time payout.

Good Luck
Sad  CDC Guideline 2016 Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain will be the death of me.
[url=http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/rr/rr6501e1.htm]http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/rr/rr6501e1.htm[/url]

(07-14-2016, 03:22 PM)Richard+Catz Wrote: Hi,
All I have to add is that it really comes down to money. In my case I am allergic to ophids so alternative medication is $750 a month... Every month. Continuing medical visits are $500 a month goes higher some months. Sometimes I go to a depression group out of pocket $150 per visit, even though it's in my lifetime medical agreement I have never been able to get reimbursement attorneys won't help as they consider it small change. So you have to figure how much it will cost you to live. For me it's over $20,000 a year medical at %2 I'll maybe live another 20yrs or less certainly 15yrs unless I commit suicide from the pure hell of 24hr pain and constant harassment from insurance company, employer's and life in general.

But only you can decide add up your monthly receipts x12 time how long you expect to live. and see is the figure less or more than they offer on a one time payout.

Good Luck

Richardcatz how you get reimbursed can be difficult for out of pocket expenses . Are you seeing a psych doctor who can request group therapy once a week for you through work comp? It is very difficult to produce receipts from treatment you have gotten that was never requested through work comp. If it was and they did not send through UR etc then you may be able to request the out of pocket expenses. Since you are pro per you can now file for hearings that your attorney did not want to. There are I&A officers at your WCAB who can help you fill out forms for filing for hearings and also let you know if the issues is something that can be taken to a hearing.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cashing out claim and using own health insurance wcthaway 2 997 05-06-2019, 12:14 AM
Last Post: wcthaway
  Calif UR doctors denying/Cashing out Medical. 1171 Babebahn 15 8,887 03-16-2018, 09:03 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Cashing out money from school? bangbang 5 6,173 05-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Last Post: bronco54501