Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wanting to quit job for awhile...now out on leave... What to do?
I'll try and make this short...

For the past year, I've been miserable at my current place of employment. I have my degree in SpEd so my options are limited. I've put in roughly 60 applications that I can remember and have had two interviews (over a year span). 

On 4/26 I sprained my foot at work working direct care for disabled adults. I've been out on leave ever since and the damn thing just doesn't seem to want to heal. While out on leave I took this opportunity to try and find another job full force. Still coming up empty handed. Meanwhile I have an appt set up tomorrow for an orthopedic surgeon. As time goes on, I just keep thinking about the idea of not returning at all. My job won't let me go back on light duty or any restrictions so that's why I've been out so long too... 

My work is pretty weird. When I went out on FMLA last year for an unrelated event, my supervisor and manager would NOT communicate with me under any circumstances (one finally told me this after I had a panic attack) and referred me to HR. I can only imagine how they will be now if I try to contact them. I'd like to put in my two weeks but I don't know how to do that if no one will talk to me. No one (not even co workers) have said a peep to me in 6 weeks. I just don't think I could stand going back. And it's not that I don't want to work. I'd much rather go back to just about anywhere but there. And the treatment I'll get if I return because they had to cover my shifts? I shudder at the mere thought of it... 

So, should I go through hr? When should I? Since I don't want to go back, I'm wondering how to play it out where I would be on leave for exactly two weeks longer for it to be my last two weeks... I know it sounds shady... I don't care if I get paid or not... I just don't want to go back but don't want poor standing with them and burn a 5 year bridge... Never know what I might need (even though I know they'll be pissed about this...but maybe a little less this way... Let's face it, six weeks probably already has them fuming...) Thanks in advance!

PS- I live in Missouri

What about -when you,re ready- just telling them your doctor recommended against returning.
That way it's really not so much your choice and it can be effective immediately. The 2 weeks notice is only traditional courtesy and not any kind of law.
And Your doctor might actually agree.
This is really a site for work camp insurance issues but we can do HR in a pinch..
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(06-06-2016, 10:50 PM)1171 Wrote: What about -when you,re  ready-  just telling them your doctor recommended against returning.
That way it's really not so much your choice.
And Your doctor might actually agree.
This is really a site for work camp insurance issues but we can HR in a pinch..

I apologize. I searched for the topic (in a shortened way) and this site popped up. But I digress, that is a pretty good idea. I'd have to think of a....clever way of getting the conversation swayed that way just in case. I very much appreciate you (and anyone else really who wants to contribute) responding to my post even though it doesn't belong here lol

You're welcome.
We help where ever we can.
Be well.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Are you receiving any sort of payments while you are off from work comp? Do you know if this will stop if you quit? My concern for you would be what happens if you need surgery or need to be off of work longer. If you do not care about this then I would recommend to give them at least two weeks notice. You should be able to do this through the HR department. If they refuse to talk to you you can do this in writing.

It is common for employers to have rules that employees cannot talk to a person who is out on a work related injury or out on FMLA. This was my employers rule and managers could get in trouble if they did not follow it. I would not take it personally.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ust now Can I quit my job and do freelance work during workers comp? caworkerscompqs 1 749 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Lawyer Quit Shadow 4 822 07-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Shadow
  Need to quit but need to keep seeing MD! claire51870 4 2,212 02-19-2016, 01:11 AM
Last Post: claire51870
  Will I lose my job after being out on leave for longer than 12 weeks? cainjuredworker 3 3,100 02-04-2016, 12:30 AM
  I was injured and then I quit my job Mrbigstuff 10 8,223 01-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Mrbigstuff
  Can you Leave the Country for 2 Weeks when You Are on W/C mike985 4 6,840 12-17-2015, 06:37 PM
Last Post: rolandlaw
  TN Fired after WC claim, Quit light duty job after Surgery Tango 3 3,538 03-27-2015, 11:08 AM
  Should I quit or wait to be fired? I NEED HELP! ajdrivesayota 5 7,797 02-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Lawyer Quit at critical time shndar85 9 6,869 04-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Last Post: shndar85
  Vacation/Sick Time Accrual During Workman's Comp Leave msyentah188 1 11,806 04-05-2014, 01:33 PM