Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Michigan permanent work restriction question
    A year ago I fell at home and tore my meniscus in my left knee. I had surgery to trim it and found out that I also have grade 4 arthritis in that knee. They have tried "chicken" shots and steroid shots to relieve my pain but nothing helped. Pain meds don't really help either.
At my last appointment they took x-rays and discovered that I have hardly any cushioning left in the area where they performed the surgery. I've also developed quite a few bone spurs. They put me on restrictions for 5 days a week, 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week. At that time I asked if they could make these restrictions permanent so the doctor put that I only had to come in "as needed". When they asked me about the "as needed" at work I told them it was permanent restriction and seemed to be fine with it. My employer had some other issues with my restrictions not being clear enough so I thought I'd ask the doctor to write that these restrictions are permanent. Now the doctor is saying that they can't put me on permanent work restrictions and that I would have to go through a disability insurer or take a functional capacity test. Is it true that they legally can't or are they trying to avoid liability for some reason? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Diane
the doctor can write the same report for a home injury as well they can for a work injury.
generally a disability report has to have some standards or guidelines for describing/ranking the disability.
maybe your doctors don't believe they are qualified to apply disability standards.
there are many different rating systems, social security, workers compensation, general disability policy, etc.
An FCE can help quantify and measure function but only a physician can interprete the results as permanent work restrictions.
maybe your health insurer is not willing to pay for such a non-treatment item and you may have to pay for such an evaluation yourself.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
I forgot to say that my restrictions are also sit down only except to get supplies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Work Release Question - Arizona Kosmo 1 937 03-05-2021, 01:45 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Settlement Questions- Michigan chubbygodofthunder 11 4,274 02-05-2020, 11:05 PM
Last Post: chubbygodofthunder
  Hours cut after weight restriction due to injury SavedSinner 5 1,677 01-25-2020, 10:36 PM
Last Post: 1171
  when do wages start accruing (WC in michigan) tropic00 2 1,195 01-17-2020, 06:16 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Dr refused to fill out work restriction form Andy1689 8 2,981 08-26-2019, 12:29 AM
Last Post: Andy1689
  FCE and DR. Restriction . Hurtnt 3 2,297 06-29-2018, 11:37 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Does being fired for work restriction count as time loss? mwpdx86 3 4,136 03-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Michigan Comp Case MyBackHurtsBad 3 3,731 02-17-2016, 05:36 PM
Last Post: MyBackHurtsBad
  Lifting restriction jky705 2 2,861 02-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Last Post: jky705
  Michigan-worker's comp settlement for $60,000 fair for a broken back? sunnykate 2 7,510 12-02-2015, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Sedertree

Forum Jump:

Browsing: 1 Guest(s)