Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LLC subchapter S corp owner claim
Hi, I am 50% owner of an LLC and back in 2008 we elected our company to be treated as an S corp. We file 1120S form with our company tax returns. I was injured at work and WC  refused to cover my injury because they claim that my business is not a corporation and owners are excluded automatically. Does anybody have an idea about this weird situation of mine?

many states differentiate between an LLC, partnership, and a corporation and rules differ for each.
just as benefits and claims differ by state so do underwriting rules.
i believe it depends on what coverage and endorsements were part of your comp package,
did you notify the change your ownership status with the carrier and get the proper changes added to your coverage?
look at your policy documents, what kind of evidence of officer coverage do you have? is the exclusion language noted somewhere?
look at your premium bills; have you been paying premium on the corporate officer payroll?
if not, it'll be difficult to claim you had thought you had coverage. most comp policies are audited for payroll regularly and officer payroll is often clearly noted by the auditor and/or discussed with your bookkeeper/accountant?
In most states filing your tax return does not do anything to change the comp coverage with your insurance carrier.
depending on the state underwriting laws, officers generally have to elect to be covered and be endorsed onto the policy along with a premium determination agreement.
if you relied on broker information in assuming the coverage, they may have some liability for the lapse.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Toungue Exclusion in Owner Controlled Insurance Policy, Texas danitaw63 2 3,147 11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Last Post: danitaw63
  Will I jeopardize my workers compensation claim if I file a personal injury claim for wanttowork 3 17,174 03-27-2011, 02:07 AM
Last Post: 1171
  precedent decisions governing company owner worker opting to insure himself larryorth 2 2,482 05-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Last Post: larryorth