Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help understanding
Hi,
I am new here and need some help understanding what is happening.

About me and my case:

60 Year old female, youth minister, injured on 12/12/2012 in California, hired attorney in 11/2014
I have had to fight for every bit of medical treatment I have received.  I am working under very strict limitations and only because of the generosity of my boss.  I really cannot perform the duties of my job and they have sense hired two assistants to help me.
I was driving the church van on the way home from retreat in Big Bear when I lost the brakes.  I do not know how but I kept the van on the road and did not hit anyone else through 3 curves on the mountain.  I finally brought the van to an abrupt stop by hitting the emergency brake just 6 inches shy of going over the edge.  I messed up my back and neck in the accident and my knees when I fell out of the van.
I just received the first report from the AME (medical), mental still to come.  I do not understand it and unfortunately although my attorney has a great reputation for outcome I have yet to even meet him in person.
The AME report give a 58% whole person impairment.  The report is 71 pages long and I am trying to make sense of it but cannot seem to focus.
Can anyone tell me what this means?  Should I be looking into Social Security Disability?  Thanks in advance for any help.

100% is total impairment. Without factoring the unknown mental component, you have a permanent partial disability.
your impairment rating needs to be converted to a disability rating before an amount can be calculated.
SSDI requires a medical finding of total disability for a year.
more here
http://www.ssas.com/examples-of-who-is-disabled/

The duration of Additional disability payments will be determined by the rating; the higher the rating the more weeks are paid.
More information on the benefits and fact sheet pages are accessible from here:
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/IandA.html

I imagine you will want to buy out all future benefits and will not want to leave your medical open. In that case Medicare will want you and the carrier to designate/allocate an adequate amount for medical treatment in a Medicare setaside account. that will have to be negotiated between your atty, the carrier and medicare before the case can be settled.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UNDERSTANDING MEDICARE SETASIDE AGREEMENTS 1171 0 651 04-07-2019, 02:05 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Understanding New Jersey WC Law and rules bugmann 12 8,170 05-10-2016, 08:50 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Understanding vocational rehab weezle735 4 6,695 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Last Post: weezle735
  A little help understanding. lolipop2004 11 8,636 05-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Last Post: kate
Sad Not understanding gadgetsgirl 2 2,950 05-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Last Post: kate