Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Ohio Permanent Partial Disability Increase
#1
After seeing several doctors to increase my permanent partial, I have received notification from OH Bureau of Workers Compensation regarding the scoring system.   The letter states they utilized the AMA Guides of Permanent Impairment 5th edition: Utilizing the combined values table, it is noted that the doctor combined the 55% with the 6% he reported for the newly allowed physical conditions for a total of 58%.  Again utilizing the combined values table, and combing that 58% with the 10% reported by another doctor = 62% whole person permanent partial impairment for all listed allow conditions, an increase of 4% whole person impairment will be allowed.    Does sound right?  The formulas do not make much sense.
 
Reply
#2
there is some overlap in every rating of a particular body part with other body parts.
in order not to exceed 100% for a whole body rating and to factor out the overlaps the AMA developed the combined values table to allow multiple impairments to be used together to create an accurate whole person rating.
the combined value chart is on page 604 of chapter 19 in AMA guides. a discussion of the concepts for the combined values chart is in chapter one of the AMA guides. your physician or medical library should have a copy of the guides available.

here's my attempt to explain:
basically you only get 6% of the remaining 45% of your whole person(100%-55%= 45%*6%=2.7%) ---your second impairment affected an already impaired body; it was not a body that was 100% like your first impairment. So you lost 6% of a remaining 45% not-whole-person.
the 2.7 % additional impairment is added to your existing 55% for a total of 57.7% or 58% rounded up for the combination of the 2 ratings.
for the third rating you get 10% of the remaining 42% of the not-whole-body (100%-58%=42%*10%=4.2%). again the third impairment affected a body that had been impaired twice before and was no longer at 100%.
58%+4% (rounded down)=62%.
subsequent impairments are always applied to the remaining functionality of your body NOT to a 100% unrated whole body.
after your first impairment you are no longer considered to be 100% whole body and it would be in error to apply subsequent disabilities to an already disabled body that is not 100%. this process prevents the "stacking" of multiple impairment ratings and eventually getting a whole body rating of more then 100%.
if each of your ratings were 55% and you used simple addition, your whole person would total 165%. the rating guide specifies that 100% is a whole person.

ratings are complex. hope this helps.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.
 
Reply
#3
It is what it is, and be thankful Ohio is not under 6th edition or that % would be less than half.
 
Reply
#4
(03-20-2016, 11:14 AM)Cycler Wrote: It is what it is, and be thankful Ohio is not under 6th edition or that % would be less than half.

the sad thing is that american workers have been a big supporter of politicians that have lead the roll back of worker benefits and rights. they have forgotten how hard their fathers and grandfathers fought to get those benefits that they enjoyed for the last 75-80 years. once they are gone i doubt they'll be able to get them back.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.
 
Reply
#5
(03-19-2016, 04:24 PM)Thanks for the great explanation.  It all makes sense now. Wrote: there is some overlap in every rating of a particular body part with other body parts.
in order not to exceed 100% for a whole body rating and to factor out the overlaps the AMA developed the combined values table to allow multiple impairments to be used together to create an accurate whole person rating.
the combined value chart is on page 604 of chapter 19 in AMA guides. a discussion of the concepts for the combined values chart is in chapter one of the AMA guides. your physician or medical library should have a copy of the guides available.

here's my attempt to explain:
basically you only get 6% of the remaining 45% of your whole person(100%-55%= 45%*6%=2.7%) ---your second impairment affected an already impaired body; it was not a body that was 100% like your first impairment. So you lost 6% of a remaining 45% not-whole-person.
the 2.7 % additional impairment is added to your existing 55% for a total of 57.7% or 58% rounded up for the combination of the 2 ratings.
for the third rating you get 10% of the remaining 42% of the not-whole-body (100%-58%=42%*10%=4.2%). again the third impairment affected a body that had been impaired twice before and was no longer at 100%.
58%+4% (rounded down)=62%.
subsequent impairments are always applied to the remaining functionality of your body NOT to a 100% unrated whole body.
after your first impairment you are no longer considered to be 100% whole body and it would be in error to apply subsequent disabilities to an already disabled body that is not 100%. this process prevents the "stacking" of multiple impairment ratings and eventually getting a whole body rating of more then 100%.
if each of your ratings were 55% and you used simple addition, your whole person would total 165%. the rating guide specifies that 100% is a whole person.

ratings are complex. hope this helps.
 
Reply
  


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medical mileage increase for California.... 1171 0 292 01-06-2019, 02:56 PM
Last Post: 1171
  California 3% payment increase 1171 0 472 06-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Permanent disability rating and settlement jennifernd 14 67,115 12-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Ohio: doctors errors on Medcos desparate 6 2,271 08-27-2017, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Shadow
  Ohio-Employer appeal schedule loss/dr appt brandallee3 8 3,465 05-23-2017, 09:48 AM
Last Post: ColumbusChiroCntr North
  Ohio BWC FishermanBrad 2 1,262 03-07-2017, 11:40 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Ohio. Same story new question on OAC brandallee3 3 1,764 03-03-2017, 05:44 PM
Last Post: 1171
  VSSR and a Minor- 17 years old in Ohio brandallee3 8 3,232 02-28-2017, 09:50 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Partial Permanent Disability W/CPTclaim 1 3,683 01-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Last Post: 1171
  NC - "Partial Clincher" for indemnity, open medical HeyNowNC 3 2,333 08-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Last Post: 1171

Forum Jump:


Browsing: 1 Guest(s)