Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a high income earner, in settlement..can I asK
Hi there,

First I'm in the state of CA.  I got injured concussion and other fun things like back and neck and should injuries.
I'm likely going to have surgery, which I will have to take 3-4 months (or more) off? The Workers Comp. max. monthly reimbursement is about 40% of what I earn.  In the settlement, should I try to re-claim the 60% lost wages? 

Also, I do not have an attorney.  Should I get one? What % of settlement wold they take?
I support a family of 3 + wife (who will likely return t work soon as its been a rough couple of months).  Thanks. Sad

sure but negotiation is all about "leverage" what do you have to bargain with?
why would they pay you more then they have to?
comp benefits are fixed, not open ended.
the employer/carrier has no legal liability to provide full replacement of wages.
work comp is not civil/tort, it's no fault.

in addition to the capped wage replacement benefit (temporary disability) comp is also obligated to determine if you are left with any permanent impairment. there is a rating process used to calculate the additional permanent disability payments. it is NOT determined by the amount of wages you lost.

if you are going to negotiate your own settlement without an atty, you need basic information about what benefits you are entitled to.
for more information:
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/IandA.html
and the guidebook
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/dwcrep.htm
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

This income is not taxed so it will not be as bad as you may anticipate.

You can try to apply for state disability and see if they will supplement the workers compensation TTD payments.

If you have a STD or LTD policy through your employer, this would be the time to use it. They usually pay around 60-66% of your income and may supplement the work comp temporary disability payments.

I recommend getting the Christopher Ball book on workers compensation in California. Make sure you get the most recent book or the laws are out of date. This may help you understand the process.

Work comp attorney's take between 9%-15% of your settlement. Sometimes hiring an attorney can cause friction with the employer (especially if they are self insured). I recommend hiring an attorney only if things are going bad.(JMO)
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  worker comp benifits income help glopez 1 2,108 04-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Obamacare and workers comp income...seriously need help! HurtingInPA 9 8,574 06-28-2016, 05:46 PM
Last Post: complwyrNC
  WC denied settlement bc setaside is too high! Lenaye 7 6,392 03-16-2016, 05:38 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  supplemental income benefits in TX bigbo88 3 4,341 01-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Last Post: bigbo88
  While on TTD, can I pick up extra income from other work? chicagoHdiscs 5 11,000 09-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Manley2
Question Learned something interesting about high blood pressure and FCE lefty 26 29,339 07-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Figuring Actual Income for TTD benefits st. clare 2 4,643 12-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Last Post: kit
  Does it take an accountant to figure out income? dgray 5 6,511 04-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Taxable Income Prunie 4 6,040 02-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Prunie
  hurt after giving notice: still get lost-income benefit? jna1322 8 8,349 12-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Timothy Belt