Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to quit but need to keep seeing MD!
I am in a difficult situation and can't pay for a lawyer so I'm hoping someone can help me!

I moved to New Mexico a month ago for a job offered to me as a massage therapist. However, I would be independently contracted with their clinic, and we didn't sign any paperwork. It would pay well, and I trusted the clinic because I had attended school there. While I waited for my licensure paperwork to go through, I got a job canvassing for a local non-profit for supplemental income. On the 2nd day of work, I tripped and broke my arm. The canvassing job was meager pay and just part-time. But of course, now I'll be in a brace for 3 months, and it will be 6+ months until I can massage. My WC checks only amount to about $450/month, which is not enough to pay rent. So I had to go on food stamps and now live out of a 50-year-old damaged trailer. The only reason I haven't driven to Utah or California to live with family is because I need to be in physical therapy twice a week to heal. 

Here's my question: if I quit the job, will I still be able to get the physical therapy and orthopedist expenses covered? If so, could I find healthcare providers out of state? Here's the other thing about the job: it's not safe for a female, and I didn't understand that going into it. We walk unattended at night around the streets of Albuquerque- a VERY dangerous city-  and knock on every door. I told my boss that I didn't feel safe, and he was rudely dismissive. I assumed I would have to quit because I didn't feel safe, but then I got injured right off the bat.

Sorry for such a long explanation, but I'm in real need of advice! Thanks.

Comp lawyers do not get fees up front, only out of benefits awarded.
Comp benefits are not health insurance, it's the employer that has the coverage not the worker.
you don,t have to continue your employment to receive benefits for your work comp injury.

Generally out of state doctors have difficulties accepting other state,s fee and reporting rules.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(02-18-2016, 12:51 PM)1171 Wrote: Comp lawyers do not get fees up front, only out of benefits awarded.
Comp benefits are not health insurance, it's the  employer that has the coverage not the worker.
you don't have to continue your employment to receive benefits for your work comp injury.

Generally out of state doctors have difficulties accepting other state,s fee and reporting rules.

Thank you! So I should be able to continue receiving health care in state even if I quit the job?

THe employer,s comp coverage continues as long as there is a claim, whether the worker is still on payroll or not.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Awesome, thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ust now Can I quit my job and do freelance work during workers comp? caworkerscompqs 1 1,835 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Lawyer Quit Shadow 4 1,376 07-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Shadow
  Wanting to quit job for awhile...now out on leave... What to do? darkenedflame01 4 4,752 06-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  I was injured and then I quit my job Mrbigstuff 10 10,357 01-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Mrbigstuff
  TN Fired after WC claim, Quit light duty job after Surgery Tango 3 4,095 03-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Should I quit or wait to be fired? I NEED HELP! ajdrivesayota 5 8,896 02-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Lawyer Quit at critical time shndar85 9 7,846 04-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Last Post: shndar85
  Can I quit my job? needhelp 5 9,616 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Manley2
Question I quit, what now? speakeasy 5 6,793 04-08-2012, 02:18 AM
Last Post: AQA
  Boss trying to get me to quit. rovertdude 2 7,302 06-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Manley2